Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SFR Stage II exhaust headers DIY questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:30 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default SFR Stage II exhaust headers DIY questions

Could someone who has performed this answer a few questions.
It looks like a very tight fit, did you guys do it with the head on the block or did you remove the head?
The heatshields seems to be in the way, has anyone been able to retain it?
I know that cylinder #1, inside exhaust stud has to be short, any other ones that I should be aware of?
What tightening pattern did you guys use? Did you tighten the corssover part 1st or did you do the ends 1st?
Thanks for sharing yoru experiences.
Raj
Old 04-03-2007, 11:33 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was looking at taking the headers off as part of resealing the oil cooler, I was told I had to either take the headers off with the head, or you can take the studs out of the block (some like to replace with something like the Saturn studs or Sharky's new studs to make removal easier) and then remove the headers with the head on. In my case, there wasn't enough room to remove the headers with the studs still in the head.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:47 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Thanks mtnman82. I already have the saturn studs. I guess the head has to go on 1st. the problem I saw is that it is impossible to clear the body with the header on the head. I can't align the head to teh head studs since the body comes in the way to allow me to do this.
Raj
Old 04-03-2007, 01:03 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Thanks mtnman82. I already have the saturn studs. I guess the head has to go on 1st. the problem I saw is that it is impossible to clear the body with the header on the head. I can't align the head to teh head studs since the body comes in the way to allow me to do this.
Raj
I heard that some people loose the passanger side motor mount and with a jack tilt the engine enough to clear the headers.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:56 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't have the SFR Stage II header (wish I did), but I have removed/installed the stock headers while still attached to the head. What worked for me was have them mounted, but as loose as possible with the nuts just threaded on a few turns. This allowed me to manuver everything into place. Maybe this will help with your SFR. Lets see some pics of that thing!!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:56 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
I heard that some people loose the passanger side motor mount and with a jack tilt the engine enough to clear the headers.
Interesting, might be worth a try. I will let everyone know how it worked out.
Raj
Old 04-03-2007, 02:01 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could someone who has performed this answer a few questions.
So you got SFR Stage 2 Header? Very nice. You may want to reach out to Chris White, for I'm sure he's installed a few in the past. Have fun and good luck.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:56 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
So you got SFR Stage 2 Header? Very nice. You may want to reach out to Chris White, for I'm sure he's installed a few in the past. Have fun and good luck.

Thanks. If only I can get them to fit now. I would feel bad calling calling Chris since I would be wasting his time.
Raj
Old 04-03-2007, 02:57 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
I don't have the SFR Stage II header (wish I did), but I have removed/installed the stock headers while still attached to the head. What worked for me was have them mounted, but as loose as possible with the nuts just threaded on a few turns. This allowed me to manuver everything into place. Maybe this will help with your SFR. Lets see some pics of that thing!!
I tried that, no luck. The factory headers are somewhat flat and don't require as much clearance.
Thanks.
Raj
Old 04-03-2007, 03:09 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Raj: These are going in the 968 correct? I'm wondering if there are any differences between that engine bays of the 968 and 951 that could cause you some unique problems.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:15 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Solo, I wish I knew the answer. I am on the phone with Tim as I am typing. He rcommended the same solution as Louis A. The part that is a bummer is I might have to lose the heatshield .
Raj
Old 04-03-2007, 03:46 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

I know that on my car they cut a significant portion of the heat sheild away. I assumed it was so that the intercooler piping would clear but now I wonder if it was to clear the headers.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:58 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

After speaking to Tim, I get the impression that the heatshields can be saved. He also recommended that I do the same thing, loosen the passenger side motormount and jack up the engine a bit. I will give it a try and let everyone know. Its a pretty tight fit but I know plenty are using it, so has been done before.
On another note, I went ahead and had Jon Milledge rework the head, spec a cam and I also switched to a 3 inch inlet on the GT3076R. So the setup will have all this plus the SFR header. Hopefully, the gains will be substantial. For now, the boost will remain at 14.5 psi. Might bump it up a bit later right before its time to get it dynotuned with the new setup.
Raj
Old 04-03-2007, 04:10 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The part that is a bummer is I might have to lose the heatshield. Raj
I'm sure that all you have to do is modify it, but "dont" quote me on that and hold me to it. As I said, I would get in touch with Chris he'll know. Send him a PM, but it's your call.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:39 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
This is the best method.

Quick Reply: SFR Stage II exhaust headers DIY questions