Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

To anyone considering a Fidanza/930 disc/KEP pp combo, think again..

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:17 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marksportcts
That one is made by Spec for Lindsey Racing, and with material removed from the outside, it ends up being similar to the Fidanza's rotational mass.
Seems they dont sell the one I bought anymore. I have the yellow painted one, not that new scalloped one.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about throwing another variable into this thread, but has anyone tried or have any info on the Spec Billet steel FW from Lindsey? I've looked at this several times and it seems to offer a good combo of light weight and steel comstruction. I'm in a re-build currently and probably should do a new clutch with the added hp (350+) and have considered this set-up. I've seen much about the KEP PP/930 set-up. Any comparisons?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:31 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
Why are you double clutching ????????
Cause I think its fun

Also, its good for the life of your tranny. Also, its a good technique on the track, so practicing it daily helps with that. (this isn't really much of a reason, mostly I just think its fun)
Old 04-07-2007, 04:36 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ivai
Jason @ Paragon Products posted this a while back (930 on the left, Cup on the right):

In Jason's original post, he stated the 930 disc was exactly the same thickness as a cup disc, the only difference being the size/number of springs on the hub, and the ID of the friction surface. So I see no way that the 930 wouldn't work where the cup would.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

So my understanding is the difference between the 930 & Cup is the clamping ability or torque capabilities? That being said, what do you think of this set-up...KEP 1 PP/930 disc/Spec Billet FW. Has anyone used this set-up?
Old 04-07-2007, 12:42 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fluidplay
So my understanding is the difference between the 930 & Cup is the clamping ability or torque capabilities? That being said, what do you think of this set-up...KEP 1 PP/930 disc/Spec Billet FW. Has anyone used this set-up?

No , but I have one thats going in
Old 04-07-2007, 01:07 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the KEP I/930 disk/Fidenza combo that WAS going to go on, until I read this thread (clutch & everything all the way out - just about to put all this on, then I read Jeff's original thread ...). I'm leaning towards lightening and using the stock flywheel now ....
Old 04-07-2007, 03:05 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mtnman82
I have the KEP I/930 disk/Fidenza combo that WAS going to go on, until I read this thread (clutch & everything all the way out - just about to put all this on, then I read Jeff's original thread ...). I'm leaning towards lightening and using the stock flywheel now ....
You are reading too much into all this..............use the Fidanza w/the KEP with a Cup disk and ditch the 930 and you will be fine. I can assure you that you will never warp the Fidanza unless you take up residence at the strip in Palmdale and live in the burn out box.......
Old 04-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fluidplay

Clamping force is a function of the pressure plate, which AFAIK is exactly the same between the stock clutch and cup clutch. The only factor that really changes between different types of discs is the type of material and friction coefficient of that material. It's tough to tell by pictures but, the 930 disc and cup disc both look to have similar enough organic facings that there probably isn't a whole lot of difference. The only real difference I know of is the 930 disc has a larger surface area. Things like cintered iron, full metallic, or puck clutches tend to have much more abrasive (higher friction coefficient) materials, which grip much better.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:10 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DanG
In Jason's original post, he stated the 930 disc was exactly the same thickness as a cup disc, the only difference being the size/number of springs on the hub, and the ID of the friction surface. So I see no way that the 930 wouldn't work where the cup would.
I measured the thickness of the 930 disc and and the Cup disc one after another -- the 930 disc was 1mm thicker than the Cup disc. Jason and Chuck at Paragon also measured a 930 disc and a Cup disc one after another, and got the same result.

If you don't believe me call them
Old 04-07-2007, 07:30 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

My mistake then Jeff. I have a Fidanza, 930 disc, and KEP stage 2 for my project. It was my understanding that 930 and Cup discs were interchangeable with only those slight physical differences and a decent cost delta (930 is cheaper by $90). Paragon does still have both the cup and 930 discs listed for 944s and says it "Fits with no modification."

Seems odd that Jason, Chuck, and the rest of the gang at Paragon would sell the disc without testing it themselves, or having a few customers verify it was a working combo.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:50 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

BTW, this is the post I was talking about when I said only the ID and springs were reported to be different (thickness the same)

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...57#post2561657

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
Ok, just to clarify a bit. With a clutch disc we talk about the friction material O.D, the friction material I.D. and the friction material thickness. With regard to the 930 disc vs. the "Cup" disc, the O.D of the two, is the same, the thickness is the same, but the I.D. is different. The I.D. of the 930 disc is smaller, so you have more friction "area" on the 930 disc than you do the "Cup" disc. As a matter of fact, when you match the two discs to the pressure area on the pressure plate, the 930 disc almost exactly matches the surface area of the pressure plate whereas the "Cup" disc is smaller. Both will work great, but the additional surface area and lower cost make the 930 disc an attractive alternative.
This was the active thread when I ordered my clutch kit, and based on Jason's posts, as well as reports of successful use from some of the guys (jwl, magown, lart), I decided to buy it. I don't know if each of those guys had the Fidanza flywheel, but I believe they all did have the 930/KEP at a minimum.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

OK, so the question still stands, $90 aside for the cup, which disc performs best? Is it worth the additional dollars to go.. cup? or is the 930 a better disc due to the greater surface area?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:03 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

One other thing I should re-iterate..

I'm not saying that its impossible for a 930 disc to work with the Fidanza and KEP. However, it is my experience that the 930 disc gives you less margin for error, and in my case it was too much less.

My thrust bearing is slightly worn (.008" crank play, .015" is wear limit), and my clutch release lever is slightly worn. I don't know, but if I had a new clutch release lever and/or a new thrust bearing, I might've been fine with the 930 disc.. However every one of the 4 clutch release levers I've seen in the last few months were worn to some extent, mine the least of all. And $380 for a new clutch release lever hardly seems justified when you could just get a $90 more clutch disc.

Fluidplay, there are several people who have stated that the 930 disc works with the KEP pp just fine with the stock flywheel.. As far as which disc "performs" better (seems like the performance difference would be trival to me, as long as you're using the KEP pp).. I don't know. The KEP is rated to 600 ft/lbs of torque with the Cup disc -- I can't imagine its far off with the 930 disc.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:55 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Jeff, describe how you're measuring crank end play.

Quick Reply: To anyone considering a Fidanza/930 disc/KEP pp combo, think again..