Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
If we look at increasing the size of all these pre-port components, what part does the actual turbo inlet/outlet play? For example if we have a 2" outlet isn't this the restriction from the get go?

Yep. Having any restriction at any point of the path of airflow is going to reduce the effectiveness of "upgrading" other areas, however it doesn't completely negate the need to upgrade. This is pretty apparent as even with the stock IC end tank mods people still see power increases. Check out dynos of the LR stage 5 and SFR IC as well. Even with other stock components like a stock intake, stock TB, etc there are still worthwhile gains to be had, even on a stock turbo.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not like the idea of cutting the frame because of bigger IC. Have any of you experience of water/air IC's mounted on 951? Water/air IC can be rather small and still have a capacity what bigger "normal" IC have.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The way I understand it that HP really is not the key but air flow more of a factor. Basically stock head, No need for more than a stage two IC
To simply answer your question, there are two issues to concider when dealing with an intercooler:

1. AIR FLOW. The intercooler is but one component of the entire intake/exhaust system (flow). If you upgrade to increase flow, then the intercooler should also be considered. Your upgrades to improve flow (exhaust, turbo, head, intake, maf, air filter) will only be as good as the most restrictive component. Thus a less restrictive intercooler should be concidered.

2. HEAT. When air is compressed, it heats up (Laws of Physics). A turbocharger is just a fancy air compressor. So if you increase boost (increase the compression of combustion air) you will increase heat load. To reduce the risk of "pre-detonation" you will need to reduce the intake air temps on a similar factor as the added heat from the boost increase. Thus a larger intercooler which can reject more heat should again be concidered.

Reliability and Horsepower are simply byproducts of all the above, and then some.

Last edited by Bill; 03-23-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

A bit of Intercooler history or "When and Why" the intercooler was invented.

In the 70's, Porsche set out to break the "Closed Circuit" speed record. Porsche sent Roger Penske and Mark Donahue to Datona with a shiny new turbocharged 917.

Wow, SHINY NEW 917. That thought is like Christmas in my head......

After several attempts, Donahue melted down two of the beautiful 917 engines. Penske called the engineers at Porsche and a couple of days later, the Wizards at Weisach sent Penske an "intercooler". Penske installed this "intercooler" and then Donahue with his BIG brass cahones, proceeded to smash the record. Sadly Mark Donahue's cahones were eventually larger than his skill, and he was lossed in a fatal racing accident. RIP Mark Donahue, one of the greatest Porsche hot shoes.

EXCELLENCE WAS EXPECTED - The Porsche/Penske/Donahue record stood till the 90's. An Indy car was used to finally break the mighty 917's record.

REMEMBER: Those do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

Discaimer: The above trivia was reconstituted from my decrepid memory. Exacting facts of the actual events are not implied.

Last edited by Bill; 03-23-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:37 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Yep. Having any restriction at any point of the path of airflow is going to reduce the effectiveness of "upgrading" other areas, however it doesn't completely negate the need to upgrade. This is pretty apparent as even with the stock IC end tank mods people still see power increases. Check out dynos of the LR stage 5 and SFR IC as well. Even with other stock components like a stock intake, stock TB, etc there are still worthwhile gains to be had, even on a stock turbo.
So as we know there are quite large turbo's with 2" outlets, if we go up to 2.5 or even 3" pipes do we not lose some pressure. Like a river flowing into a bay sort of effect?
Old 03-23-2007, 08:29 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AlexE
Here is an early test fit.
is this the one? lookes like one of the better solutions imho and might even route the tubes with no cutting, gonna do some measurements.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...9901QQtcZphoto

Last edited by anders44; 03-23-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
So as we know there are quite large turbo's with 2" outlets, if we go up to 2.5 or even 3" pipes do we not lose some pressure. Like a river flowing into a bay sort of effect?
My understanding is that you should think more in terms of flow. Flow restrictions will case a pressure drop, therefore reducing any such restrictions will be helpful provided the method does not result in too great a volume increase in relation to the rest of the system. If there is too great a volumetric increase, you may experience some lag as the system pressurizes.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 PM
AlexE
Pro

Originally Posted by anders44
is this the one? lookes like one of the better solutions imho and might even route the tubes with no cutting, gonna do some measurements.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...9901QQtcZphoto
Thats the one.........

Now go and weld some longer outlets and sell it for 899.00

I think the Anders Stage 1 would work.......

I went with the 2.5 inch inlet/outlet since I am running 2.5 hard pipes.........

In case you are wondering I have a 1 7/8-2" outlet on the turbo.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:18 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

since it has backward exit pipes it can sit higher and get more airflow not obstructed by liscense plates part of bumper, also actually easier to do pipes, yes 2.5" should be more than enough.. I only find backwards 2.5" anyway, the v-mount top thing that special tool has is 3" though.

makeing a cardboard mockup and removeing the bumper to doe some testing..

flowwise backward exit and input is bad compared to let's say the one special tool has, but the added exposed surface area should hopefully make up for it, also it covers less of the radiator.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:56 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps an intercooler originally meant for a Grand National:

Ebay Grand National Intercooler

It looks almost as though the intercooler inlet and outlet will fit through the stock location...

Rogue
Old 03-24-2007, 02:26 AM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Yeah, been following this thread for a few days and had the same thoughts as Rogue regarding the G/N cooler...looks like it might go. I won't have access to my car for a couple of weeks. Can anyone else do a mockup on this one?

Old 03-24-2007, 02:28 AM
Tms951
Pro

Originally Posted by special tool
Why do you always chastize me answering a direct question by the ****ing thread starter, kid????
I answered the ****ing question.
Don't read into my statements.
OBVIOUSLY (to a non-moron) the stock cooler is not good for sustained 600 HP.
You made a statement I found to be misleading, yes you directly answered his question. But if he is asking about the intercooler because he does no know much about it and then you say you put 600hp through it that could lead him to think it is good for 600hp applications. You did not expand on the circumstances of the run. So with out being a moron but simply not being familiar with the intercooler it is not obvious how much it can and can not handle, especialy when some one comes on and says they used it for 600hp but then does not go on to say while this was done it is not sugested because while it can be forced for a very short period of time it would not work for longer real world situations. It just came across to me as another "I made 600hp" post with out being helpful, and IMO misleading. I chastize you because I feel you make posts that are misleading because of not posting the whole story and leaving out important parts of the equation. All I am saying is some people it is not as obvious as you think and if you are going to take the time to post why not take a little more time and expand on what you are saying so as to not be misleading by leaving out important info.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:30 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great, this is exactly what we don't need.. take it off line.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334616
Now what was this post about?
Old 03-24-2007, 03:42 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Please explain, with pictures, how do you place a 3" thick IC without cutting frame rails??

EDIT: And without slashing bumper cover?
Or is it so that the aluminium bumper has to be notched ( as well as bumper cover from inside ) to fit IC's outer corners? I guess then all those threaded studs on front frame rail have to cut off too?

I would like to see pictures taken from the top and bottom before proceeding...I do have one IC core here, just want to be sure before making end tanks and removing parts of my car.

Last edited by pete95zhn; 03-24-2007 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:58 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

This is the site of the guy who I am getting to make up a custom i/c which looks like it will fit similarly to ST's photo. His work is second to none and uses all the best components and cores. The welding is a work of art. Although I will be paying for it I am happy to have an expert make something just for my car rather than something off the shelf. The cheaper option will probably be approx 85% as good but I will leave the car with him on a Monday and pick it up on a Friday all fitted and drive away. I shall post photo's within a month.
http://www.plazmaman.com/

Quick Reply: intercooler