Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 11:23 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice runaway thread.

And how does all this assist Kevin with his 928 application?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:48 AM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, that depends. Is this the 928 forum?

Old 03-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Tms951
Pro

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
I do not like the idea of cutting the frame because of bigger IC. Have any of you experience of water/air IC's mounted on 951? Water/air IC can be rather small and still have a capacity what bigger "normal" IC have.
I think the Liquid to Air Barrel Intercooler from pwr-performance would work in the stock location. But they are expensive and you still need other parts and which cost and weigh more. But you could add ice to the water resivior and water to air intercoolers are meant to be very efficient.

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Hehe, it's a good thing you didn't go that large! Generally, in my experience, much over a ~3-3.5" thick core and the rear half of the core is significantly less effective at cooling. Going with something like 5" thick would be a waste of time as opposed to simply going with say a longer or taller core since you'd have more total surface area.
It is my understanding that if you two intercooler cores of the same volume but one was thicker with less surface area and the other thinner with more surface area the thinner one cools better and the thicker one flows better. I think this is where the power gains on the dyno come from with the Lindsey racing intercooler.

Originally Posted by beab951
Great, this is exactly what we don't need.. take it off line.
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...ad.php?t=334616
Now what was this post about?
I think you are off on this one (and truely off topic as well). John D. posted about knocking vendors and product (we didn't do this) and harassment (none of this either). He made a technical post, I found it to partialy to be misleading and gave my opinion (technical), I feel this is constructive on a technical thread. Then he replied asking me a question, I answered in a civil fasion, it was on topic because it gave reason and back ground to a prior technical post.

What I don't think this forum needs and has to much of is self apointed Moderators that conduct them selves like kindergarden teachers, we have moderators let them do thier job I doubt they need your help.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:39 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneqco
Thanks Patrick. I guess I was more concerned at the effect of the air being heated by the IC before actually getting to the radiator rather than just the flow to the radiator. Have they made any comments?

My concern is that with the power projections some of us have, it may be really pushing the envelope to expect the stock radiator to cope, especially if it has warmer air entering because of the IC position. Say we are increasing power output by 100% +, we have roughly that much extra heat that also needs to be dissipated. My other concern is that placement of the IC in front of the radiator may also limit the opportunity to upgrade the radiator if that does in fact become necessary.

Any comments?
He didn't seem concerned with this aspect although we won't know until it goes on just how much if at all it affects the radiator? As for upgrading the radiator possibly the space vacated by the old i/c may lend itself to modifying?
Old 03-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Tms951
Pro

Originally Posted by Geneqco
Thanks Patrick. I guess I was more concerned at the effect of the air being heated by the IC before actually getting to the radiator rather than just the flow to the radiator. Have they made any comments?

My concern is that with the power projections some of us have, it may be really pushing the envelope to expect the stock radiator to cope, especially if it has wamrer air entering because of the IC position. Say we are increasing power output by 100% +, we have roughly that much extra heat that also needs to be disipated. My other concern is that placement of the IC in front of the radiator may also limit the opportunity to upgrade the radiator if that does in fact become necessary.

Any comments?
The larger concern should lie in the radiator heating the intercooler. The air charge entering the intercooler is not that hot compaired to the coolent that enters the radiator. The problem with a front mount is the lack of air flow to the radiator and not its temp. Spacing the intercooler away from the radiator 2-3" helps alot in both problems. Venting the hood or nose panel between the radiator and intercooler because the air flow will leave that vent and never go through the radiator. Forcing air in between the two is also bad because air will not pass through the intercooler while it will go through the radiator.

A front mount tends not to be the best choice compaired to a v-mount, side mount (with good ducting) or a top mount. I liked the top mount of the stock design and went for the Lindsey Racing stage V intercooler, while the LR set up has some flaws like is thickness, it flows very well and there is no problems with the intercooler and radiator relationship. It also keeps the plumbing short compaired to a front mount. A front mount of equal core volume that is spaced off from the radiator will have better cooling but worse flow and more "lag". I also have tin ducting for my set up which helps alot.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SFR's intercooler is perfect, mine will be slightly larger than his regular one and sit in front of the radiator.

By ducting the back of the radiator to a vent you create suction that helps pull air through the IC and rad. Plus the cores Tim uses for his ICs are designed for optimum flow through keeping the radiator in mind.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:06 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by guns951
SFR's intercooler is perfect, mine will be slightly larger than his regular one and sit in front of the radiator.

By ducting the back of the radiator to a vent you create suction that helps pull air through the IC and rad. Plus the cores Tim uses for his ICs are designed for optimum flow through keeping the radiator in mind.
Have to disagree abour the perfect part. That IC sits low right behind the vented part of the bumper and IMO the majority of the cooling flow to the radiator comes from there. That location needs also long tubing , the shorter the tubing the better, not the case here. As far as the cores are concerned the only optimum flow core/cast endtanks would come from the aircraft industry at mega $$$ which I am sure are not used here, most likely it is a Spearco core, while good certainly not the best.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:31 AM
AlexE
Pro

I finally video taped a few tricks the new intercooler is capable of.........

Building boost at a standstill........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLH1aI3Wo4A
Old 03-30-2007, 11:43 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

I see you are making ~10psi reving it. IIRC tedwrights car with the stage 2 turbo and full SFR 3" exhaust made like 7psi.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:30 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by TRP951
I see you are making ~10psi reving it. IIRC tedwrights car with the stage 2 turbo and full SFR 3" exhaust made like 7psi.
That's right.
I have said this before.
Changing from stock to larger IC with a larger turbocharger will LOWER boost onset.
In other words, contrary to a lot of turkeys (some are even vendors)
You will get BETTER spoolup with a larger IC when you have a larger turbocharger on your 951.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:36 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by special tool
That's right. I have said this before. Changing from stock to larger IC with a larger turbocharger will LOWER boost onset. In other words, contrary to a lot of turkeys (some are even vendors) you will get BETTER spoolup with a larger IC when you have a larger turbocharger on your 951.
Yes, Master Of The Obvious!

Old 03-30-2007, 07:13 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

That's right.
I have said this before.
Changing from stock to larger IC with a larger turbocharger will LOWER boost onset.
You will get BETTER spoolup with a larger IC when you have a larger turbocharger on your 951.
Oh great M.O.T.O. what ducting / venting do you suggest for the front mounted i/c?
Old 03-30-2007, 07:15 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

That's right.
I have said this before.
Oh master, I knew you knew its was not rocket science. I stated that earlier in the thread and got shot down.. hmm you most know somone.. ob1 kanobe
Old 03-30-2007, 07:35 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That's right.
What's up with that avatar too Tool?

Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member