Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive
View Poll Results: Do we need a moderator for the 951 forum?
Yes, a moderator for the 951 forum to help John D. is a good idea
36.11%
No, just drop it, we don't need another moderator
63.89%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Mod poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lanny Curlett
I nominate your girlfriend!!!!
I'm with Lanny...I'll do anything she tells me to
Old 03-14-2007, 12:49 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley
Self moderation is simple. You either post something constructive and or useful, or you post nothing.
This is an excellent philosophy. However, there are many people that do not follow this line of thinking. There are others, probably all of us, who sometimes forget. If everyone would/could follow this 'simple' philosophy, there would be no need for moderators at all. IMO, it is up to the individual posters to keep things civil, and up to the moderators to step in when things get uncivil.

I just got online a few minutes ago, looked at 3 threads, and one right here in the 944turbo forum contains blatant disrespectful childish dialogue. Self moderation indeed...

Good philosophy, but unrealistic to expect it from everyone all the time.
Originally Posted by tommo951
Regarding moderators, should we not call them censors
IMO, the position of moderator is not to censor what is said, but to remind people to be civil when dialogue turns into flame wars. I have not seen censorship in these forums.

I view prohibiting street racing stories not as censorship, but as an effort to keep the substance of these threads tech related. This is a tech forum, and there is no tech related information in any of the kill story threads I have read. The Off Topic forum would be a more appropriate venue for street racing stories. There is a time and place for everything.

I would rather have enforced rules which preserve the intent of this online resource, then to have no rules and watch it go down the crapper. I am not sure it is any worse now than it was a couple years ago when I joined, but I can certainly say that it isn't any better.

Can anyone honestly say that the atmosphere here on Rennlist is any better now than it was one/two/three years ago? If not, why not? This is where moderators can and should be making a difference.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:23 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search and you will find way too many threads like this one(not to mention twice as many that have met the abyss)...and those who have been there done that know... It is like a spinning top and it will revolve around it's own center or eventually circle down the drain. Those that appreciate it for what it is are cool with the ebb and flow. Those that know it could be more, get frustrated knowing that there will be aholes come in shoot off then **** off. They know some great tech will come in and move on.
Of course don't forget the historians who will stop by on occasion to tell you how it used to be
Moderators no matter how bad *** can't handle us Turbo guys.

If you can't take the heat, don't spool the turbo!

Finally and this is the most important if not only thing you need to take from this. You are playing in someone else's pool and if you **** in it they will kick you out!...ok sometimes you don't even have to **** in it to get kicked out.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:33 AM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Censoring an internet forum is the epitome of what our society is quickly becoming. So intent are we on sheltering the weak and thin skinned from thoughts that may offend them, that the lack of such thoughts make them weaker and thinner skinned. This naturally increases the number of thoughts that we must shelter these poor, helpless little people from. It's the never ending spiral of political correctness and the entire idea can gently pucker against my rear quarter. One whining baby complaining about what someone types should stick his head into a marine corps barracks one day...likely put him into a coma.

It is not like someone posting in this forum has come knocking on your door to blast you with his opinion...if you don't like it..just skip it. Simply don't read it, or better yet get over yourself and quit whining about it.

Bill
Old 03-14-2007, 08:15 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to think that people posting on an internet forum viewable by anyone worldwide would demonstrate more civility and tact than those having a conversation in a marine corps barrack. There is a big difference between political correctness and civility. Civility provides a welcoming atmosphere for noobies and encourages participation, a trait Rennlist would benefit from.
Censoring an internet forum is the epitome of what our society is quickly becoming.
There are increasingly more rules placed upon our society because people act like idiots. Cause and effect.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall
We're better off with a non-951 guy IMHO. A good mod is a good mod. It makes little difference, but a non-951 guy won't find a reason to get involved in the conversation and will be much more prone to remaining nuetral.

Originally Posted by lart951
Alright, that's why Randy is the mod for the 928 forums , i see good point.
Haha - you got that right, lart!

Old 03-14-2007, 10:25 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

You know Engish is my 2nd language and it is so sad that so many didn't undertand the purpose of adding a 944 Turbo moderator, it wasn't to censor or to exercise a dictatorship, but to assist John D. on dealing with rennlist. When he shut down the OT forum, on his post John expressed a great deal of frustation on dealing with reports from the sissy girls that get hurt all the time, so I was just suggesting someone to relief some of that pressure from John D. check his post.

by John D. I came home tonight - and had no fewer than 39 "REPORTED POSTS" from this forum alone - and in less than 12 hours...??

That is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:28 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill,

"Censoring an internet forum is the epitome of what our society is quickly becoming. So intent are we on sheltering the weak and thin skinned from thoughts that may offend them, that the lack of such thoughts make them weaker and thinner skinned. This naturally increases the number of thoughts that we must shelter these poor, helpless little people from. It's the never ending spiral of political correctness and the entire idea can gently pucker against my rear quarter. One whining baby complaining about what someone types should stick his head into a marine corps barracks one day...likely put him into a coma.

It is not like someone posting in this forum has come knocking on your door to blast you with his opinion...if you don't like it..just skip it. Simply don't read it, or better yet get over yourself and quit whining about it."

That's exactly what I meant, in a nutshell.
But, you elaborated and it was even better.

lart951,
John D just has to make one administrative post:
"sissy girls will not be responded to"

problem solved
Old 03-15-2007, 12:23 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I was debating whether I should post on this thread or not since my name has been mentioned as a possible candidate. In the end I figured I should just so that my viewpoint could be seen as well. To be clear I have never asked or campaigned for any moderator position however I do feel that it would be beneficial to have one at times. Especially when the original intent of a thread gets diverted into a purely negative context that results in pages upon pages of really hateful, meaningless text. The issue isn't one of sheltering people from anything but more one of ensuring that the forum itself doesn't dissolve due to an abyss of name calling and pointless discussion. Even the marine corps has a command and control structure and from what I understand a rather brutal one at that. If there were no consequences for not following the rules - and I believe the marines still have rules to follow - I would seriously question the effectiveness of the force as a whole. The issue with moderation isn't to protect people's sensitivities but to ensure that the forum rules are adhered to. There are lots of forums out there and I think the last thing any one of us wants is for people to generally have a better experience and exchange of ideas on a forum other than Rennlist. Unlike the marines people on the internet don't have to put up with the BS - especially when going somewhere else is as easy as clicking a button.

I also don't think the role of moderator is one that people such as Randy or John really say they want to actively perform on a daily basis. After all who wants to be the guy who has to walk into every **** storm and then have to sort through all the bickering? I can see that getting tiring really fast and I fully understand the recent frustration that John has shown with the Rennlist membership. The only reason I would even entertain the idea is if John D. said to me that he could use the help.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:16 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall
We're better off with a non-951 guy IMHO. A good mod is a good mod. It makes little difference, but a non-951 guy won't find a reason to get involved in the conversation and will be much more prone to remaining nuetral.

Haha - you got that right, lart!

Randy, since you have a direct connection to the man in charge could you ask him to take a look at this thread and give us a little feedback, whenever he gets a chance. I am trying to help not to cause more trouble.

TIA

Lart
Old 03-15-2007, 01:55 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

I must be blind and dumb, I never knew there wasn't a mod. I guess after 3 years it must not be that bad or we would have one by now. I'll be honest and am not directing this at anyone; there sometimes seems to be a serious gang defense applied when certain 'individuals' say something that might be construed by them as bashing vendors, a product, or a service facility. This same information might be seen as a 'heads up' by others here that were considering this product or service. There's been some very heated arguments that blew themselves out and others that left a slow fire burning. Some posters are funny, some are dull, many stretch the truth, and some are just plain rude to others. If we are not mature enough to separate that on our own we shouldn't have a keyboard IMO. If John thinks it's an issue and we a need a Mommy I'm sure he will let the Forum know. In the meantime, think twice and type once.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:54 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
Search and you will find way too many threads like this one(not to mention twice as many that have met the abyss)...and those who have been there done that know... It is like a spinning top and it will revolve around it's own center or eventually circle down the drain. Those that appreciate it for what it is are cool with the ebb and flow. Those that know it could be more, get frustrated knowing that there will be aholes come in shoot off then **** off. They know some great tech will come in and move on.
Of course don't forget the historians who will stop by on occasion to tell you how it used to be
Moderators no matter how bad *** can't handle us Turbo guys.

If you can't take the heat, don't spool the turbo!

Finally and this is the most important if not only thing you need to take from this. You are playing in someone else's pool and if you **** in it they will kick you out!...ok sometimes you don't even have to **** in it to get kicked out.
amen...
Old 03-15-2007, 02:57 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh and as a retired Marine...leave us outta this piddly crap!
Old 03-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
Randy, since you have a direct connection to the man in charge could you ask him to take a look at this thread and give us a little feedback, whenever he gets a chance. I am trying to help not to cause more trouble.

TIA

Lart

Hey, not ignoring ya!

I did tell JD about this thread and he said he would drop by. I'm guessin' he's been real busy lately?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:33 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That reminds me. I need to re-up my membership. I got flippant with John and asked for my money back because of that retarded Drifto thread...and he gave it back. lol I didn't really want it. oops. Good for him though. lol

Quick Reply: Mod poll