Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive
View Poll Results: Do we need a moderator for the 951 forum?
Yes, a moderator for the 951 forum to help John D. is a good idea
36.11%
No, just drop it, we don't need another moderator
63.89%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Mod poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:45 AM
BKiller
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is always going to be some idiot causing trouble on a forum. I see it on every forum I visit. I would worry about too much moderating though as then it makes the forum conform to the mod's agenda rather than let it lead to new ideas. As long as there is an 'ignore' function, I don't see the need for someone out there deleting posts. If you see someone posting something you don't like or don't agree with several times, just set them to 'ignore' and move on with your life. Anyone silly enough to get in a battle with a troll deserves to get all worked up and get their feelings hurt...
Old 03-13-2007, 10:52 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a mod would have to be someone who frequents that particular forum. Could you imagine being a 911 mod, and having to read through 911 threads all day. Good grief...

Self-moderation should be sufficient. However, since people can't behave themselves in the real world (hence the need for the police), they certainly can't be expected to behave in our 'virtual' world. I think a swift smack upside the head once in a while could do wonders to keep things more civil around here.

It would be nice to see a mod delete 'for sale' threads posted by non-members, and 'carfax request' threads, instead of everyone else getting into pissing matches about them. Vigilanteism (sp?) just creates problems.

Those types of things should be handled by mods, but never seem to be. The rules clearly state that 'carfax' and 'for sale by non-member' threads will be deleted. When is the last time you saw one of those deleted? If rules aren't enforced, then people will not follow them to begin with. If rules are selectively enforced, then people get pissed off. Someone who is consistent in their approach is needed, and I think would be of great value to our forums.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:03 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BKiller
If you see someone posting something you don't like or don't agree with several times, just set them to 'ignore' and move on with your life. Anyone silly enough to get in a battle with a troll deserves to get all worked up and get their feelings hurt...
I agree. However, the problem I see with just ignoring people, is that the crap they spew remains for everyone else to read. You can only shift through so much crap before the stink becomes overwhelming and you have to leave the room.

A forum's survival and ability to flourish depends upon it's perceived value. If that value is clouded with crap (lack of new ideas, lack of knowledgeable participants, petty bickering, etc.) then the forum dies.

Moderators help to keep the crap at bay, so the value of the forum can be recognized by it's participants. They help to keep the air fresh so it doesn't stink so bad in here, and therefore people will want to stay.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:37 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know. I haven't been here for a while because of a lot of **** being thrown here. I think it's a double edged sword. There's **** talkers and instigators. They need moderating. Then there's favoritism I've witnessed when the moderating is being done in the past. Then there's a point when there's too much moderating and it's no more fun to be here. Finally, there's the post from John D. himself about not having the street racing threads here anymore. If someone gooses their car on the road and takes someone out, I'd love hearing about it. I understand about the weaving in and out of traffic with stupidity and the possibility of hurting yourself or innocent others but it's gotten out of hand. For now, I'm just going to sit back and wait for a 968 tranny to come up for sale and see where these boards go. Just my .02
Old 03-13-2007, 03:50 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have offered to help out with this many times....
Old 03-13-2007, 04:44 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Maybe bring back NZ951 to "moderate" this list???

Damn, I'm a genius!
Old 03-13-2007, 05:48 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't need anymore moderating.
It's the same thing, in case anybody has noticed, as our modern society having gone to hell with government over regulating our lives "for our own good".
In case anybody is wondering, extreme over-regulation is called communism.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:07 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Don't need anymore moderating.
It's the same thing, in case anybody has noticed, as our modern society having gone to hell with government over regulating our lives "for our own good".
In case anybody is wondering, extreme over-regulation is called communism.
No Tommy - that would be fascism.
Communism is as far left as it gets - of the people and for the people.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work (without force) because of human nature.
I'll stick with democracy - a nice balance.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
I don't know. I haven't been here for a while because of a lot of **** being thrown here. I think it's a double edged sword. There's **** talkers and instigators. They need moderating. Then there's favoritism I've witnessed when the moderating is being done in the past. Then there's a point when there's too much moderating and it's no more fun to be here. Finally, there's the post from John D. himself about not having the street racing threads here anymore. If someone gooses their car on the road and takes someone out, I'd love hearing about it. I understand about the weaving in and out of traffic with stupidity and the possibility of hurting yourself or innocent others but it's gotten out of hand. For now, I'm just going to sit back and wait for a 968 tranny to come up for sale and see where these boards go. Just my .02
I nominate your girlfriend!!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 07:26 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
I feel just as you do about the posts concerning spirited driving and having fun. Its a real part of owning a sports car much less a porsche. Its something we all expeirence to some degree and as long as posts are tasteful I don't see a problem with it.

The majority of us im sure feel the exact same way. In moderation using common sense we've all been there.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:51 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem is a problem until someone makes it a problem. If the discussions surrounding the new found problem get to much attention the only working solution is to outlaw the problem.

Which is sad because it may not have been much of a problem until people started flaming discussions about it.

I wish people would stop doing stupid street racing and resort to the old fashioned occasional performance comparisons instead..
Old 03-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Self moderation is simple. You either post something constructive and or useful, or you post nothing.

Welcoming the newbs, and consoling the stricken preserves our base, which will always change over time.

Talking about what we love about our cars is the glue that holds us together. I'm really sorry about the ''no kill'' policy, but I understand why it exists.

I tend to contribute more on other forums, and less here. Why ? I guess I feel I'm not cutting edge enough, but more than that, I don't get a sense of Team Spirit here. I get that we all love Turbos, or at least our own turbos, and that is a common bond. The question is, how do we start bonding, and do we want to ?

Now go look in a mirror, and repeat the following phrase. "I like myself, and I want to start bonding." That's great ! Now say it again, only this time, smile at yourself while saying it. That's it ! With each repitition, your urge to belong to a great forum will increase. Remember, don't overdo it the first day. Just don't quit. One person quit , and now his engine is making negative horsepower.

Do not break the chain. LOL
Old 03-13-2007, 08:30 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley
Self moderation is simple. You either post something constructive and or useful, or you post nothing.

Welcoming the newbs, and consoling the stricken preserves our base, which will always change over time.

Talking about what we love about our cars is the glue that holds us together. I'm really sorry about the ''no kill'' policy, but I understand why it exists.

I tend to contribute more on other forums, and less here. Why ? I guess I feel I'm not cutting edge enough, but more than that, I don't get a sense of Team Spirit here. I get that we all love Turbos, or at least our own turbos, and that is a common bond. The question is, how do we start bonding, and do we want to ?

Now go look in a mirror, and repeat the following phrase. "I like myself, and I want to start bonding." That's great ! Now say it again, only this time, smile at yourself while saying it. That's it ! With each repitition, your urge to belong to a great forum will increase. Remember, don't overdo it the first day. Just don't quit. One person quit , and now his engine is making negative horsepower.

Do not break the chain. LOL
muahahaha best post evar!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:32 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

I understand JohnD's motives but the don't do this, don't do that attitude and litigious society is making people scared to do anything anyway. The is supposed to be a discussion and debating forum. Sometimes debates get heated but thats life. What would happen if government was stopped from debating matters properly and everybody had to agree to disagree without even looking at other views? A friend of mine has just moved to Lithuania where he enjoys a fantastic lifestyle is treated like royalty and lives like a king off modest savings. Out there they still have a live and let live attitude. I think we could all learn a thing or two. Regarding moderators, should we not call them censors, is this not what the Russians used to do to news? I agree there can be times when things get out of hand. Usually the listers get things back on track without need for mods.
Then there is the occassional advert from a non member who is selling a few bits. Well there is a way to stop that. Make Rennlist members only, that way they will not be able to sell anything or even join the gang at all. But in truth what harm is being done? Sometimes it may even work in the listers favour.
Is this forum about what we have in common or or our differences? We all love our cars and like to talk about them?? Nuff said?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:37 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tommo951
I understand JohnD's motives but the don't do this, don't do that attitude and litigious society is making people scared to do anything anyway. The is supposed to be a discussion and debating forum. Sometimes debates get heated but thats life. What would happen if government was stopped from debating matters properly and everybody had to agree to disagree without even looking at other views? A friend of mine has just moved to Lithuania where he enjoys a fantastic lifestyle is treated like royalty and lives like a king off modest savings. Out there they still have a live and let live attitude. I think we could all learn a thing or two. Regarding moderators, should we not call them censors, is this not what the Russians used to do to news? I agree there can be times when things get out of hand. Usually the listers get things back on track without need for mods.
Then there is the occassional advert from a non member who is selling a few bits. Well there is a way to stop that. Make Rennlist members only, that way they will not be able to sell anything or even join the gang at all. But in truth what harm is being done? Sometimes it may even work in the listers favour.
Is this forum about what we have in common or or our differences? We all love our cars and like to talk about them?? Nuff said?

hmmm

nicely put, nicely put indeed.

Quick Reply: Mod poll