Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Leda Shocks is Closing shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:50 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

There are some other, uh, Front Engined Porsche that may be interested in the KW offerings as well.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:01 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendanC
There are some other, uh, Front Engined Porsche that may be interested in the KW offerings as well.
I'm not sure that even the race spec KW's can put up with the weight of a 928 if that's what you mean? lol
Old 03-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
Thumbs up KW Competition 2-way, 3-way, Club Sport, etc....

>> the 2-way race is made especially for you

Yes that is one of the main differences. KW will take the setup info you give them a custom design a valving and spring combination that works best for your situation. How many other companies ask you the following when you order a suspension? Driver Skill level, Type of Events, Track Surface, ARB dia., Camber, Castor, Total Weight, Corner Weights, etc...

Do you have to supply all of this info? Of course not. If unsure, we will use our database of similar cars to get you in the ball park. But if you do supply this info, like a pro racing team, you'll have a suspension engineer working for you back in Germany

Now about the differences.
Variant:
As was mentioned before we do not deal with the street car suspensions. As a competition parts retailer we focus on supporting those who track their cars. I've heard these are very good suspensions and they are making very strong inroads in the US German Tuner market and the Sport Compact markets. Again, huge in Europe already.

Club Sport:
This is what you would expect. Is a suspension designed to get you to and from the track without loosening your fillings but yet still offer you the level of control you need to hustle a world class sports car around Laguna, Sebring or Watkins Glen. (Note: The CS systems are just becoming available in Europe and we'll see them here shortly)

KW Competition 2-way:
Here begins KW's line of dedicated track suspensions. As was mentioned earlier you could get a 2-way system to and from the circuit without problems but these are no compromise race systems and therefore some things like damper noise, ride harshness and spring rates too stiff for bad roads may make street driving not practical for some. note: Unlike the variants, they are NOT designed to be driven in the salt!

The 2-ways are a heavy duty design, intended to take the abuse of hitting a curb at 100mph all day long. In addition to the custom adjustable low speed bump and rebound damping, other features on the 2-way include such things as a high speed compression "blow off", again custom tuned for your car, a Galvanized body, Linear racing springs, spherical bearing mounts, and all springs seats, tender springs, and in some cases camber plates. These systems are targeted toward the dedicated track car which does HPDEs, Club Racing (SCCA, PCA, NASA etc) and any classes where a true racing shock is required but where a suspension engineer or regular rebuilds are not required.

KW Competition 3-way:
The 3-ways are KW's top of the line shocks. When you order a KW 3-way you are getting the same dampers that have powered some pretty impressive names to victories over the past few years.
ALMS - Petersen Wht Lightening, Flying Lizard, 911 GT3 RSR
WTCC - Alex Zanardi BMW, Farfus Alfa Romeo
FIA GT3 - FIA GT3 Lamborghini
FIA GT - Zakspeed Saleen SR7
Nürburgring 24 - 10 class victories incl. Lucas Luhr/T Bernhard/M Rockenfeller, Manthey Racing, Porsche 911 GT3 MR, overall winner, 6 of the first 8 places are accomplished with KW.
.. and many more smaller series...

OK enough name dropping. The 3-way are on the cutting edge of damper design and those who have tried them are going faster. However you are going to need to be accomplished with shock valving and suspension setup to really get the most from these systems. With features like pressurized remote reservoirs, aluminum bodies, low inertia internals, and very responsive valving these are not a "set it and forget it" solution. But for those of you who have run JRZ, Moton, Sachs, etc and want what Manthey, Petersen and Flying Lizards, Zakspeed, etc. have found are the ultimate... we got 'em!

OK I'm probably WAY over the commercial post "borderline", but you guys asked and I appreciate being given the opportunity to introduce KW to you.

If you have questions, feel free to call or ask them here for the benefit of others.

PS - ACS has become a member of Rennlist. We're happy to support great resources such as this forum.

Last edited by Apex996; 02-04-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:42 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Bill, I have to say I have one possible disagreement in that unless you're really driving on extremely poor streets that I think that you can live with the 2-way race on a road and track car. My rates are 110N front and 50N rear with the 25.5mm torsion bars which equates to 616lb/in f and 708lb/in effective coilover. As I said unless I'm on really bad roads, then I find the positives completely outweigh the negatives and are still better than the modified stock setup I had on previously. I'm sure the Variant 3's are fine for many people but if you want something totally made for you and your car then there is no going past the 2-ways as far as I'm concerned.
Patrick
Old 03-09-2007, 06:54 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I'm not sure that even the race spec KW's can put up with the weight of a 928 if that's what you mean? lol
Ahh hah hah hah....Not Funny.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:54 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

2600 pounds is heavy?
Old 03-09-2007, 08:48 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There may be a buyout going on at Leda, as soon as I hear news will post
Old 03-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok you are in-country so may you can answer this. Are the problems with Leda related to its cash flow or is it the banks/courts taking actions against Leda for non payment. I know it is a privately owned company so financial details may be hard to come by. Or, is it something else that we don’t know?
Old 03-09-2007, 10:55 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Bill, I have to say I have one possible disagreement in that unless you're really driving on extremely poor streets that I think that you can live with the 2-way race on a road and track car. My rates are 110N front and 50N rear with the 25.5mm torsion bars which equates to 616lb/in f and 708lb/in effective coilover. As I said unless I'm on really bad roads, then I find the positives completely outweigh the negatives and are still better than the modified stock setup I had on previously. I'm sure the Variant 3's are fine for many people but if you want something totally made for you and your car then there is no going past the 2-ways as far as I'm concerned.
Patrick

Pat , very unlikely you are driving on the streets or track with such a stiff setup in the back , it would be murder on the streets
Old 03-10-2007, 01:31 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Pat , very unlikely you are driving on the streets or track with such a stiff setup in the back , it would be murder on the streets
Well if you are questioning the 50n KW springs + 25.5mm t-bar this is what I have in my car. If, however, you are questioning the 708lb/in, that is 'effective coilover' rate not spring rate. It's not something I quite understand but these are the figures worked out by Karl at RacersEdge. I think the spring rate at the rear is 320lb/in at the wheels. This is something I just don't get but I'm very happy to get in and drive the car on road and track which is the bottom line...I just wish I could do that instead of waiting since November to get in and drive the car again...not too much longer to go.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:13 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well if you are questioning the 50n KW springs + 25.5mm t-bar this is what I have in my car. If, however, you are questioning the 708lb/in, that is 'effective coilover' rate not spring rate. It's not something I quite understand but these are the figures worked out by Karl at RacersEdge.
Here is how I found you can do it. You have to look at were the spring is located on the arm and apply the formula. This is just a setup, doesn't always work to the math, that is why cars are tested on a track.

Front effective = 0.94 x spring rate
Rear coil over effective= 0.42 x spring rate
If you have a torsion bar, and it is setup neutral at rest, add to the rear rate the following amounts:
25mm 163.47#
26mm 191.24#
27mm 222.40#
28mm 257.22#
29mm 295.98#
30mm 338.97#
31mm 386.47#
And is were I found the calculations:
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/...on/springs.htm
http://www.teamassociated.com/racerh...wheel_rate.htm
http://www.athon-motorsport.co.uk/suspensioncalc1.html
These have a nice calculator built in
http://www.jblmotor.com/springrate.htm
http://www.proshocks.com/calcs/imotion.htm

Last edited by Bri Bro; 03-10-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:35 AM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by beab951
Ok you are in-country so may you can answer this. Are the problems with Leda related to its cash flow or is it the banks/courts taking actions against Leda for non payment. I know it is a privately owned company so financial details may be hard to come by. Or, is it something else that we don’t know?
It is a private Ltd company so accounts are a matter of public knowledge. Account have to be submitted to companies house each year.
There are no court actions, the company is basically insolvent on the audiors certificate and therefore they have gone into voluntary adminsitration with regard to liquidating assets. There are a few potential purchasers speaking to the administrators at the moment. I am sure Leda will continue in business once the debt has been restructured
Old 03-28-2007, 07:42 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

well my order is in, I ended up with a 2 way KW competition with kw camber plates. now I just got to wait 6-7 weeks.

I talked with their motorsport department in germany, and must say I'm very pleased with the help/answers they gave me.

it's a setup specifically for the nordschleife, also I orderd with torsion bar delete.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:40 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by anders44
well my order is in,
it's a setup specifically for the nordschleife, .

Does this means it comes with hans Stuck
Old 03-29-2007, 01:47 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommo951
There are no court actions, the company is basically insolvent on the audiors certificate and therefore they have gone into voluntary adminsitration with regard to liquidating assets. There are a few potential purchasers speaking to the administrators at the moment.
Tom, have you heard anything on your end over there?

Quick Reply: Leda Shocks is Closing shop