Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

tips/suggestions for removing clutch for pin ....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 04:22 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tips/suggestions for removing clutch for pin ....

Hate to be so needy; I really, really do (I know I've been asking a lot of clutch questions lately - but this job sems to be fighting me every step of the way). I've done a search, and everybody's clutch fork pin seems to come out with vice grips and prying, or vice grips and a big hammer. I've been doing both and the only thing that's happenning is I'm bending bolts or screwdrivers. Bent my big a$$ screwdriver and I've been banging with a sledgehammer all to no avail. I've been looking at an extra fork & pin I have, and while it's a tight fit I can move then pin in/out with my hand (or with minimal banging/persuasion). I've only had a chance to work on it for ~ 3 hrs this past week/weekend, but that's all been spent trying to work out this damn pin.

The locking set screw is out and I'm trying to pull the pin down to get it out.

Any tips/suggestions?

If worst comes to worst, and I remove the cheesehead bolts through the starter openning, remove the clutch bellhousing bolts, and remove the whole assembly, will this aid me in any way as far as gettng the pin out?

Last edited by mtnman82; 03-06-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:31 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First tip - soke the bearings and let it soke in for a while

I used a heavy homemade braket with eye and a slide hammer on eye. Even most stubborn came out after some slide hammer pesuasion.

Also use plenty lube and try to roatate the pin... once you get it moving a bit , just keep spraying it with lube and moving back and forth. The seived up roller(s) in bearing should eventually move...
Old 03-05-2007, 04:33 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worst case, (if the engine is out of the car) you can pound it out through a hole above the clutch pin.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:35 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Hate to be so needy; I really, really do (I know I've been asking a lot of clutch questions lately - but this job sems to be fighting me every step of the way). I've done a search, and everybody's clutch fork pin seems to come out with vice grips and prying, or vice grips and a big hammer. I've been doing both and the only thing that's happenning is I'm bending bolts or screwdrivers. Bent my big a$$ screwdriver and I've been banging with a sledgehammer all to no avail. I've been looking at an extra fork & pin I have, and while it's a tight fit I can move then pin in/out with my hand (or with minimal banging/persuasion). I've only had a chance to work on it for ~ 3 hrs this past week/weekend, but that's all been spent trying to work out this damn pin.

Yes, the locking set screw is out, and yes I'm trying to pull the pin down to get it out.

Any tips/suggestions?

If worst comes to worst, and I remove the cheesehead bolts through the starter openning, remove the clutch bellhousing bolts, and remove the whole assembly, will this aid me in any way as far as gettng the pin out?

Yes, because that 45 pound bellhousing/pressure plate/fork/disk/bearing/pin assembly will be 100% free to fall down and dent your skull.
But it will come out that way.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:11 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

I lost my picture of it, but use your imagination...
Originally Posted by DanG
FYI, I had a nasty time trying to get the bell housing off on my car. My pivot pin was corroded and STUCK.

I ended using a socket (I think it was 5/8ths) and a long M8 through the center. Cranked on the bolt until the socket bottomed out on the bellhousing. Luckily my pin was so stuck that it wouldn't even spin under torque, so I was able to torque on the M8 pretty good (used a jack handle on the allen wrench for leverage!).

Once I'd torqued the bolt as much as I felt I could before the allen wrench snapped, it still hadn't budged. At this point I resorted to a pretty thin flat head screwdriver + 2lb sledge on the other end of the pin. It cracked loose on the first hit, then I was able drive it the rest of the way out.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/184366-how-do-i-seperate-engine-from-bell-housing.html
Old 03-05-2007, 10:31 PM
kos_007
Instructor

Lightbulb

I used a large socket, a few washers and M8 bolt to do the job - you will need to add washers or use a shorter bolt once the pin starts coming out.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Why must these cars be so damn complicated?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:00 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Kos' picture is exactly the way that worked for me. Give it a shot.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:32 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Hmmmmm, I posted a reply yesterday on this thread and now it's gone!!!!! This has happenned before to me ... what's up with that??!!??

I hear you on the 'head weight' there, ST. I was thinking about asking a buddy to help if I go that route.

I'm going to try soaking with PB Blaster for a day or so, then try the socket/bolt thing. I've all ready tried turning the pin with the 8mm bolt, but luckily felt the bolt starting to give out before it broke off all the way (in the pin). The pin didn't budge.

Sounds like if I have to resort to pulling the whole assembly off I can get the pin out with the hole at the other end. Good to know. Thanks for the tips/links everyone. Never saw that linked thread in the search I did .....
Old 03-06-2007, 01:22 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I removed the housing in one piece...after fighting the pin for a day. Much easier to remove when you have it on a bench
Old 03-06-2007, 11:09 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Never saw that linked thread in the search I did .....
It was a few pages into the results. I knew approx when I posted in it, so I knew how to find it.

Good luck, that pin was a royal pain until I tried the socket extraction method.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:37 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Just thought I'd follow up on this thread for posterity. I got the pin out last Tuesday, but haven't had a chance to work on the car again since (man this job is taking me forever .....). I got it out using the screw/socket method from DanG's link and kos's pic (thanks again, Dan & kos!!!). Below is a pic of the setup I used - a 5/8" deep socket (12-pt.), 80mm long bolt, and a bunch of washers. I messed up a 16mm socket because it was 6-pt. and the walls were a little too thick (nice socket, bummed about that). I added washers until the first 'half' of the fork pin was out. After that, there was enough room to swing the hand sledge-hammer enough with the bolt/vice-grips to get it the rest of the way out. Now that the fork/pin are both out, I can easily push/pull the pin in/out of the fork (!). I finally found that ground wire I've read about and I never saw ... so once I take that off (tomorrow evening) the bellhousing will be free and clear and I'll be a the heart of the job (FINALLY!!!).
Attached Images  

Last edited by mtnman82; 03-13-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Pile O Porsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a tip for putting it back in.. put some Moly Grease on the pin so that next time you (or someone else) has to take it out, it'll come a little easier.

Quick Reply: tips/suggestions for removing clutch for pin ....