Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

why do so many people in the 951 community hate other cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:08 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fishey
I just like to say I have a ton of hands on experiance with a ton of different cars. So drawing on that I can tell you a few things I have come to conclude.

1. No matter how good any other car might be it will never be as good because I just don't have the same passion for it as I do my 944. I have driven and been around fast car (Much faster then a new Z06) and have gotten very little excitement out of them because they lacked something that words just cannot explain. You can sit and talk about statistics and numbers but there is alot left out of that equation. A few examples of this is a 930 vs 996tt. The 996TT is so far superior its not even worth mentioning. However, ever drive one? Its dull and refined. It lacks everything a 911 turbo should be it has nothing of what I think of when I think of a 911 turbo. I have absolutely no passion for it and because of that the 930 is just amazing. Its all the horribleness I ever wanted the 911 turbo to be. The same goes for Ferrari an example is a F430 vs F355. The F430 is far superior car but park one next to a F355 and quickly you come to find out that WOW! ITS HUGE! When its parked next to a F355 it looks titanic and because of that it loses everything it means to be Ferrari.

The 944 is a bastard child and its got it errors but I have passion for it because its the car I grew up around (Hotrod guys and Classic guys are the same way) and because of that it will always be better then a Corvette, Ferrari or any Porsche since those cars only have my respect not my passion.
No one is arguing with passion for our cars fishy. You miseed the point. My surprise comes when people who obviously feel the same way you do put down the other car over and over again making it less than theirs. When someone practical brings up stuff like myself about the fact it would destory their car on the track and everything has its place. Some people like big v8's...everything has a place.

They then turn as a child and start bouting all kinds of irrevelant rant bs. The interior, heritage, the fact that they don't feel its as advanced as it should be, the fact that with enough money you could make a 951 almost as fast or faster, blah blah freggin blah.

This forum has strangly started to sound like some bs honda forum. Thats the kind crap they start saying when they are screaming about performance of their cars and someone brings up the fact that this car would outperform them in every respect.

all it does it make them look stupid and ignorant. I love all cars and all cars have a place. Regardless of weither I would buy one or build one is besides the point.

You have to appreaciate things for what they are and not for what you would like them to be.

If you don't really care for a new zo6 thats cool...but, don't be ignorant and make bland comments about it. "its only fast in a straight line" "its made on a budget" "its plastic" "its BHP per liter isint high enough so therefore it sucks"

lol I was laughing sooo hard when I hered the last one. The very same crap could be said more of less even about our cars.

Btw fishy only the very top part of this response was directed at you. The rest if just me talking in general.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we should see what kinda non pcars everyone likes?
Old 02-26-2007, 01:26 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro_Muncher
Is a vette a sports car or a fast car? A sports car is a light, nimble and quick car. Not a huge monster that can move fast in a line.
Dont get me wrong v06's are sweet cars just not what i like. ..

Well, I always thought the same about Vettes until the C5/C6. It was WAS muscle car....it is now a sports car. It has power, braking, handling, top end, etc. etc.

I agree the 951 is WAYYYYY under appreciated in the sports car world and even was when it came out. It garnered a lot of attention, but little respect. in the mid/late 80's if it was a Porsche and NOT a 911, no one cared.

I agree with many in here being die hard 951 fans, as am I. But I am ALWAYS willing to learn from other cars and what they are doing.

If it wasn't for the turbo import markets right now, do you think many would be running over 15psi on a 951???? Probably not.

Supra's, Evo's, Sti's, etc. have broken the mold of what is pushing a car's limits and what is REALLY pushing a car's limits. They do the work, research and blow their motors, so we can take the results.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Colin Emerson
Instructor

Most people are very "fanboyish" about their dream sports car of choice. I try not to be one of those. I really like the 951, but was it actually detuned by Porsche? or was 11psi of boost all it could safely, reliably handle(in the 80's) without consumers coming after Porsche with blown up motors???? I am sure Corvette could have more hp but at what cost to reliability?

I see a lot of guys go from one dream car to the next, pouring out all sorts of info, technical specs on their cars, bang for your buck arguments,forgetting the old cars as they move on to "bigger and better". Some guys go from 928's to 911's and treat the old car like an unwanted dog.

Enjoy your car for what it is, don't hate the rest, they all have a purpose. I am sure some of the 951 owners have to once in awhile drive a lesser vehicle because it is better suited to that purpose. We all can't be out running overly boosted engines
Old 02-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Many of the 951 owners believe the 951 is the greatest car on earth because that’s the best car they can afford or just grew up around them and haven’t been subjected to many other makes/models/price ranges. For less then 10K I believe the 951 is a better buy (until you have to maintain it) then anything else in the range but comparing them to a newer car is flat out stupid. “Porsche” guys are no different then “Corvette” guys as they are not “car” guys but rather a bunch of morons loyal to a brand because they rely on the badge on the front of their cars as part of their identity. Personally I believe every car company has great car as well as some embarrassments early 924’s, late C3s’, and rusted out 914’s come to mind here. Me, I’m a car guy at heart and could give two ****s what the badge on the front says. When I purchase a car I look at several aspects including price, reliability, depreciation and performance.

Typically brand name comes up last but here are just some moronic meat-head statements that make me laugh…………. Albeit made mostly by children.

“I like other cars... but you wont catch me driving a vette. I dont think building a sports car with one of the main concerns being a low price is a very good mentality.”

Have you ever spent any real time driving one? How about a E46 M3, an 95 RX-7, newer Audi’s, there are a ton of beautiful and fun cars out there each with it’s own purpose. Ummmmmm, that was the entire marking strategy of the 924/944/951, a low-priced Porsche sports car. What do you think the Boxter and Cayman are today?

“Is a vette a sports car or a fast car? A sports car is a light, nimble and quick car. Not a huge monster that can move fast in a line.
Dont get me wrong v06's are sweet cars just not what i like. Cmon guys a porsche is a porsche there really is no comparing it.”

The newer C5’s and C6’s are both a sports and fast car. My C5 ZO6 weighs about the same as a 89 turbo, has a much wider track, a ton of torque, and plenty of horsepower. Oh yeah, it’ll stop faster and pull more lateral G’s. Technically a Porsche isn’t always a Porsche…. Sometimes it’s a VW, sometimes it’s an Audi, sometimes it’s a Porsche. I do know that my 951 wasn’t built in Stuttgart and sure has a lot of Audi parts on it.

“A Vette is like a tampon! Every ***** needs one!”

Rock, if any car you have ever owned can hang with either my 951 or ZO6 on the street or track then I’ll accept that but I’ll also say that any moron who works a few summers at Taco Bell, saves the birthday card checks from grandma and grandpa for a while, or delivers news papers can own a 944. Hell, I own three of them and the purchase price for all of them is still less then what I spent on cabinets and counter tops in my kitchen.

No one on these boards likes to talk about the dirty laundry of the 944/51 or any Porsche for that matter but let’s be honest. Parts are grossly over priced, the stock rubber and 6 spring center clutches suck, how about that timing belt that needs replacement more often then most transmission fluids, 8 miles of vacuum lines and hoses, 16 cooling hoses, turbo’s that blow oil, over engineered and under effective HVAC, how about trying to find a Porsche that hasn’t had a leak in the last 18 months and still has fluid in it, non-Siamese bores, rod bearing failures, poorly placed fuel lines, blown head gaskets, 20 hour clutch changes, exploding ring and pinions, weak CV’s, separating hatches, a full day to change a water pump, and the list goes on and on.

Again I am a car guy and unfortunately there are way too many secret handshaking ******* clubs out there who can’t see beyond their own *** and ego’s to recognize that their are a bunch of cool and effective cars on the market. This is exactly why I’m not a PCA member and don’t wave to Corvette guys on the road. A few weeks ago I was in traffic during my daily commute with my 944 and a guy in a C5 was next to me and he looked over and gave me somewhat of a dirty, I drive a Corvette so my **** don’t stink look. Two days later I was next to him again in my ZO6 and I thought he went out of us way to wave to me. Both times I just looked at him like he was an annoying *******. However, being a true car guy I can appreciate the guy driving the SC Rambler, Nomad, GT350’s as well as have conversations with guys who love E30 M3’s, 914’s, and Edsel’s. To me it’s about the cars, not the badges.

While many people may not be impressed with 4 and 500 HP N/A V8’s, much of the Subaru, Toyota, and Mitsu crowd aren’t impressed with “only” 350 RWHP 2.5Ls.

In 1989 a 944T cost 50K+ and in 2002 a ZO6 cost 50K. Which is the better all around performing car for the new purchase price and how? How does a new Cayman S compare to an equivalently priced new ZO6? Factor in acceleration, handling, braking, fuel economy, and the answers will be clear. Don’t get me wrong, I love Porsche’s but can they produce the best cars for the dollar these days? I don’t think so. What I do know is a lot of hard core 951 guys locally that absolutely love driving my ZO6 as much as I love driving my 951 and 944. I am still a 951 fanatic and it is without a doubt on of the most under rated cars ever. Just don't use that to underestimate others.

Last edited by Jeremy Himsel; 02-26-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:59 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
No one on these boards likes to talk about the dirty laundry of the 944/51 or any Porsche for that matter but let’s be honest. Parts are grossly over priced, the stock rubber and 6 spring center clutches suck, how about that timing belt that needs replacement more often then most transmission fluids, 8 miles of vacuum lines and hoses, 16 cooling hoses, turbo’s that blow oil, over engineered and under effective HVAC, how about trying to find a Porsche that hasn’t had a leak in the last 18 months and still has fluid in it, non-Siamese bores, rod bearing failures, poorly placed fuel lines, blown head gaskets, 20 hour clutch changes, exploding ring and pinions, weak CV’s, separating hatches, a full day to change a water pump, and the list goes on and on.
Thanks Jeremy, I feel much better about my car now!!! LOL

But those are very valid points, and sad but true.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Colin Emerson
Instructor

Jeremy,

Extremely well put.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:42 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Many of the 951 owners believe the 951 is the greatest car on earth because that’s the best car they can afford or just grew up around them and haven’t been subjected to many other makes/models/price ranges. For less then 10K I believe the 951 is a better buy (until you have to maintain it) then anything else in the range but comparing them to a newer car is flat out stupid. “Porsche” guys are no different then “Corvette” guys as they are not “car” guys but rather a bunch of morons loyal to a brand because they rely on the badge on the front of their cars as part of their identity. Personally I believe every car company has great car as well as some embarrassments early 924’s, late C3s’, and rusted out 914’s come to mind here. Me, I’m a car guy at heart and could give two ****s what the badge on the front says. When I purchase a car I look at several aspects including price, reliability, depreciation and performance.

Typically brand name comes up last but here are just some moronic meat-head statements that make me laugh…………. Albeit made mostly by children.

“I like other cars... but you wont catch me driving a vette. I dont think building a sports car with one of the main concerns being a low price is a very good mentality.”

Have you ever spent any real time driving one? How about a E46 M3, an 95 RX-7, newer Audi’s, there are a ton of beautiful and fun cars out there each with it’s own purpose. Ummmmmm, that was the entire marking strategy of the 924/944/951, a low-priced Porsche sports car. What do you think the Boxter and Cayman are today?

“Is a vette a sports car or a fast car? A sports car is a light, nimble and quick car. Not a huge monster that can move fast in a line.
Dont get me wrong v06's are sweet cars just not what i like. Cmon guys a porsche is a porsche there really is no comparing it.”

The newer C5’s and C6’s are both a sports and fast car. My C5 ZO6 weighs about the same as a 89 turbo, has a much wider track, a ton of torque, and plenty of horsepower. Oh yeah, it’ll stop faster and pull more lateral G’s. Technically a Porsche isn’t always a Porsche…. Sometimes it’s a VW, sometimes it’s an Audi, sometimes it’s a Porsche. I do know that my 951 wasn’t built in Stuttgart and sure has a lot of Audi parts on it.

“A Vette is like a tampon! Every ***** needs one!”

Rock, if any car you have ever owned can hang with either my 951 or ZO6 on the street or track then I’ll accept that but I’ll also say that any moron who works a few summers at Taco Bell, saves the birthday card checks from grandma and grandpa for a while, or delivers news papers can own a 944. Hell, I own three of them and the purchase price for all of them is still less then what I spent on cabinets and counter tops in my kitchen.

Again I am a car guy and unfortunately there are way too many secret handshaking ******* clubs out there who can’t see beyond their own *** and ego’s to recognize that their are a bunch of cool and effective cars on the market. This is exactly why I’m not a PCA member and don’t wave to Corvette guys on the road. A few weeks ago I was in traffic during my daily commute with my 944 and a guy in a C5 was next to me and he looked over and gave me somewhat of a dirty, I drive a Corvette so my **** don’t stink look. Two days later I was next to him again in my ZO6 and I thought he went out of us way to wave to me. Both times I just looked at him like he was an annoying *******. However, being a true car guy I can appreciate the guy driving the SC Rambler, Nomad, GT350’s as well as have conversations with guys who love E30 M3’s, 914’s, and Edsel’s. To me it’s about the cars, not the badges.

While many people may not be impressed with 4 and 500 HP N/A V8’s, much of the Subaru, Toyota, and Mitsu crowd aren’t impressed with “only” 350 RWHP 2.5Ls.

In 1989 a 944T cost 50K+ and in 2002 a ZO6 cost 50K. Which is the better all around performing car for the new purchase price and how? How does a new Cayman S compare to an equivalently priced new ZO6? Factor in acceleration, handling, braking, fuel economy, and the answers will be clear. Don’t get me wrong, I love Porsche’s but can they produce the best cars for the dollar these days? I don’t think so. What I do know is a lot of hard core 951 guys locally that absolutely love driving my ZO6 as much as I love driving my 951 and 944. I am still a 951 fanatic and it is without a doubt on of the most under rated cars ever. Just don't use that to underestimate others.
Someone that loves 951 and has a brain and uses common sense on this board!!! never!!! haha

jermey me and you go way back a few years. You know plenty of my car and my dealings with it. I couldn't agree more with you're post if I had said it myself.

Unforunately there are soo many people on this board blinded by stupid irgnorance its amazing why im still around here.....oh wait a minute..its because there are people like me and you still here.

People that love the 951 but, don't have delusions about its performance or its place..

My offer still stands to anyone who wishes to take it up. If you think you're 951 is gods gift to performance bring it down here. Dial up you're boost and bring you're race gas. I'll show you what a 500hp supra really pulls like. Oh and that big tq stupid v8 over there. he'll wax you too...all the while on pump fuel. Oh and if you wanna bitch about "the track would be soo different" we can easily make a trip out to MSR. I can give kevin a call. Its time for a real reality check. Ofcourse I don't seriously expect someone to actually challenge that statement...but, none the less if you want some of that japanese rice or stupid american muscle....come on down. There's plenty of humility doses to go around.

Did I mention that zo6 can run 600hp on pump gas and not have a engine problem a few months? My god some people are truely stupid.

Jeremy thanks for you're post as well as so many others like todd ect. maybe If we can educate some of these idiots on here the next time someone has some stupid thread going up about a 951 vs so and so...it won't be a honda ricer battle.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:46 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

+1

This board is to be commended for having passion about these cars but reprimanded for confusing hate for everything else with passion for these cars.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:59 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very well put. With the past few valid points made, maybe the problem isn't as bad as we think it is.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:28 PM
pozican
Racer

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
My offer still stands to anyone who wishes to take it up. If you think you're 951 is gods gift to performance bring it down here. Dial up you're boost and bring you're race gas. I'll show you what a 500hp supra really pulls like. Oh and that big tq stupid v8 over there. he'll wax you too...all the while on pump fuel. Oh and if you wanna bitch about "the track would be soo different" we can easily make a trip out to MSR. I can give kevin a call. Its time for a real reality check. Ofcourse I don't seriously expect someone to actually challenge that statement...but, none the less if you want some of that japanese rice or stupid american muscle....come on down. There's plenty of humility doses to go around.

Did I mention that zo6 can run 600hp on pump gas and not have a engine problem a few months? My god some people are truely stupid.
I've ran against some pretty damn fast cars -- 12 second evos, 400hp srt-4s, damn 6L GTOs, camaros on nitrous...
I know I'm not as fast. I hate SRT-4's because fwd sucks, and yes, that is a deal-breaker for me.
EVO is an amazing car! Launches like no other, pulls insanely hard, and still corners -- The lightly modded 951 held with it. Sure he beat me off the line, and at the end of the race, but I still held. That makes me very impressed with my car. Despite my love for the EVO (I somewhat lust after it) I would never sell my car for one.

Old vettes are beautiful machines, the new ones have an aggressive look, and for once actually turn amazing, but they really don't IMPRESS me.
Just because a good car doesn't IMPRESS me, doesn't mean I hate it...

But lets back up. It seems you are in the 944 turbo section of some porsche forums...
Isn't it expected that the posters here are a tad bit biased?

-poz
PS -- porschhh951 -- I've always loved your car
Old 02-26-2007, 03:34 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pozican
But lets back up. It seems you are in the 944 turbo section of some porsche forums...
Isn't it expected that the posters here are a tad bit biased?

-poz
PS -- porschhh951 -- I've always loved your car
Yeah but, it shouldn't be that way. People here are older and should be more wise when it comes to these things. Having read some of the statements in weeks of late just makes me realize how biased some of these guys really are and how little they truely know outside of their own little world.

I love my car but, I wouldn't call another car crap just cause it aint a 951. Ignornace is ignorance.

and thanks for the comment on the car. Its a money pit...but, they all are aren't they. lol.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Sure there are a few people living in 951 la-la land, but for the huge silent majority of people who DONT open their mouths and say dumb things about other cars, this whole "Why are you all so ignorant?" speech is getting old and annoying, just like the people its intended to "Reprimand"

Let them think whatever they want, its their car, why does it bother you so much? Like pozican said above - HELLLOOOO this is a 944 turbo forum!
Old 02-26-2007, 03:47 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Lorax
Sure there are a few people living in 951 la-la land, but for the huge silent majority of people who DONT open their mouths and say dumb things about other cars, this whole "Why are you all so ignorant?" speech is getting old and annoying, just like the people its intended to "Reprimand"

Let them think whatever they want, its their car, why does it bother you so much? Like pozican said above - HELLLOOOO this is a 944 turbo forum!
Because i've literally had people spout off crap and repermand me for having some common sense. The it becomes a heated debate and it shouldn't be.

hell lart right now is arguing with me about my own god damn car and my own races for pete sake.

its getting stupid. thats why lorax
Old 02-26-2007, 03:55 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't see anybody taking on my previous post, any takers. So I guess I am a idiot because I don't like V8's, even despite the fact that I own a few lol. imagine if we all like the same type of woman? lol.

Well I don't like the freaking vette, I have driven a few even test drove a C5 zo6 and I don't like it. So that makes me ignorant and stupid? well at least I know how to use my spell checker, lol even though my grammart sucks.

What if the young kids on this board want to believe their car is a Veyron? isn't their God given right to think whatever they want isn't? What if they want to talk sh&t about vettes, hondas etc? who cares is the retardnet isn't?

Take a chill pill relax you don't like the content of the post, don't read it simple as that, go to another forum, just because someone goes to the street racing spot with Din Diesel and John Sunoco doesn't make smart neither is that the real world , roflmao.

What a freaking Joke

Quick Reply: why do so many people in the 951 community hate other cars?