Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Crankshaft Lightening

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
The 944 crank is an amazingly nice piece your crazy.. Sure it wasn't made to spin at high RPM but who wants to spin large 4 cylinders to high rpm? There is no point in going above 6800 RPM as it will make as much power as you will ever need by that RPM.
Fishey you bring valid and good points every now and then (even if they could be put in a tad more humble way...) but why the ignorant comment of 6800 rpm??

That's like the famous computer quote from 1981 "640 kb ought to be enough for anybody".

I really can't understand why you in an almost aggressive way criticise any other who doesn't do things like you do.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:00 AM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
Fishey you bring valid and good points every now and then (even if they could be put in a tad more humble way...) but why the ignorant comment of 6800 rpm??

That's like the famous computer quote from 1981 "640 kb ought to be enough for anybody".

I really can't understand why you in an almost aggressive way criticise any other who doesn't do things like you do.
He just likes being controversial!
He is Rennlists own Howard Stern!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe anyone would even consider spending $1000+ to lighten a crank for a STREET car. Even for a RACE car I wouldn't dream of doing it unless I was racing in GT classes..

All that time and $$$$ for a barely noticeable difference in lap times???

Spend it on fresh tires and grow some bigger ***** to brake deeper into that corner!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
I can't believe anyone would even consider spending $1000+ to lighten a crank for a STREET car. Even for a RACE car I wouldn't dream of doing it unless I was racing in GT classes..
It does make it eaiser to carry them around the shop...
Old 01-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

For $1000 you can pay the retarded kid across the street to carry it around for you all day, and you'd still have enough $ left over for amatuer night at the local nudie bar!
Old 01-03-2008, 11:42 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
For $1000 you can pay the retarded kid across the street to carry it around for you all day, and you'd still have enough $ left over for amatuer night at the local nudie bar!
They have amateur nights at local nudie bars in CA? Wow, now ithat is a concept we need in US. I would love to see some amateurs strut their stuff .
Heck, i would even volunteeer a few names, lol.
Raj
Old 01-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tommo951
Oh dear Dr F. Fishey is at it again.
This guy does not or to my knowledge has never owned a Turbo, is the highest authority on 944's. Feels good about slagging everybody elses ideas off without any substance. Even makes himself the self styled "Rennlist E-Thug"
He feels that he can rubbish Chris White & Chris Prack's ideas but only comes out with knee jerk reactions like "its a waste of money"
Fishey, what is your purpose on the Turbo forum? You obviously cannot learn anything YOU KNOW IT ALL!
Why don't you go back to the NA forums and spread your gospels there
You tell me why a 3.0L crank would have less failure rate then a 2.5L crank and I will give you a cookie. (Internet COOKIE)

Your Pal
-Dr F.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

You tell me why you should spin a motor faster. There is no similarity to be brought between 640kb and RPM in a car. RPM does not determine in any way the amount of power a car will make except in theory but in real life it doesn't work like that. Every day I read a damn post on this board about how they are going to spin a motor to 9k or something else and unless its N/A there is no need to do that.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:07 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You tell me why you should spin a motor faster. There is no similarity to be brought between 640kb and RPM in a car. RPM does not determine in any way the amount of power a car will make except in theory but in real life it doesn't work like that. Every day I read a damn post on this board about how they are going to spin a motor to 9k or something else and unless its N/A there is no need to do that.
Higher top speed with lower gearing so better accelaeration than a longer diff/gear ratio. That is assuming there is at least some power low down
Old 01-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fishey, would you agree that this motor will make more power with rpm?? Or are you just so stuck in your ways that you cannot see it?

I have news for you buddy, noone knows it all and that includes you. A wise man once said, "Noone ever learned anything with their mouth open". Consider it.

This engine is twin turbo charged. In case you didn't know.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
Fishey, would you agree that this motor will make more power with rpm?? Or are you just so stuck in your ways that you cannot see it?

I have news for you buddy, noone knows it all and that includes you. A wise man once said, "Noone ever learned anything with their mouth open". Consider it.

This engine is twin turbo charged. In case you didn't know.

That a 944? Wait no its not...
Old 01-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

RPM does not determine in any way the amount of power a car will make except in theory but in real life it doesn't work like that.
Humm... so please just tell me why not limit rpm to 4500 to keep the piston speeds low and have a safe and sound engine

Every day I read a damn post on this board about how they are going to spin a motor to 9k or something else and unless its N/A there is no need to do that.
Wait a minute... so an N/A engine will make more power if built for higher rpm's but not a turbo engine?

I'm out of this discussion
Old 01-03-2008, 05:26 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

C'mon Mr Fishman, you've stated your definitives without backing them up. Don't flap about like a Mullet out of water, enlighten us.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Humm... so please just tell me why not limit rpm to 4500 to keep the piston speeds low and have a safe and sound engine

Wait a minute... so an N/A engine will make more power if built for higher rpm's but not a turbo engine?

I'm out of this discussion
No, in theory every motor will make more with RPM but if you want to keep pushing RPM higher and higher to make power your missing the point of having a boosted engine. We can continue to talk about stupid subjects like this or we could actually discuss why we need a "better" crank. Why do we need it? What supporting evidence do you have that the crank is going to fix even a single problem?

Last edited by Fishey; 01-03-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You tell me why you should spin a motor faster. RPM does not determine in any way the amount of power a car will make except in theory but in real life it doesn't work like that. Every day I read a damn post on this board about how they are going to spin a motor to 9k or something else and unless its N/A there is no need to do that.
Where did you quantify it had to be a 944? What is so special about a 944 that makes it different than any other motor ever made?

You stated that RPM does not determine in any way the amount of power an engine will make.

Apperently you were wrong. Admit it.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Lightening