Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

First Impressions: Hans Device

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts
Default First Impressions: Hans Device

Well, amid all the discussions of performance upgrades, etc., I decided to get a safety upgrade: a Hans Device.

It showed up last night, and so far my impressions have been very favorable. It looks very well made and very thoughtfully planned out -- there's padding where it touches you and a grippy pad where the harness goes against the Hans. It comes with good illustrated instructions, a special wrench and even thread locker for the helmet mounts.

I got the regular model, but it seems pretty light weight. I guess the big question is how easy is it to put on in the car and will it restrict the movement of my head too much?

Once I test it out, I'll let you know!
Old 01-17-2007, 10:17 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its a pain to get on and off until you get used to it for sure. You have to get in, kind of half put the helmet on and half hook the hans up and then put it all on at once.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:50 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Van,

I recently purchased one as well, toward the end of last season. I got 5 track days in since getting it, so it's still somewhat new to me as well.

My first impression the first time I used it was that it was going to bug the **** out of me. Honestly, by the time I was on track for 20 minutes, I completely forgot about it.

I found it really easy to put on in the car. I put the HANS on first, then slip my helmet on. Because backing up is difficult with it on due to the head movement restriction I don't attach the tethers until I pull into the staging area. Once you practice a few times, attaching the tethers by feel is no big deal. Put your gloves on last (but make sure they're on your lap first or you'll never reach them once you're all strapped in). All in all, the HANS only takes me about an additional 20 seconds worth of prep time to get ready to go out.

I have made it a habit in staging, once strapped in and ready to go, to move my head forward to be sure the tethers are attached. I once forgot to attach them and didn't realize it until I was out on the track.

I would now be hesitant to get into a car without one.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:10 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Anyone care to comment on the difference between a Hutchins device and a HANS? I'm on the fence between the two, but want to get something set up before spring.

Regards,
Old 01-17-2007, 11:14 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its this the same VAN that sold me the turbo S control arms last weekend?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:30 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I'll echo what Jim (Shiners) said above. I found it easiest to put on the hans, strap the harnesses over it, then put on my helmet and attach the tethers (in staging). I also disconnect the tethers coming off the track as side-to-side head movement is restricted when driving through the paddock. Oh, and move your head forward to verify the tethers are attached (I forgot once as Jim did when going out on the track).

I've had mine about 2 years and the only time it's caused a problem on the track is when I spun and was at an odd angle to the track. I couldn't turn my head enough to see approaching traffic to safely re-enter so had to change the angle of the car. Moral of the story - don't spin....

Oh, and you will need to crank your shoulder harnesses down HARD to keep them from slipping off. I also have to re-tighten the harnesses a few times as my body moves on the first few laps and causes some slack.

Also to be safe, practice exiting the car w/ the hans attached as if in an emergency just so you know you can.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Great advice, Jerome, I'll practice the egress (reminds me of a video I saw on the net of a lotus on fire... I never saw a guy jump out so fast).

Shiners, I have a similar routine: with gloves on the shift boot and door open, I get the latches into the buckle and sinch down the lap belts, then close the door and put the helmet on, sinch down the shoulder belts, and finally put my gloves on. So putting the Hans on first and attaching the tethers sounds like a good plan.

Reno, I am the same Van. I hope those control arms work out for you!
Old 01-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Rob 3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had an early HANS about 8 or 9 years ago when they were permanently attached to the helmet, and I used it in a Formula Ford. The data of effectiveness is quite compelling as I think there was an SAE paper done on the device. In the Ford, I couldn't see my lap to attach my belts but got used to doing things by feel. They are clearly smaller and easier to use now, I just tried my friend's new one on over the holiday break. The amount of free movement is restricted, but that is part of what makes it work. I don't know of any data comparing Hutchins to a HANS, but the HANS clearly work.

Quick Reply: First Impressions: Hans Device