Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

10 speaker stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 01:15 PM
grayman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 speaker stereo question

I tried a search, but could not find an answer to my question.

I have the 10 speaker stereo option (88 turbo S) and am looking to upgrade the speakers. Here is the issue. I replaced the original head unit with a Blaupunkt unit from the early 90s (looks stock). I also still have the original equalizer. I want to keep this head unit and equalizer, and keep the stock speaker locations. I want to get new speakers and a subwoofer. I know I will need an amp. So, my question is, can I install new speakers, a sub and an amp, but keep the head unit and equalizer?

Thanks (in advance) for your help
Old 01-08-2007, 01:21 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Daryl,
If you are going that far mate, swap it all out. Its old technology now.
There is no point getting sentimental about an old equaliser mate!

Cheers
Tom
Old 01-08-2007, 01:28 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by grayman
I tried a search, but could not find an answer to my question.

I have the 10 speaker stereo option (88 turbo S) and am looking to upgrade the speakers. Here is the issue. I replaced the original head unit with a Blaupunkt unit from the early 90s (looks stock). I also still have the original equalizer. I want to keep this head unit and equalizer, and keep the stock speaker locations. I want to get new speakers and a subwoofer. I know I will need an amp. So, my question is, can I install new speakers, a sub and an amp, but keep the head unit and equalizer?

Thanks (in advance) for your help
I might have an amp and subwoofer for sale if you are interested. The sub goes in the rear cuby on the passenger side of the car. I had the amp mounted in the rear cubby on the driver' side. I just got an 88 turbo S and dont' want to start running wires to install it.

Let me know if you find replacement speakers. I am looking to replace them too. I just installed an Alpine Head Unit.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:30 PM
jakery
resident n00b
Rennlist Member

i have cheap jenson amps that have High Output inputs. So you can just run regular speaker lines
to the amp in order to power the sub. Of course this is the ghetto way of putting in a stereo and there is a much higher level of distortion then a pre-amp rca line. But it works. I have a 300w Amp if you would like to buy it for $20 or so its yours. But i would not suggest it. Put in a nice head, and match it with good speakers. My closing advice is this. Remember that however much you spend on a car stereo, you will always have road / engine noise plus the limitations of a 12v system. So don't waste too much money on a "quality" car stereo.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:15 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Change the head unit and take out the eq. Put in a up to date headunit and the sky is the limit. I have an 88 951 with a good amount of engine mods and a great stereo in my car. Most guys who stop in my shop who have a 951, I take for a ride love my stereo, as well as how good my car goes. You have to make no mods to put a high end head unit in these cars and when you go to sell the car you can always drop the stock stuff back in without anyone ever knowing.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:16 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Soundfx-ny.com is my site.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:51 AM
turbinek
Instructor

Before doing anything you should take decision what way you want your car:
Original or your way?
If it shall be your way you should consider throwing out everything from the radio, speakers, amp, etc.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:53 AM
turbinek
Instructor

Originally Posted by JBrown
Soundfx-ny.com is my site.
Visited your site but don't know how to see your 944 solution.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:08 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Does anyone know what speakers are available to replace the stock ones? I just want to freshen up the sound of my new Alpine headunit.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:05 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I put 5.25" components in place of the factory speakers with the 10-speaker option.
The first set were Blaupunkts, the second set are Diamond Audio. Applied Dynamat
to the doors......that made a huge difference.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:06 AM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

968 with option 490 10-speaker with upgraded rear speakers from the factory (forgot option number). I have been over time purchasing speakers and such, since a stereo done right can cost a pretty penny. The fronts are 4" with tweeters with an upper very odd sized tweeter. The back is a 5.25" component with tweeter. That makes up the 10 speaker system, 4 normal components, 6 tweeters...great highs and mids, aweful lows and bass. There is also a very limited number of good 4" speakers, and honestly the cheap 4" are no better than stock speakers. I am going with MB Quart Premium series 4" in the front with crossover and tweeter. A/D/S used to make a 2.5" tweeter which fits our stock location...still looking for that piece, but for the time being that stock speaker is going to stay and I am adding a Nokia tweeter next to it; reason...the nokia has a very distinctive sound...more of a mid tweeter. Rears I went with A/D/S 'is' series, 5.25" with personal tweeter and crossover. All this is being run though an A/D/S 4-way amplifier, although when I get a chance I will probably get another amp to help out a tad more. The subwoofer is where I am stuck...I am not going to put a 70lb unit in my car...looking at the Infinity Basslink mounted in the rear so it can reflect off of the rear hatch. We'll see. So far I have only collected the A/D/S speakers and the MB Quart speakers which as set me back a tad more than $600 so far.

Wes
Old 01-10-2007, 10:12 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

I didn't see the need to put 3 speakers in the doors, thus no 4". A quality set of 5.25" components was all I needed. I mounted the aftermarket tweeter in the stock location and there is plenty of room for the cross-over behind the plastic
mounting piece for the 5.25" & 4" from the factory.

I run a single 8" sub in a KLA box and it does fine. I've tried to keep everything hidden and as stock looking as possible.

http://www.klaindustries.net/subwoofer/subwoofer-1.htm
Old 01-10-2007, 10:17 AM
whakiewes
Pro

I have looked at that, and its definantly an option. The thing I like about the Basslink though is that its all bolted together, amp and all and plays really clean bass. http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='BASSLINK'&Ser=BSL&Cat=PSU

Its also fairly light for a sub/amp setup. The Bazooka Basstube is also another option although its dimensions making mounting it awkward...maybe if the backseat was up/in.

Wes
Old 01-10-2007, 10:19 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tommo951
Daryl, If you are going that far mate, swap it all out. Its old technology now. There is no point getting sentimental about an old equaliser mate!

Cheers
Tom
Bump to what Tom said. I have the same year car as yours, and I'm gonna upgrade most of the stuff, but keep it in the stock location. Upgrade dude, it's 2007!

Old 01-10-2007, 10:21 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Like I said...I wanted to keep everything looking stock.
A Bazooka tube or Infinity Basslink was too
obtrusive for my application. That Basslink gets
rave reviews though!

Eliminating the spare would give one many options
for a sub. Probably enough room to stuff a Basslink in there.

Dan.....
I just re-read your original post. Do yourself a favor and run new
wires to the speakers. Those 19 year old OEM wires are not
oxygen free copper and are prone to corrosion & degradation
over the years.

Quick Reply: 10 speaker stereo question