Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

10 speaker stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 03:43 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daryl,
Are you sure you need new speakers? The stock ones are actually pretty good unless they're blown or disintegrating. I just put in an Alpine head unit and a stock cubby below it, and it sounds much better than the stock head unit and EQ. Crutchfield sells a harness kit so you don't have to cut any of the original wiring, and you can put it back to stock any time. I did need to add some "bass blockers" (capacitors) to the front speakers to keep them from rattling when it's turned up because the stock crossovers let too much bass through The back ones seem to be able to take the bass without extra filtering. I'm using the Alpine to run all the stock speakes and can turn it up as loud as I want (okay I'm not a teenager anymore either) with no noticeable distortion as long as I don't turn the bass up much above middle. Once I add a rear cubby subwoofer and amp, I think it will sound pretty good since the sub-out has a separate level control in the deck. Even with new speakers, I doubt that the stock stereo will sound much better based on the improvement that I heard-much crisper. A couple of pics below- I like the idea of keeping it all stock looking too, but the Alpine matches pretty well, has a subwoofer output, and I get a little storage space now too.
Attached Images    
Old 01-10-2007, 04:19 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakery
i have cheap jenson amps that have High Output inputs. So you can just run regular speaker lines
to the amp in order to power the sub. Of course this is the ghetto way of putting in a stereo and there is a much higher level of distortion then a pre-amp rca line. But it works. I have a 300w Amp if you would like to buy it for $20 or so its yours. But i would not suggest it. Put in a nice head, and match it with good speakers. My closing advice is this. Remember that however much you spend on a car stereo, you will always have road / engine noise plus the limitations of a 12v system. So don't waste too much money on a "quality" car stereo.
You would still need to run your hot/ground and acc to the amp no???

The speaker (hi output) hookups only allow to not run the low output pre amps.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:11 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

I will try to post pics of my system in my car. I dont have any on my web site. You can take this for what it is worth. Go to a good shop in your area that has a good reputation and talk to an educated installer and see what he can do for you . I have been doing car audio for 25 yrs. I no alot about motors but when I need a rebuild I go to a very good mechanic. It is the same with car audio. You need and educated installer. These cars are relativly easy to work on compared to some of your newer cars with intergrated radios, computers controlling everything, etc. I made very easy door pods for my car and put 6 1/2 components in there. I have 4x6 replacements in the back for rear fill and I have a 10 jl w3 in the back for bass. I used and eclipse head unit with satalite radio, I have a 4 channel rockford amp running the speakers. I use channel 1 and 2 to run the seperates up front. I use the radio to run the rears. they are only rear fill so you dont need them to be very loud. Then I bridged channel 3 and 4 to run my sub. It is a 10in in a box that is .65cuft. I still can fit the golf clubs in the back and I have wonder all around sound without breaking the bank. There is also tons of good product out there. I an am authouritzed dealer for Rockford fosgate, diamond audio, jl audio, menphis audio, eclipse, pioneer, blaupunkt, as well as a couple of others i cant remember. A system is only as good as the disigner and installer. There is alot into putting a system in besides running wires and hooking them up right. There are crossovers to adjust, power draw issues, matching speakers to the amps, box volune, sealing speakers in locations so you get good midbass response. There is alot to it today and really should be designed by a exspert and the layman can try the install as long as the shop you bought the stuff from gives you help with setting everything up and tuning. Sorry so long and my spelling is horrible. I also try to type to fast. I dont mind giving free infor. Anyone can reach me M-S 10-6 EST. My name is John
soundfx-ny.com
Old 01-10-2007, 08:13 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

One other thing is my whole system maybe weights 40-50lbs so my car still halls ***.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:36 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

I did exactly what kevincnc did except I bought the had a local stereo shop install it for me. $20 for the install and they made their own harness. Sounds great and has more than enough power for the stock 10 speakers.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:18 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

how come everyone install is so cheap. I have been quited so much that it payed for me to do myself. One shop wanted $50 to plug in the wire to the sirius radio.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:17 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

jl audio has some three component set that would fit well, but if I were to do mine, I would probably put components front, a midbass in the rears 6.5" round and sub box with 5 channel amp all mounted up on a board that could quickly be removed. I also agree with ditching the head unit, just get an up to day blau...
Old 01-10-2007, 11:19 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SD Porsche Fan
I did exactly what kevincnc did except I bought the had a local stereo shop install it for me. $20 for the install and they made their own harness. Sounds great and has more than enough power for the stock 10 speakers.
You guys are very fortunate!! The 17 year old OEM speakers that came with my 10-speaker setup were extremely dry rotted and falling apart. I assume the cross overs were still good though.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:10 AM
grayman
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Daryl,
Are you sure you need new speakers? The stock ones are actually pretty good unless they're blown or disintegrating. I just put in an Alpine head unit and a stock cubby below it, and it sounds much better than the stock head unit and EQ. Crutchfield sells a harness kit so you don't have to cut any of the original wiring, and you can put it back to stock any time. I did need to add some "bass blockers" (capacitors) to the front speakers to keep them from rattling when it's turned up because the stock crossovers let too much bass through The back ones seem to be able to take the bass without extra filtering. I'm using the Alpine to run all the stock speakes and can turn it up as loud as I want (okay I'm not a teenager anymore either) with no noticeable distortion as long as I don't turn the bass up much above middle. Once I add a rear cubby subwoofer and amp, I think it will sound pretty good since the sub-out has a separate level control in the deck. Even with new speakers, I doubt that the stock stereo will sound much better based on the improvement that I heard-much crisper. A couple of pics below- I like the idea of keeping it all stock looking too, but the Alpine matches pretty well, has a subwoofer output, and I get a little storage space now too.

Kevin, I agree with you and everyone else that to get the best sound, I should replace the head unit with modern equipment. I enjoy driving my car, and have done 2 DE's with it. (dont laugh guys) but I also show the car , so a bone stock look is pretty important to me. I have lost a good amount of hearing over the years (too much gunfire I guess). I am just looking for some improved sound. Anything top notch would probably be waisted on me. If I could keep the current head unit and equalizer (for looks) and improve the sound somewhat with new speakers, an amp and a sub, I think I would be quite happy.

Daryl
Old 01-15-2007, 01:13 AM
grayman
Advanced

Originally Posted by JBrown
Change the head unit and take out the eq. Put in a up to date headunit and the sky is the limit. I have an 88 951 with a good amount of engine mods and a great stereo in my car. Most guys who stop in my shop who have a 951, I take for a ride love my stereo, as well as how good my car goes. You have to make no mods to put a high end head unit in these cars and when you go to sell the car you can always drop the stock stuff back in without anyone ever knowing.
JBrown, You are right in that I should replace the head unit. I'm just not looking for perfect sound. I want to keep the car looking stock (for show purposes) and have a modest improvement in sound. That's why I was thinking that I could just replace the speakers, put in an amp and a sub. I also know that this is best left to a professional installer. I would never attempt the work myself. I would just eff it up.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:45 AM
reno928s
Pro

I just had mine done over the weekend. Alot of work. The rear windows had to come out in order to access the rear speakers, I also have an 88 ts with the 10 speaker system. I took the car to Circuit city where a friend of mine works and he did an excellent job. The car still retained the stock speaker locations and grills. It took three guys working on it for the first three hours and then two guys for the remaing 4 hours.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:30 PM
turbinek
Instructor

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Daryl,
Are you sure you need new speakers? The stock ones are actually pretty good unless they're blown or disintegrating. I just put in ...
O.k. I didn't experience the sound of the 944 but I heard the sound of a original 968 turbo with Porsche stock sound package and it is simply no comparison to an actual package. My package is by far neither the latest nor really expensive - just need one amplifier to run to set's of speakers (3-way back located in stock position: mid and high - woofers in seperate housing removable) doors are a problem to fit 16 cm systems becaus of depth needed so my door's are not fninished yet - but the sound is way better!
Old 01-19-2007, 01:45 PM
whakiewes
Pro

To bring back an older subject, for those who are looking for premium sound with an OEM look, Nakamichi was the brand I was thinking of before. I just purchased a CD-500. Retail is right around $500. Notoriously the best for sound quality. They make a CD-300 with less options for about 1/2 the price. http://www.nakamichi.com/flash.html - in car entertainment, CD-500.

Wes
Old 07-22-2012, 10:34 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Going through this overhaul myself now, any updated info would be helpful! I have the 10 speaker system now with Eq and the Dearborn. I just picked up a Blaupunkt amped sub for under the seat. I hope this will be enough to upgrade the sound a bit.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BradS(IN)
Going through this overhaul myself now, any updated info would be helpful! I have the 10 speaker system now with Eq and the Dearborn. I just picked up a Blaupunkt amped sub for under the seat. I hope this will be enough to upgrade the sound a bit.
If you really want to get the most out of the 10 speaker option, buy an aftermarket headunit, none of the cheap crap either, spend a few hundred on a headunit with atleast 2 preouts (front + rear) with ipod/ipone connectivity and good features so you buy a headunit once and it'll last you a long time.
rip out the old headunit & graphic EQ.

Buy yourself a small 4 channel amp (JL audio have real good ones which are real small) and power the speakers by the amp. (by running wires from the amp to the speaker terminals under the dash that use to connect to the headunit/graphic EQ) and you'll notice a massive change in sound.

Most new 'good' headunits should have an 8-band EQ so you can still tune your frequency ranges.

because the small bass drivers wont be able to give the full kick of the bass, you can always use a built in crossover (depends on headunit) on the headunit or on the amp to limit how much bass comes out from the speakers and send the rest to the sub driver if you wish to install one.

Quick Reply: 10 speaker stereo question