Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best Coilover Kit for $3500-$4000

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 06:07 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
My personal, and others, experiences with Leda is that they are great shocks but require rebuilds very often. I wouldn't expect more than one season of some street and some track events without rebuilding them.
I put about 15 track days on them last season, and they felt the same on day 15 as they did on day 1. No leaks. No corrosion, when cleaned with windex and a rag they look brand new.

How do you know when they need to be rebuilt? (other than obvious leaks)
Old 01-07-2007, 06:08 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
My personal, and others, experiences with Leda is that they are great shocks but require rebuilds very often. I wouldn't expect more than one season of some street and some track events without rebuilding them.
Hey Duke,

Neither would I mate! At the end of the season I can let them have feedback that could make developments possible, thats basically what Karl at Racers Edge did. He has an incredible knowqledge of 944's and Leda shocks which is why they are so developed for 944's. Once I have built the car I will have an online diary to share experiences
Did you ever get your stuff back from Skunk racing?

Cheers
Tom
Old 01-07-2007, 11:38 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommo951
Hey Duke,

Neither would I mate! At the end of the season I can let them have feedback that could make developments possible, thats basically what Karl at Racers Edge did. He has an incredible knowledge of 944's and Leda shocks which is why they are so developed for 944's. Once I have built the car I will have an online diary to share experiences.
Good call pal! Let us know what you do.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

I have the Billstien setup that Porsche used on the Turbo Cup cars (Playboy and Rothsman series). It wasn't as expensive as the fully adjustable setups, and they work very well. Frankly, I'm not good enough where the shock technology is my limiting factor -- so getting properly valved and matched shocks that have a proven history on our cars that DIDN'T require I spend forever getting them dialed in just right gives me the oportunity to become a better driver -- like concentrating on race starts and passing strategies.

Now, FWIW, a friend of mine has a 964 in E stock that is truly amazing, but by his own admission, " the suspension on THIS car cost more than my entire F stock 911!"

So don't take my post to mean the Billstiens are the best thing out there -- they're not, but they are a good shock for the money that will make you competitive and then you can spend what you saved on going to the track -- and isn't that what it's all about?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:18 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my eyes on Bilsteins for a few years now, but if (as SoloRacer says) I can get Variant 3 KW's locally for under $3500, then I'll be taking a serious look at those instead.

Am I the only person that thinks shock prices are... well, shocking?? I mean $5000+ for high end racing shocks? fawwwwk...
Old 01-08-2007, 12:02 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

No Rich, I agree, they are blooody expensive but so are high end brakes bushes and the like.
They are not mass produced and are the result of large amounts of testing. With regular shocks the car manufacturer bears a lot of the cost of development by commiting to purchase quantities. Unfortunately with our cars nobody is going to want to stock hundreds of sets of shocks or pay for the development etc. Most are made to order hence the cost differential. Does this make sense??

Cheers
Tom
Old 01-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Yeah I understand why they are expensive, but it's still ridiculous.

Hey, a question for you guys: Which shock setup would be best for a Daily Driver street car that is driven frequently at AutoX and DE's? (1 AutoX per month and 1 DE every 2 months) The streets here in Vancouver are ridiculously bumpy, so I need shocks that can bear the brunt...
Old 01-08-2007, 01:13 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Yeah I understand why they are expensive, but it's still ridiculous.

Hey, a question for you guys: Which shock setup would be best for a Daily Driver street car that is driven frequently at AutoX and DE's? (1 AutoX per month and 1 DE every 2 months) The streets here in Vancouver are ridiculously bumpy, so I need shocks that can bear the brunt...

For road and occassional track people seem to like the KW coilover set. I can't comments though as never used it. I currently have the MO30 and its ok on UK roads which are twisty and bumpy
Old 01-08-2007, 01:51 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, a question for you guys: Which shock setup would be best for a Daily Driver street car that is driven frequently at AutoX and DE's? (1 AutoX per month and 1 DE every 2 months) The streets here in Vancouver are ridiculously bumpy, so I need shocks that can bear the brunt.
Some more info is needed before a sound recommendation can be given. At least I think so, others may not agree with me.

- What is your budget for a suspension set-up?
- Do you want to tinker with adjustments, or no, plug, play and just drive?
-Are your DE courses short sprint tracks or long/fast speedways?
-What's your driving skills? Like a weekend warrior, novice, fastest run group?
-If rebuilds are needed, can you do them yourself or no, bring it to a shop?

I think by providing us with more specific information; bugdget, skill level, mechanical abilities, and such, we can strategize and give you the best suggestion for "your" applications - which you stated above. But before I make any recommendation, I am very curious to see what whakiewes has to say. If you read his post on # 43, it sounds like his driving experience is inline with yours. That said, I'll wait to see what he suggests, since he has used a vast array of suspension combinations. Here is the link below:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...5&page=3&pp=15

Old 01-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Well, I've got an 86 951, and other than guruchips at 15psi, 968m030 sways, and an 89S LSD, my car is bone stock - including the original 20 year old Boge shocks.

My budget is $4000k, but I'd rather spend $2500~$3000 if possible.

I prefer to have adjustability, but I can live with non-adjustables if the valving and springs rate is a good compromise. (It's not a dedicated race car afterall...)

I am the AutoX chair for pca-cwr and I setup and run at least one autox every month. I'm just a tad bit frustrated that I design the courses but yet my buddy with a perfectly tuned 89 turbo is always 1 second faster.

My closest DE tracks are Mission and Seattle, which are relatively short and twisty. Portland is the longest track but it's 6 hours away. I usually run in the upper intermediate run groups at DE's. If I did enough DE's this year, I'd probably move up to advanced at each track by december.

I can do rebuilds myself if I have to, but I'd rather have a shock that doesn't require a rebuild every season. It's my daily driver!!!

Ideally, I'd have a dedicated AutoX / DE car, but that is not an option just now.

So what do you think? Should I stick with the Billy's or spring for the KW's?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can do rebuilds myself if I have to, but I'd rather have a shock that doesn't require a rebuild every season. It's my daily driver!!!
Why not fit some nice 968 M030 units like Karl posted and be done with it?

So far I fail to see a set up in this thread that compromises track requirements with everyday use that doesn't rattle your teeth out. Having known people with the M030 set up for years back in the e-mail list days, it sounds like a decent option for mild track use in a daily driver.

Anyone have prices on the M030 parts, BTW?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:46 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

KW V3 is better for everyday road use and a better performer than factory M030 so its a no brainer over the M030 setup. I have it my 993 trackday car and it rides really well on the road. I have a low miles used V3 kit in the spare room waiting to go the 968 which is a road car, the fact I stayed with KW shows how pleased I am with it on the 993. The discussion here is what is best for a more race focused setup, in the Uk at least we have not found a better compromise for track and road use than the KW yet.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nick_968
The discussion here is what is best for a more race focused setup, in the Uk at least we have not found a better compromise for track and road use than the KW yet.
I realize that. Rich was asking specifically for his daily driver. However, thanks for pointing out the benefits of KW as I was unaware of their "urban" appeal given the purpose of this thread, like you say.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:03 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No problem Luis, hope I didnt come across the wrong way.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Why not fit some nice 968 M030 units like Karl posted and be done with it?

So far I fail to see a set up in this thread that compromises track requirements with everyday use that doesn't rattle your teeth out. Having known people with the M030 set up for years back in the e-mail list days, it sounds like a decent option for mild track use in a daily driver.

Anyone have prices on the M030 parts, BTW?
I have new 968 m030 coilovers (front & rear) on my 968 and I feel that they are inadequate for my level of driving. They are fine on the street and nice at AutoX, but they are still too soft, IMO.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Best Coilover Kit for $3500-$4000