Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good Gabe almost time for the fenders
Old 01-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well time for another update

The cage is going to have to wait as Chris White is finishing up the rear suspension setup which the cage will mount to.

So for now the shop is going to start on the tube frame from the front of the strut towers forward and fit the front fiberglass clip!!!!!!

The steel front crossmember is on its way down from Chris' shop to get installed and welded to the chassis and once the cage and rear suspension mounts are in its time for the side exit exhaust and rear quarters!

The plan is to get her running in a "body in white" configuration, test her on the track then when we're satisfied she's the baddest mother out there she'll go in for paint and finish work.

Stay tuned, the next few months are going to be sweet.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:49 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

so does this mean the motor is done?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:17 AM
Guns951
Race Car

No, the motor will be completed later this year once we get the cooling system setup and the chassis finished. I want to be able to focus entirely on the motor without distractions. We're still deciding on some of the critical componants of the motor.

I can say that the motor is from a 968 with a dry sump system stitting at the shop with higher than normal compression JE pistons, the conn rods will be Ti and the ITB setup will be constructed once we're starting the top end. I don't know if we'll use those pistons or not, so we'll see what's in the cards for later.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:57 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

remember itb's isn't always a that big advantage on FI engines, but it does look pretty.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Guns951
Race Car

When you're creeping up on 600 plus at the wheels its great for excellent throttle response and will yield about 40hp in the upper range which will be useful on our high speed runs.

On lower HP motors you're absolutly correct power wise.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

IMHO an ITB setup will not gain any peak power from a correctly setup single TB.
But as you, throttle response is improved and a 3.0l 16v turbo will have enough power.

If you want to maximize power output regarding TB's you should go with slide or barrell TB's that have a completetly free path.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:14 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Guns951
When you're creeping up on 600 plus at the wheels its great for excellent throttle response and will yield about 40hp in the upper range which will be useful on our high speed runs.

On lower HP motors you're absolutly correct power wise.
up north here with all the turbo bmw's 600 is considerd "low"

some of the bmw models stock has itb's but are often converted to single as you need a plenum for map signal, and mapping itself is harder and the powergain isn't there to back the effort.

but yes, it's neat stuff when everything is tuned and working perfectly.

love the project wide = sexy, only on cars though
Old 01-16-2008, 08:46 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by anders44
up north here with all the turbo bmw's 600 is considerd "low"

some of the bmw models stock has itb's but are often converted to single as you need a plenum for map signal, and mapping itself is harder and the powergain isn't there to back the effort.

but yes, it's neat stuff when everything is tuned and working perfectly.

love the project wide = sexy, only on cars though

Making power from a HUGE CAST IRON 4 VALVE BMW is monkey's work.
Any retarded person can do it.

So I shall be proving shortly....said the monkey.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Originally Posted by anders44
wide = sexy, only on cars though
Amen brother I like my tires fat and my girls skinny, the narrow bodys are built for speed
Old 01-16-2008, 11:54 AM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Guns, maybe you've mentioned this before but what are your plans for the suspension?

Are you going to correct the geometry of the front strut suspension, go to something a bit more modern (LSA) or simply stiffen things up and utilize one of the many aftermarket A-Arms on the market?

Would seem, given the scope of the rest of your build, that you'd be looking into a true upper/lower control arm set-up front and rear with properly designed geometry.

Figured I'd ask since you're about to get started on the front end.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:59 AM
rickb20
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default so glad you mentioned this...

Be sure to have them remove the ski rack bolts at the top of the C pillars before they shoot the paint! They come right out.
I have always wondered what those bolts were for. I learned early on to look there to see if a car had been repainted, because it seems that no one bothers to remove them to keep from getting paint on them.

I'm curious now; does anyone have pictures of a ski rack using these screws? Were ski racks an option from Porsche?

sorry for the hijack
Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

I'm coming late to this thread, but here are some pics of a Gulf 944T GT car. It's a superb car. It was developed by Colin Docherty [CDOC], but Colin sold it a couple of years ago.
Maybe there's some inspiration in these pics?

Old 01-16-2008, 01:35 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Duke
If you want to maximize power output regarding TB's you should go with slide or barrell TB's that have a completetly free path.
What I was thinking. In Remote control racing, the barrell carbs were the hot ticket to run on my motor as it was a much more torquier carb. The slides were nice, but didn't provide that punch the barrell did. The barrell carb'd trucks would come out of the corner lifting the front end, where a slide carb would come out much more calmly.

Some may say the two aren't comparable, but in many ways are. I'd much rather run a single slide or barrell then have to fine tune 4 ITB's. And you're completely right about the straight shot with no interference. However, I've never seen a slide or barrell carb for 1:1 cars...
Old 01-16-2008, 04:59 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by APKhaos
I'm coming late to this thread, but here are some pics of a Gulf 944T GT car. It's a superb car. It was developed by Colin Docherty [CDOC], but Colin sold it a couple of years ago.
Maybe there's some inspiration in these pics?

WOW thats a great looking car

Quick Reply: Official Gulf Porsche 944 GTR Turbo Project Thread **Pics Updated Today Jan 5**