Old 12-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 10cm^2 turbine housing users.

For those of you with the larger KKK hotsides, can you comment on your spool-up and setup? I'm trying to decide what direction to take.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 08:28 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3rd, 4th and 5th respectively.
No gray area.
Attached Images    
Old 12-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

ST, Awesome info, TY! Can you comment on which turbo this was? Or a HP/Flow range of the turbo?

Rogue
Old 12-28-2006, 09:01 PM
special tool
Banned

my current turbo.
It will flow 750 hp whenever I can keep the damn head on it.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:38 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ST, at 18 PSI with the old turbo and #10 hotside, where did you see full boost/peak power... I think I might change it tomorrow..... With the #8 it spools too damm fast!
Old 12-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by special tool
my current turbo.
It will flow 750 hp whenever I can keep the damn head on it.
Hmm. Is it a 67mm turbo or 61mm? 750fwhp would be on the outside limits of a typical T3/T67 hybrid (LR S75) considering our crappy 8v heads. If it was a ~61mm turbo (35r, Sc61, etc) then that number is a bit optimistic and would probably be closer to ~680-700fwhp. Those spool numbers look closer to a ~61mm turbo. Sorry but, the obscurity of this is precisely the reason we need to know some general wheel sizes. Without specs and until that power is actually made, sorry to say but it's all talk. I've seen alot of reputable builder's/tuners make some unrealistic claims before, so no offense but, I'm always skeptical. I'm still of the opinion that VR releasing general wheel sizes will do absolutely nothing to hurt their business, and in no way, shape or form will it affect their "intellectual property". Plenty of other retailers do. Is it a stage 4 or stage 5 VR turbo? In all honesty, without understanding the approximate size of the turbo, your datalogs really don't give anyone a basis of comparison for anything except for that type of VR turbo. If that truly is a 67mm turbo with a ~stage 5 turbine or larger and considering the #10 housing, then that is some damn impressive spool! Sorry, I'm not trying to come off like a jerk, but there are far too many variables here to take a completely unknown turbo's datalog and really make any kind of educated comparison with it.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:49 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Hmm. Is it a 67mm turbo or 61mm? 750fwhp would be on the outside limits of a typical T3/T67 hybrid (LR S75) considering our crappy 8v heads. If it was a ~61mm turbo (35r, Sc61, etc) then that number is a bit optimistic and would probably be closer to ~680-700fwhp. Those spool numbers look closer to a ~61mm turbo. Sorry but, the obscurity of this is precisely the reason we need to know some general wheel sizes. Without specs and until that power is actually made, sorry to say but it's all talk. I've seen alot of reputable builder's/tuners make some unrealistic claims before, so no offense but, I'm always skeptical. I'm still of the opinion that VR releasing general wheel sizes will do absolutely nothing to hurt their business, and in no way, shape or form will it affect their "intellectual property". Plenty of other retailers do. Is it a stage 4 or stage 5 VR turbo? In all honesty, without understanding the approximate size of the turbo, your datalogs really don't give anyone a basis of comparison for anything except for that type of VR turbo. If that truly is a 67mm turbo with a ~stage 5 turbine or larger and considering the #10 housing, then that is some damn impressive spool! Sorry, I'm not trying to come off like a jerk, but there are far too many variables here to take a completely unknown turbo's datalog and really make any kind of educated comparison with it.
Jesus Christ are you a pain in the ***.
The guy asked for #10 data - so I gave it.
I cannot ethically divulge specs of a turbo that was designed for me by a friend who asked me not to tell - he did not HAVE to ask!
If I had designed it, I would tell everyone, (maybe even YOU, you scorch ), but I didn't.
Can you fathom this?
Old 12-29-2006, 08:05 AM
Corleone
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porschefile
I´ll agree!

Why dont someone mesaure up their VR turbos so everyone can see that it is no magic turbos. Mostly wheels and turbines are Garret ones and still they are the most efficiency ones.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:30 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, even in my limited turbo design knowledge, I can say that talking about a hotside and it's performance/spool up is meaningless without knowing what the specs are on the compressor side.

I have a "#8" hotside and see 1 bar at 4K in 4th. ST has a "#10" and sees 1 bar at 3,700 in 4th. ?????

Obviously, his compressor side is much different than mine.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by toddk911
Well, even in my limited turbo design knowledge, I can say that talking about a hotside and it's performance/spool up is meaningless without knowing what the specs are on the compressor side.

I have a "#8" hotside and see 1 bar at 4K in 4th. ST has a "#10" and sees 1 bar at 3,700 in 4th. ?????

Obviously, his compressor side is much different than mine.
Sorry ST, I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk. I'm used to the Japanese aftermarket where all of this info is just out there for free and common knowledge, and that's largely how I've gained much of my knowledge about turbochargers. Without having some type of technical information to form some kind of educated comparison, it's impossible for anyone to substantiate claims of this or that turbo is "better, difference in spool times, or any other number of questions. Generally, from the limited info I've seen of the 10cm2 housings, it sounds as if they are probably similar in size/flow capability to a Garrett ~ 0.7x to 0.8x T3 exhaust housing. That would make sense considering the spool that Todd is seeing with his turbo on a 2.5l.

And that's exactly my point Todd. Without knowing the general size of the turbo, there is no real logical or accurate comparison anyone can make except for the person that does know the size of those components. We could be comparing a T25 to a T88 for all we know, and any comments about the T25 spooling faster wouldn't mean a thing as it's smaller so logically it would have to.

Cold hard facts, specs, data etc speaks for itself. Internet heresay and pixy dust don't. I understand your ethical reasoning for not wanting to release that info, however John should IMO. Anyways, enough of that.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:54 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"I'm used to the Japanese aftermarket where all of this info is just out there for free and common knowledge, and that's largely how I've gained much of my knowledge about turbochargers. "

Which is why a 951 hitting 600whp is a super big deal and an asian import hitting 600whp is not a big deal.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:58 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Looking at ST's charts again it seems he is a little on the lean side for being at full boost, no?

I know for spool up you run leaner to help or more advance, but at full boost I would expect 12:1 or slightly under.

Or is that a WHOLE lot of timing added in causing a more lean condition????
Old 12-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

I would agree that he is lean for pump gas. However he runs so much Xylene, that it probably isn't a big deal. I'm usually around 11.5afrs under full boost.

Rogue

Quick Reply: 10cm^2 turbine housing users.