Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How to care for a garage queen??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to care for a garage queen??

My 20K-mile '87 just sits in the garage a LOT, since I find myself not wanting to drive it because of the low miles and pristine condition and having it insured on a very limited-use policy with an agreed value. That, and not having any spare time lately... (I know, I'm nuts!).
I'm going to sell the car to someone who will actually USE it for something--maybe concours. Until then I'm wondering what I should do to make sure I don't cause any real damage letting it sit for long periods? How much driving is needed to make sure everything is well-lubricated, etc.??

I hadn't thought much about this until today (Christmas) when I thought I would take it out for a run in the hills and discovered the battery had died. Thinking back I guess I haven't driven it in 4-6 weeks!! Before then I would drive it at least once every couple of weeks. I'm planning to jump start it tomorrow and go for a nice canyon run. Do I need to take any precautions before starting it up after this kind of layoff?

TIA and happy holidays to all.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:39 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

only 4 to 6 weeks, and you have been driving it every couple of weeks before that, I would say don't worry about it...

If I were to "keep" a car. I would drive it every couple of weeks for at least 1 hour to make sure everything is warmed up and well lubricated. My grandmothers hot rod 65 Galaxy 500 had to have the dual exhausts replaced every couple of years. She drove it to the grocery store and church once a week.

I would much rather buy a well cared for daily driver than a garage queen no matter how well cared for the low miles garage queen was. My nephew likes to buy old garage queens and fix them up. It is amazing to me the amount of things he has to fix that rotted just sitting there.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:58 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
only 4 to 6 weeks, and you have been driving it every couple of weeks before that, I would say don't worry about it...

If I were to "keep" a car. I would drive it every couple of weeks for at least 1 hour to make sure everything is warmed up and well lubricated. My grandmothers hot rod 65 Galaxy 500 had to have the dual exhausts replaced every couple of years. She drove it to the grocery store and church once a week.

I would much rather buy a well cared for daily driver than a garage queen no matter how well cared for the low miles garage queen was. My nephew likes to buy old garage queens and fix them up. It is amazing to me the amount of things he has to fix that rotted just sitting there.
You should see what happens to aircraft when they sit... When we are in heavy flight ops our birds do not break near as much as when they sit for long periods of time. Same thing in general aviation. I had a part time job doing that when I was stationed in California. Doctors and Lawyers who own Bonanzas and flew them once every couple of months, kept the little mom and pop company I worked for afloat. The guys who were out everyweekend we hardely saw.

IPSC
Old 12-26-2006, 10:03 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC

Agreed, completely.

I'm not sure Concourse really qualifies as 'use'.

If you are that particular about the potential buyer and how the car will be used, your best place to sell will be in Panorama and through the PCA. I'm sure you'll be looking for a premium which few buyers here will be willing to meet. A vast majority of the buyers here will define use as drive often, DE, and autoX.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:10 AM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Strip it down for a track car!

Although it's not a garage queen my car has 80k and I don't drive it near enough. I have a small oil leak at the front crank seal. If I drive it several times a week it doesn't leak. If I let it sit there is always a couple of drips on the garage floor.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:51 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
Agreed, completely.

If you are that particular about the potential buyer and how the car will be used, your best place to sell will be in Panorama and through the PCA. I'm sure you'll be looking for a premium which few buyers here will be willing to meet. A vast majority of the buyers here will define use as drive often, DE, and autoX.
I agree with ya pal.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

I have had a few queens I couldn't or wouldn't drive. I would tell you that that particular car isn't worth enough to worry about it, but if you keep it make sure that temperature and humidity are controlled if you aren't going to drive it.

I bought my 951 from a guy who felt the same way you do. It had up to date service, but needed oil cooler seals very soon after I bought it. It is a great car, and I love driving it. I keep it clean and covered. IMO they like to be driven.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Stephen, long time no hear.

Dude, I use a motorcycle tricle charger on cars I'm not consistantly driving. It's a smart charger that clicks off when battery reaches a certain stored voltage. It will bring a dead battery up overnight as well, about $40 IIRC - it will surely solve your problem there.

IPSC: Motorcycles are the same way, they dont like to sit. You incur a whole bunch of lame maintenance if they arent used regularly - really, the more the better.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Tms951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know people that have collector cars that they only drive once or twice a year to shows. They start it up and let it come up to teperature once a week and roll it a little to stop the tires from flat spotting once a month or so. They also keep a trickle charger on the battery. Have moth ***** and baking soda in the cars and keep the car in a dry temperature controled garage.

I would say the most important thing is to have the garage as dry as possible.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:50 PM
amschnellsten
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drive it more. I used to work on 308s and the major problems were from letting them sit. Drive while you got it because life is too short.

Quick Reply: How to care for a garage queen??