Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

UK 3.2 Turbo hits the road

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:45 PM
indi9xx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just looking at the VR site again, it indeed does look like the VR-MAF and VR-Piggyback is the way to go.... the only thing is, its down to Paul.

Only advantage to stand alone is with the MAF and Piggyback, Paul would be getting close to the cost of some of the low end stand alone costs and would get some extra bits in the deal such as electronic mappable boost control, coil on plug and the ability to go fully sequential injection.. along with an open door for not needing to spend any money apart from dyno time in the future if he changes his spec.... extra costs though would mainly be labour times of mapping a stand alone.

So many options... but its not my bank balance! lol
Old 01-02-2007, 10:46 PM
indi9xx
Advanced

Hopefully Paul will get the chance to get back on here soon... I know he was away from home over the new year.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:15 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

indi9xx & Paul, you have a very nice engine. I have been away from the computer, so reading & replying to threads has been slow.

Just to clarify a few items. The VR MAF comes with mapped software to work with the engine out of the box. We have the capability of adding multiple images on the chip/board based on your requirements. Of course, flexibility on any project, especially one like this is a must. This is where the PB comes into play. You can adjust AFR and timing. Have dual maps to switch in between via a toggle switch or via the software. There are many features that can be used as needed.
The beauty of this setup is the ease of use and the plug-and-go chracteristics.
I also recommend you take a look at the VR Wasted Spark system, it might be something you want to consider for your project.

Given the magnitude of this project, feel free to contact me directly to discuss further.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:21 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast951
indi9xx & Paul, you have a very nice engine. I have been away from the computer, so reading & replying to threads has been slow.

Just to clarify a few items. The VR MAF comes with mapped software to work with the engine out of the box. We have the capability of adding multiple images on the chip/board based on your requirements. Of course, flexibility on any project, especially one like this is a must. This is where the PB comes into play. You can adjust AFR and timing. Have dual maps to switch in between via a toggle switch or via the software. There are many features that can be used as needed. The beauty of this setup is the ease of use and the plug-and-go chracteristics. I also recommend you take a look at the VR Wasted Spark system, it might be something you want to consider for your project.

Given the magnitude of this project, feel free to contact me directly to discuss further.
Thanks for jumping in John and clarifying things for Paul's benefit. And as you know, I think the Wasted Spark is awesome!

Old 01-03-2007, 05:15 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Go for it J, go for that big bore and make some "big power" as ST would say! Have a Merry X Mas one too pal.

Little late on the quote but, yeah this is what im thinking about more and more. Why not just get a new motor ya know.

a 5k project now turns into 15k. arghhhh

btw my christmas was great man thanks. I hope yours went well too.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:57 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Little late on the quote but, yeah this is what im thinking about more and more. Why not just get a new motor ya know. A 5k project now turns into 15k. arghhhh.
Sure thing pal. Get that money ready and build a monster of yours. How about you got for the gusto and make everyone look bad? Go for that 3.4L 16V?

Old 01-04-2007, 04:35 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah those are all serious possiblities in the future but, im far away from making that call now. I don't even know what those motors cost to build because they haven't stated yet. I hope they become a rennlist sponser and start developing these motors for us. It would be great.

I could be up for sheading 15k on a 3.2ltr but, if it costs more than that I don't see how I could pull it off. At least not anytime remotley soon. Well see i'll keep my pants on with the money I got put back and see what this next year brings.

You don't know how close I came to just calling john and ordering the stage 3 kit for the holidays. A nice christmas present to myself. muahaha. I think his products are great(i've driven a couple vitesse cars now) and it would be cool to finally be done with the 2.5ltr.

But, now **** maybe wait another 18 months or so and build a 3.2ltr and buy johns stage 5 kit. haha. Oh god this is how it starts
Old 01-04-2007, 04:41 AM
Guns951
Race Car

You got that right....I went to Chris asking for a 2.8, he said "no, I know you want a 3 liter, its best for your application" and he was RIGHT! Never settle, wait the extra time and get what you really want.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:01 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

You forget to check the oil level one time at the track and look where it gets you?
Spun #2 bearing and now a major rebuild that's costing a kings ransom. Ah well, you can't take it with you and this is no dress rehearsal. May as well do it now!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 11:27 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Sure thing pal. Get that money ready and build a monster of yours. How about you got for the gusto and make everyone look bad? Go for that 3.4L 16V?

How far can you punch out a 951 motor???
Old 01-04-2007, 11:32 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by toddk911
How far can you punch out a 951 motor???
The most I heard of on a 951 is a 3.4L, but I'm "not" an expert builder. I am sure that Chris White knows or someone else does. Now whether or not it will hold up or has been tested for extended periods of time, is a whole other thing. Maybe an "expert" will chime in and give you a definate answer.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Diver944
Pro

And hey, tell Paul to get his butt on Rennlist and post once in a while
Hey, I've been away for the New year holiday - it's been party time over here

Anyway it's still too cold, damp and miserable to get any interesting video for you to oggle at. I'm sure you wouldn't want to watch me pootling around town off boost - very boring

I have however booked my first trackday for the 3.2 and a bunch of other 944 owners over here on 24th Febr at http://www.bedfordautodrome.com/ which is about 10 miles away from me. I'm nearly decided to do one before that at Castle Combe circuit on 3rd Feb, just as a shakedown.

Sorry Rolex, but I think that due to budgetry constraints I will be delaying any further development of the car for the forseeable future. I don't need warp drive and think I will be more than happy with just a mere Rocketship for the time being . A project like this 3.2 does not come cheaply and when you add everything up it starts to get very expensive, very quickly and its easy to get carried away with 'if I just optimise that, or if I just increase this'. It can become never ending and you simply run out of time and money to actually enjoy driving the thing.

I will get a custom map by a respected Porsche tuner on a dyno to suit the 3.2 on its AFM but I think that adding the VR MAF, Piggyback and wasted spark right now is just too expensive and will eat into my trackday budget for the rest of the year and I want to spend time learning how to drive her again (after the 18 month break )

At least this way I know I have quite a few more steps in hand should I get bored of the increased power
Old 01-04-2007, 01:04 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Diver944
Hey, I've been away for the New year holiday - it's been party time over here. I will get a custom map by a respected Porsche tuner on a dyno to suit the 3.2 on it's AFM but I think that adding the VR MAF, Piggyback and wasted spark right now is just too expensive and will eat into my trackday budget for the rest of the year and I want to spend time learning how to drive her again (after the 18 month break ). At least this way I know I have quite a few more steps in hand should I get bored of the increased power
Happy New Years to you to Paul! And I hear ya, project cars like yours are not cheap, trust me I know mate. Anyway, enjoy your car in good health. There will always be plenty of time for further upgrades at some point too. Keep us posted, and if you can take some nice track pics too, ok?

Old 01-04-2007, 03:26 PM
DivineE
Racer

...and the best thread award goes to.. PAUL!!! I've just read it from post one to here and enjoyed every bit (except the tires conversation which got a little boring!).

I have to say (having had the pleasure of a ride in this car quite early on in its running in ‘15psi stage’) that this thread is seriously overlooking the best aspect of this car!

The way this car drives is simply leaps and bounds beyond any other 944 turbo or in fact any sports orientated turbo car I’ve been in!!

Jon (indi9xx) has seriously pulled of a miracle in that it feels and drives like an N/A car but with the all the added propulsion and aggression of a turbo. It’s the best of both worlds.

That momentary calm moment when you first floor the throttle in a 944 turbo, just before the boost kicks in at low revs and all of the hesitation has totally gone! It just accelerates smartly and smoothly like an S2 and then like a jet engine the G-force just in builds and builds as the turbo comes into its own.

Imagining a 944 turbo that has the power to spin the wheels in all gears is not that difficult because of the violent on/off way it accelerates but look at the rpm he is talking about... 70mph in 5th that’s nothing! Its like having an S2 which can spin the wheels in 5th!!! Just Bl**dy ridiculous!

This car on a track should be insane because you get the benefits of being able to accelerate out of the bends early like a lux or S2 but then when the track opens out onto a straight it’ll just be gone! Mmmmmmmmmm... booooost!

Ben
Old 01-04-2007, 05:17 PM
davyboy
Advanced

Let me drive it at the Nordschleife please

Quick Reply: UK 3.2 Turbo hits the road