Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Brake Caliper Coatings

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 09:17 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Brake Caliper Coatings

I'm rebuilding my brake calipers this winter and would like to have them refinished/recoated. My car sees the track a couple times a year so i'm interested in compairing the performance characteristics of powder coated calipers with a heat dissipating coating.
Any recomendations, I know Goldline and Swain Technologies both have heat dissipating coatings. I'm looking for first hand experience and performance advantages/disadvantages between the different types of coatings.
The car is an 89 turbo, with stock S4 calipers.
Thanks, and of course pictures are always welcome.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:02 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Wow, I need to come up with some better questions, 50 peaks and no opinions? Anyway, here is what i am planning.
1. Remove calipers from car, remove pistons and seals, clean with Dupli brake cleaner and brass brush.
2. Tape off cylinders, bleeder valves and coat with Dupli High Heat Paint with Ceramic (aerosol), this product seems to have some heat dissipating characteristics. I may bake them in an oven depending on product recommendation.
3. Install new seals, new boots, replace pistons as necessary.
4. Install stainless steel brake lines and replace/bleed fluid. ATE super blue.

I would like to hear from those of you who have recoated their calipers and frequent the track, paint, powder or polymer. Any issues, how have they help up, heat entrapment? If not i guess i'll have to update you next year and let you know how they are holding up.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:42 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've coated my S4 calipers with a heat dissipating coating and I'm pleased with the results.

I've only had it on the track two weekends and the track is not as demanding on brakes (Brainerd) but look forward to trying them on Road America to see if the coating is helping.

The coating is supposed to throw off heat 20% faster than uncoated aluminum. I never did any testing before so don't have a before and after but I think it makes a difference.

I also coated my intake (top half) with the same heat dissipating coating and the bottom half with a heat insulating coating to attempt to keep the charge air as dense as possible.

My pics are on my other computer so I can't show you pic's, they are just a dull ugly green color. No bling.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:57 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

My impression is that the Duplicolor Ceramic paints are heat retentive, not heat dissipating. Look at most ceramic linings and coatings used to hold heat in before the turbo. Many heat dissipating coatings are thin dry-film lubricating sprays such as Calico CT-4 but serve no cosmetic purpose. http://www.calicocoatings.com/coatin..._coatings.html
Old 12-16-2006, 12:02 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

f1 rocks thanks for the post, do you remember the type of coating you used?
Pics aren't necessary, no bling here either, just clean and performing...
i'm down in madison, wi maybe i'll see you at RA next year.

KuHL 951, thanks for the link, i also thought the ceramics were for heat retention. Dupli-color's web site suggests this paint is heat dissipating though it is marketed as an engine enamel and high heat paint, maybe i'm to optimistic in finding a solution. http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

More research needed, anyone else with coated calipers and some track time?
Old 12-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I will second the opinion that Calico makes some nice coatings.
To do a brake caliper it should be completely disassembled (including separating the halves).
Old 12-16-2006, 03:07 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mj951
f1 rocks thanks for the post, do you remember the type of coating you used?
Pics aren't necessary, no bling here either, just clean and performing...
i'm down in madison, wi maybe i'll see you at RA next year.
I'll check with my coater, he gave me a detailed sheet with test data but I don't know where I put it.

Nordstern is at RA July 16/17 this year. That's when I plan on being there then staying for the Kohler vintage races that weekend.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:45 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

f1 rocks, thanks for checking.
I'll keep the July date in mind, i have been on track at RA but have not run a DE there yet, only Black Hawk Farms. Look forward to my first outing in the P-car.

I checked out a can of the Dupli engine enamel and the can says it is heat dispersing which is different from what there web site says, heat dissipating.
i'm planning to call a couple of powder coaters next week, i assume any coater could apply the Calico CT-4.

Chris, i thought taking the calipers apart was a no,no...i was planning to seal the cylinders and bleeders off prior to coating?
Old 12-16-2006, 06:09 PM
smac951
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Does a standard powder coat contain heat?
Old 12-16-2006, 06:15 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by smac951
Does a standard powder coat contain heat?
Standard powder coating does retain the heat. How much I don't know but a coated caliper will retain heat longer than a "naked" one.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:58 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by mj951
Chris, i thought taking the calipers apart was a no,no...i was planning to seal the cylinders and bleeders off prior to coating?
It is supposed to be a no no. But most coaters will want you to do it in order to give you a good job. I don't think that it is such a big deal, seems like more of a legal issue since brake failure is usually a very bad thng. I would make sure you match the parts if you do take them apart.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:36 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
It is supposed to be a no no. But most coaters will want you to do it in order to give you a good job. I don't think that it is such a big deal, seems like more of a legal issue since brake failure is usually a very bad thng. I would make sure you match the parts if you do take them apart.
So Chris if I upgrade to a set of Big Reds or something else, and want the rear calipers to be patined red to match the front, what coating do you suggest?

Old 12-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

It really comes down to looks vs function. You would have to have a pretty serious track car and flog it pretty hard to worry about heat coatings on a big red set up.
The red color on the big reds can be difficult to match and cheap powder coating will change color a bit if it gets really hot.

So – it comes down to a cosmetic choice, pick a color….
Old 12-17-2006, 09:19 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
The red color on the big reds can be difficult to match and cheap powder coating will change color a bit if it gets really hot. So - it comes down to a cosmetic choice, pick a color….
I want it to match the Big Red, red color, you can do it, I have faith!

Last edited by RolexNJ; 12-18-2006 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Coatings