Carbon removal on pistons while in the block

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 06:28 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon removal on pistons while in the block

I've searched and found multiple opinions on why not to use a bunch of different products/methods....but haven't really found one (mostly) agreed upon method. Have any new products or opinions surfaced as of late?

Cleaners:
Oven cleaner
Simple Green
Glass cleaner for stoves/furnaces
Carb cleaner
etc...

As far as applicator(s) I'd like to stick w/ the paper towel route just because the wire brushes/wheels/Scotch Brite etc... seem a little bit too aggressive for what I need to do. I do have a fare amount of build up but nothing out of the ordinary for a 951 w/ 100k (PO had Autothority chips ?-80k; I've ran Guru 15psi chips up until 100k).

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2006, 06:35 PM
eospeed
Racer

Leave it on there its just more comp.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

The carbon on my pistons was very hard -- paper towels would have taken forever and all the pulp, etc. would quickly be a mess. I used simple green and various solvents with Scotch Brite -- protecting the ring ridge with paper towels and then blowing compressed air and vacuuming several times before buttoning it up. Even that took me several hours of tedious cleaning.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:38 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Wipe with Coke or Pepsi and remove the residue with a piece of wooden baton.
Carb Cleaner can leave residue on bores

Originally Posted by cheetah chrome
I've searched and found multiple opinions on why not to use a bunch of different products/methods....but haven't really found one (mostly) agreed upon method. Have any new products or opinions surfaced as of late?

Cleaners:
Oven cleaner
Simple Green
Glass cleaner for stoves/furnaces
Carb cleaner
etc...

As far as applicator(s) I'd like to stick w/ the paper towel route just because the wire brushes/wheels/Scotch Brite etc... seem a little bit too aggressive for what I need to do. I do have a fare amount of build up but nothing out of the ordinary for a 951 w/ 100k (PO had Autothority chips ?-80k; I've ran Guru 15psi chips up until 100k).

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

dont get any between the cylinder and piston. May or may not damage, but carbon is strong stuff, not worth the risk.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:59 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the quick replies gang.

EO,
higher comp and detonation

Tom,
Yup, I imagine this will take hours of elbow grease to do...what grade of ScotchBrite pad did you use? PS I've been referencing your headgasket and turbo R&R write ups for most of the work I've been doing. Great work and thanks!!!

Tommo,
I know colas will eat through lots of stuff like tooth enamel in less than a week if soaked in it but do you have experience using it?

Eyal,
Yup that's what I'm worried about.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:37 PM
eospeed
Racer

EO,
higher comp and detonation

I know this but you have more chance of getting carbon or dirt in the rings an messing up your cyl walls than you do have det problems because you left it.IMO

E
Old 12-04-2006, 07:39 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sea Foam
Old 12-04-2006, 10:26 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mopar combustion chamber cleaner...best stuff I've found for the job. Visit your local Chrysler dealer, comes in an aerosol can.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:08 PM
shane rizzo
Intermediate

Turn the crank till all the pistons are some what in the middle of the bore and fill them all up with brake fluid. Im a porsche tech and beleve me this works. Try to leave it in there for a few days and it will start to brake up the carbon on top. some of it will leak pass the rings but, you are going to drain the oil anyway. try to keep it toped off. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to suggest a carbon remover like sea foam, turn the engine until 2 pistons are just past TDC, about 1/2-1" down from the top, then clean the pistons. Next rotate the engine so the pistons are moving down, clean any remaining grit from the cylinder walls as the piston moves down, this way it won't get stuck and scratch the bores. When done do the other 2 cylinders.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I actually use the standard green scotchbrite-- like the kind on the back of sponges at the supermarket. I'd try some of the carbon removers recommended here -- Simple Green takes a long time, carb and parts cleaners are only a little better, but made me light-headed as I stood there and worked on the pistons. If memory serves, my hg write up starts with a picture of the freshly cleaned pistons.

Carbon also heats up and creates hot spots and/or little glow plugs in the cylinder -- not good at all. If you're careful, you can avoid getting debris in the rings. Mine's been fine since the cleaning for example.

Originally Posted by cheetah chrome
Tom,
Yup, I imagine this will take hours of elbow grease to do...what grade of ScotchBrite pad did you use? PS I've been referencing your headgasket and turbo R&R write ups for most of the work I've been doing. Great work and thanks!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Exactly, try to remove it since it create hot spots which is very bad.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:49 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup, that's the detonation source I was concerned w/ above reply (glow plugs). Thanks for all of the replies gang. I should be digging into this sometime this week/weekend...I'll post how things turn out.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:35 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

water injection....or sea foam

Quick Reply: Carbon removal on pistons while in the block