Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need some "big bore" advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 02:49 AM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh Rob forgot to mention, if you read my post I said there were probably better pistons than JE, and then gave some possibilities. I also clearly said which I used and am happy with.

Again good luck on your search, I have talked to the people I mentioned, but their comments and beliefs are their's to make so I'll let you decide for yourself.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:20 PM
1FastRedSC
Instructor

Well, pistons are trashed bad (i'll post pics when i can), but the liners now that i have the block totally bare isn't bad at all. My machinist says he wants to take .010 off the bores to get the scratches from the pistons off, then hone them to a new set of pistons. I talked to ebs, the biggest set they have is 4.104 on the shelf, but the .010 he's taking off will put the biggest bore to 4.106. He told me to look for 4.110 pistons so that it gives him some clearance to work with. So is there anyone else i can call up for a set of pistons? Someone mentioned wiseco and that they run closer tolerance, any specifics on just how much tighter they are?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4.104"? That works out to just under 104.25mm. Dont they have a set of 104.5mm jugs? Those would come out to aprox 4.110" I thought these were available, just not the 104's. Call Andial if you get a chance as well since those pistons look like the solution you need.

Other than the Mahle's, I dont know of any true alusil-capable piston available on the open market (?).

BTW, I envy where you live - Love Taos in the winter!
Old 12-15-2006, 10:12 PM
1FastRedSC
Instructor

This thing has iron liners, not the stock ausil. They said they are available but not on the shelf, so they'd have to order them from JE.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:14 PM
1FastRedSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt Sheppard
Yeah the weather is cool, but not having emission inspection is even better
Old 12-15-2006, 10:42 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

4.104"? That works out to just under 104.25mm. Dont they have a set of 104.5mm jugs? Those would come out to aprox 4.110" I thought these were available, just not the 104's. Call Andial if you get a chance as well since those pistons look like the solution you need.

Other than the Mahle's, I dont know of any true alusil-capable piston available on the open market (?).

Matt - LR is selling stock sized Wiseco pistons with Swaintech coatings on the skirt as repacements for Alusil bores. They have tested them in higher hp 951s and found them to be in good shape upon diassembly.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:39 AM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1FastRedSC
Well, pistons are trashed bad (i'll post pics when i can), but the liners now that i have the block totally bare isn't bad at all. My machinist says he wants to take .010 off the bores to get the scratches from the pistons off, then hone them to a new set of pistons. I talked to ebs, the biggest set they have is 4.104 on the shelf, but the .010 he's taking off will put the biggest bore to 4.106. He told me to look for 4.110 pistons so that it gives him some clearance to work with. So is there anyone else i can call up for a set of pistons? Someone mentioned wiseco and that they run closer tolerance, any specifics on just how much tighter they are?
I may be missing something here but if your machinist bores the block and the largest bore would then be 4.106", then the 4.104" pistons that EBS has would only give you .002" total clearance. On the Iron liners with aluminum pistons that isn't enough. The absolute minimum would be .004" and on a turbocharged engine and from experience I would think .005" to .006" clearance would work. JE recommends .006" but says that a little tighter might work. The solution seems to be, get the EBS pistons and have the machinist match the bore to the pistons. As a bit of insurance I would have the piston skirts coated.

Good luck
Old 12-16-2006, 01:54 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ah, yes, sorry red. Well, It may be a wait then.

Oh, and I dont have emissions testing on any of my cars either. I just happen to live in one of those agricultural zip codes in California . Haven't had a smog test in 2 years

Keep us posted on how this goes and watch those gauges.

Brendan:
I was running the Swain coat on the skirts of my stock pistons in the red car before I took it down to part it. 10K miles and really good compression #'s. Did Dave say it was Swain coatings as I had been told they are using some similar plasma process but not Swain's directly? All coatings are not created equal (or equally endowed as I like to think of it). John Anderson used to use this rattle-can shiet on his builds and we know how many of those went. [source: out of his own mouth standing in his now defunct shop.]
Old 12-16-2006, 02:24 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Did Dave say it was Swain coatings as I had been told they are using some similar plasma process but not Swain's directly? All coatings are not created equal (or equally endowed as I like to think of it).

Yes, Dave mentions Swain on his website as the coating company. It really seems to be working.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:28 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmmm….I will be out in Santa Fe later this week for Christmas. Interested in a second opinion?
BTW - I can order up JE pistons in any size you want – that’s what a custom piston is all about. I also have a system for calculating the correct dish volume – if you just ask for stock dish the CR will change a great deal as the diameter goes up.

Chris White

PS – I had lunch with Jack Sparks last week…..
Old 12-16-2006, 11:38 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chris White
Hmmm….I will be out in Santa Fe later this week for Christmas. Interested in a second opinion? BTW - I can order up JE pistons in any size you want – that’s what a custom piston is all about. I also have a system for calculating the correct dish volume – if you just ask for stock dish the CR will change a great deal as the diameter goes up.

Chris White

PS - I had lunch with Jack Sparks last week…..
Well Chris, I can't wait until you get back so I can hear what you would out about pistons for us. And enough talk about circle track and Tony Stewart, what is this a Nascar Board!

dand86951: Thanks for all of your help and suggestions pal, I do appreciate it. And yes, as I know there are better pistons out there than J&E, hence, more of a reason I/we need to hear what Chris thinks more so since he went to that show.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:51 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

As for pistons I know that the shop in California (CMW) that knife edged and lightened my crank was mainly into high performance 911's. They were testing carbon fibre pistons. Now those would have been crazy.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:18 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Soloracer

Thats quite the fleet of cars and bikes you have I like the kelly moss one the best. Lets see more pictures of that car come summer time.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:06 PM
1FastRedSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris White
Hmmm….I will be out in Santa Fe later this week for Christmas. Interested in a second opinion?
BTW - I can order up JE pistons in any size you want – that’s what a custom piston is all about. I also have a system for calculating the correct dish volume – if you just ask for stock dish the CR will change a great deal as the diameter goes up.

Chris White
I'll take you up on that offer to order up some JE's. For the second opinion, i doubt you want to drive from santa fe to here during your holidays. 3 and a half hours one way.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:09 PM
1FastRedSC
Instructor

Oh and how much is the skirt coating from swain tech?

Quick Reply: Need some "big bore" advice