Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need some "big bore" advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 01:17 AM
1FastRedSC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the way, i also built a working Megasquirt from scratch, modified it with MSnS extra firmware, then made my own ignition driver circuit to drive coils straight from the MS. That is actually one of the few things that hasn't blow'n up yet appearantly
Old 11-29-2006, 03:00 AM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

1FastRedSc, I would dare say that anyone who has spent time working on these cars or any performance car and who has tried to increase its performance has made a mistake or two. By trying you learn a lot, by making a mistake and learning from it you learn a helluva lot more.

One question I have is how many miles and at what boost levels did the engine operate successfully after the sleeves were first installed? Do you know for a fact that the original sleeve install was good?

If it was then it makes sense to simply over bore and get new pistons. You are not restricted to JE, but they do have the basic blanks you need to get a good fit with correct compression ratio. Neal at PD can get you other pistons and I believe Wiseco and Ross, and Arrow also make pistons for your application.

I am not sure why everyone thinks installing a TEC2 or TEC3 is so mindbogggling, expensive yes, but once you get the harness and crank trigger hooked up it is an excellent tuning tool which will stay with you throughout all future mods, and you will be the one who knows how to make the changes necessary to get it in tune.

Good luck and hope the block comes out ok.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:00 AM
AL951
Racer

1Fastreadsc, don't give up on your project. We all have set backs, but they can be overcame.

With no disrespect to those professionals in this forum,Their is nothing better then building something with your own two hands. Even if takes a couple of tries and more money to completed.

REMINDER TO ALL:
We are here to help people NOT to judges them.

regards,
AL

Last edited by AL951; 11-29-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:01 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I want to know about the other 2 cylinders and where I can get them? lol
Old 11-29-2006, 12:52 PM
1FastRedSC
Instructor

333pg333, the other car i was talking about is my 1983 911sc, hence the 6 cylinders.
AL951, trust me dude, this thing is turning into goliath and i'm david, sooner or later i will knock that giant down.
dand86951, I've heard in application with 911 that they tend to make a lot of noise from light piston slap. Don't know if that was a screw up of bad batches, maybe someone bored in too much clearance when fitting them to the cylinders. Besides i've always assumed that JE is the top gun of the custom piston world?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aftermarket forged pistons like JE's will be loud in any engine until warm because of the piston to cyl. clearances you have to run. The orig. Mahle High-silica pistons require much less clearance and they stay quieter durring warm up. Once warm, they should not be noisy. The Ross pistons in my 2.7 were loud even when warm, but I attribute that to the lameness of the "professional" that assembled the motor.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:31 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Matt Sheppard
Aftermarket forged pistons like JE's will be loud in any engine until warm because of the piston to cyl. clearances you have to run. The orig. Mahle High-silica pistons require much less clearance and they stay quieter durring warm up.
I've never heard that about J&E Pistons but will look into that. Thanks for the heads up. As far as the Mahle, the factory ones I used weren't loud at all, but were totally quiet.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:25 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

As Matt said, the noise due to piston slap is generally only heard on a cold engine. With iron liners and aluminum pistons the clearances have to be four to five times greater than the factory aluminum to aluminum clearances. That said running .005 to .006 clearances with coated skirts on JE pistons in Darton Liners, I don't have much noise other than briefly on a very cold engine startup.

JE pistons are very good but you could probably find many who would claim there are better pistons on the market, they will also be significantly more expensive. There are a lot of JE pistons running very scucessfully in flat six Porsche engines.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe that Wiseco runs the tightest clearences - thus less piston slap.

Rogue
Old 11-29-2006, 08:57 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dand86951
JE pistons are very good but you could probably find many who would claim there are better pistons on the market, they will also be significantly more expensive. There are a lot of JE pistons running very scucessfully in flat six Porsche engines.
Please enlighten me. Which are the best or better than J & E? I would like to know. Do you have web sites? Which Porsches are running them too? GT3, Super Cup, what? And I know about Arrow pistons, so leave them out of the equation too, thanks.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:08 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Check with EBS racing re the 911s running JE pistons. I don't know of any new GT3s personally but there are lots of 911s of various years running with JE in Porsche cylinders. Keep in mind they would be running in a Nikasil bore not a Alusil bore. Talk to Neal at Performance Developments about pistons. I like the JE as I said above for the money. There are others though and since you are doing a very stout engine you might want to talk around. I am sure Chris has the same info re pistons, no doubt he should be very involved in your piston slelection. Mike Lindsey has done some work with Wiseco also.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:23 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dand86951
Check with EBS racing re the 911s running JE pistons. I don't know of any new GT3s personally but there are lots of 911s of various years running with JE in Porsche cylinders. Keep in mind they would be running in a Nikasil bore not a Alusil bore. Talk to Neal at Performance Developments about pistons. I like the JE as I said above for the money. There are others though and since you are doing a very stout engine you might want to talk around. I am sure Chris has the same info re pistons, no doubt he should be very involved in your piston slelection. Mike Lindsey has done some work with Wiseco also.
Thanks for the response, but it didn't help. I'm not interested in more data on J&E, thanks. I know about them. And Wiesco with LR? Talked to them a while ago, plus, I know a lot about them for years. Very old news to me. You made a profound statement about much better pistons being out there than J&E, so, I am curious as to what brands they are? What series they are run in? Do you know of their web sites? Do you have names for me? I'm not being disrespectful my friend, I am dead serious and want to pick your brain, since you posted that comment.

So....?

Old 11-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

JE and Weisco are the top tier for custom, made to order pistons. Lots of others besides them, but you will loose some flexibility in ordering, poorer metalurgy, less after sale support. Garrity Repta speced Ross pistons for his builds which were used in the engine I bought. They are almost half the cost and it shows.

While I worked for The Racer's Group, I saw quite a few air-cooled 911's with aftermarket pistons (you could tell the difference when they start up. . .). All I witnessed used JE's in their builds as they market to Porsche enthusiasts (Excellence, Pano). They quieted out to varying degrees one up to temp.

Rolex, I am not trying to pick a fight with you, I am just offering my eval. for everyone as well as yourself. I dont think you will find a better forged unit than JE, but if you want to exhaust all the options, add Tom Challensworth's offerings to the mix and search is your friend.

And FYI, most Cup engines are sealed and generally thought not worth tearing into. If you run in a series (IMSA Cup, Grand Am Cup, ect.), you have to have a PMNA sealed motor or you wont pass scrut. If you have a broken/tired one, you send it down to Santa Ana and pay for a new motor. Oh, and dont EVER buy a used car from TRG as I guaranty you will regret it.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:19 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Matt Sheppard
JE and Weisco are the top tier for custom, made to order pistons. Lots of others besides them, but you will loose some flexibility in ordering, poorer metalurgy, less after sale support. Garrity Repta speced Ross pistons for his builds which were used in the engine I bought. They are almost half the cost and it shows.

While I worked for The Racer's Group, I saw quite a few air-cooled 911's with aftermarket pistons (you could tell the difference when they start up. . .). All I witnessed used JE's in their builds as they market to Porsche enthusiasts (Excellence, Pano). They quieted out to varying degrees one up to temp.

Rolex, I am not trying to pick a fight with you, I am just offering my eval. for everyone as well as yourself. I dont think you will find a better forged unit than JE, but if you want to exhaust all the options, add Tom Challensworth's offerings to the mix and search is your friend.

And FYI, most Cup engines are sealed and generally thought not worth tearing into. If you run in a series (IMSA Cup, Grand Am Cup, ect.), you have to have a PMNA sealed motor or you wont pass scrut. If you have a broken/tired one, you send it down to Santa Ana and pay for a new motor. Oh, and dont EVER buy a used car from TRG as I guaranty you will regret it.
Thanks for interjecting Matt and helping. I never, ever thought you were picking a fight at all my friend. Dand8695 said there were better ones than J&E, so, I honestly wanted to know which ones. It's that simple and direct of a question. But thank you very much for sharing your own personal experience. And I do highly value what TRG uses in their cars too, at least in the past not now? Wow. And I know of the sealed motors too, another reason why I asked. I've always liked J&E. Weisco, not keen on though. Anyway thanks pal, much appreciated.

Last edited by RolexNJ; 11-30-2006 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:44 AM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Thanks for the response, but it didn't help. I'm not interested in more data on J&E, thanks. I know about them. And Wiesco with LR? Talked to them a while ago, plus, I know a lot about them for years. Very old news to me. You made a profound statement about much better pistons being out there than J&E, so, I am curious as to what brands they are? What series they are run in? Do you know of their web sites? Do you have names for me? I'm not being disrespectful my friend, I am dead serious and want to pick your brain, since you posted that comment.

So....?

Did you talk to Neal at Perfiormance Developments? Do you think Arrow are better or worse? Rob you seem to have missed my point, I said I like and use JE but if you have the bucks and want something better, there probably are. Did you rule out Arrow as being inferior? If so for what reasons?

Good luck on your search.

Quick Reply: Need some "big bore" advice