Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Possible electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006 | 04:25 PM
ittia
Burning Brakes

Default Possible electrical problem

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my interior lights did not come on when I open the drivers door. Works fine from pass. side. I did a search for "interior lights" and found a couple of threads on the issue:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...nterior+lights
Now after reading these threads it appeared that I may just have a bad door relay BUT it was stated that the windows should not go up and down once the door has been opened. My windows work constantly and also my radio. Any thoughts???

Thanks and have a great week.
Old 11-26-2006 | 04:26 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

bad switch maybe?
Old 11-26-2006 | 05:00 PM
ittia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
bad switch maybe?
Hopefully just that for the int. lights issue but I think the rabbit hole goes deeper.
Old 11-26-2006 | 09:48 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ittia
Hopefully just that for the int. lights issue but I think the rabbit hole goes deeper.
The answer to your question lies in the threads that you searched for and posted . . . it sounds like the door contact switch. I noticed that a guy called MHT chimed in on each of the 3 threads and was right: the window relay will stay activated after you take the key out of the ignition until it sees a signal from the door contact switch, ie when you open the door. This allows you to roll up the windows after you take the key out and before you open the door, and the radio is on this circuit as well. I have seen this issue on many 944s and 964s, it will also cause the battery to go dead after a couple days since the relay constantly activated is about a 250 mA draw. Do yourself a favor and get new door switches, they aren't too expensive and will save your battery.

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA
Old 11-27-2006 | 03:06 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

I'm having the same problem.
Old 11-27-2006 | 04:58 AM
ittia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Droops83
The answer to your question lies in the threads that you searched for and posted . . . it sounds like the door contact switch. I noticed that a guy called MHT chimed in on each of the 3 threads and was right: the window relay will stay activated after you take the key out of the ignition until it sees a signal from the door contact switch, ie when you open the door. This allows you to roll up the windows after you take the key out and before you open the door, and the radio is on this circuit as well. I have seen this issue on many 944s and 964s, it will also cause the battery to go dead after a couple days since the relay constantly activated is about a 250 mA draw. Do yourself a favor and get new door switches, they aren't too expensive and will save your battery.

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA
I am going to get a new switch but the funny thing is that I can leave the car in the garage for a week and she fires right up. No dead battery and yes the windows & radio still run without the key. I will post results once the new switch is in.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 11-27-2006 | 05:05 AM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

I have had the same issue with 3 of 5 944/951's that I owned. I took the screw out that held the switch in, cleaned the electrodes, re-installed the switch, and it worked fine!
Old 11-27-2006 | 05:49 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SchnellerUmsetzer
I have had the same issue with 3 of 5 944/951's that I owned. I took the screw out that held the switch in, cleaned the electrodes, re-installed the switch, and it worked fine!

Thanks for the hint

Quick Reply: Possible electrical problem