Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cannonball Run - Anyone Sign Up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 06:59 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something tells me he was averaging 160 mph...DUDE....GAWDAMN!

btw what do you guys think of my "nose art"? Thinking of getting something like this painted on for the rally once I get the front end done. Lifted these from some WWII bomber noses... Close ups are to show in color what they'll look like. "Betty" the one bending over will have some kind of script name next to her. What do you think, tasteless or old school coolness (paint job will either be non gloss aluminum paint or flat black not the crappy kind).
Attached Images     

Last edited by guns951; 11-15-2006 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:57 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

He has on more than one occassion had the car maxed out at 208mph on the speedo, claiming a slight rattle between 205 and 206mph which goes away at 207mph!! We did suggest he take the car to OPC and get them to fix it
Old 11-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
On their website they say that the goals are to average 62 mph between destinations which can be accomplished by doing the speed limit. Doesn't mean you won't speed some but I don't know what the incentive would be to run at high speed for long distances.

When I saw them almost everyone was well over 90MPH, (we were at 75MPH) the ones that were being pulled over were going a lot faster then that...in a hard rain. The only exception was in the first picture of the yellow car, he slowed down in the rain (large back tires) but was up to pack speed in the dry. I was passed by a Pickup truck pulling a trailered car at somewhere in the 100MPH range...in the rain. I though that was way over the top.

There was a speed that the police were able to except, the trick would be find out what that was and stick to it. I am sure it would change State to State.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:26 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Guns, AKA Rally should be in mid July this year, probably just before this event.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:44 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmm....the way it reads on the website it's not the first car to come in that wins. It's the car that averages the closest to 62 mph. I know I definately won't be doing 1 hour long runs at 180 mph.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:50 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nick_968
Thought you guys might like to read this extract from one of our UK discussion boards. The guy in question Rob aka Lonman is very well known on the rally scene and his car badged with the numberplate 1CPU is banned from several European countries as well as the Nurburgring track in Germany. His GT2 996 had the Union Jack painted on the roof and also an extra fuel tank to enable him to last the distance at ultra high speed. When the car came up for sale there followed a long discussion about how it wasnt worth the money etc as it had been thrashed across most of the globe, however the car was sold and appears to be perfectly ok. When someone asked how he got away with doing 200mph across Europe, Africa and the US this was his reply.....

I don't. Invariably, I go to jail in most places and countries. 6 States and 11 countries and counting!!

Gumball report was as follows:

“The final leg to Miami was long and fast. I-95 was the only way to go and
the Florida troopers knew it. Armed with what appeared to be the entire
force including two planes and a helicopter many of the Gumballers fell
victim to their mobilization effort. Chasing a Porsche GT2 with a Union Jack
on its roof proved a little too much even for them however. Congratulating
the driver over the police radio, which they were sure the Porsche was
monitoring, (he was!) that he was going so fast, that they were
diverting their officers attention to “easier targets”. Unsurprisingly “Rob”
was first across the finish at the Mandarin Oriental and celebrated with his
signature donuts leaving the bellman and cameramen gasping for air like
beached fish.”

Local press:

“A spokesman for the FHP commented, “We were aware that the Gumball 3000 was due to be coming through Florida, but did not have all the details. The first car to enter into Florida was a Silver Porsche GT2 with a British flag on the roof, and I can tell you now, this guy really was hauling ***. When your helicopters are out run, and your planes can’t keep up, you have to close down the Interstate. We took the decision to do this in the interest of public safety. My buddy reckoned he covered the first 180 miles to Jacksonville in little over an hour. He picked him up as the I-95 hit Florida, by the next time Porsche was sighted he was going past mile marker 125, that was an hour later and over 180 miles away. Do the Math, this guy weren’t stopping for anyone. We caught up with him at the finish line and spoke to him, I can’t comment at this time. He was followed by 180 other high performance cars all exceeding the speed limit by a long way, but not so severely. I hear the guy in the Porsche won the rally….we need faster planes”

Miami Gazette.
that ****ing awesome man. PLease post a link to that site
Old 11-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wink

If the car was getting say around 5 miles per gallon (doing 180MPH), he would need 36 gallons of gas to run for one hour. Interesting story.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:41 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Hence the extra fuel tank and I think 5mpg is a bit low.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do the math, Gas engine BSFC=0.5 lb/(HP hr) , Car has 400-500 Crank HP, fuel is 5.7lb/gallon.

400HP= 35 gallons/hr
500HP= 43 gallons/hr

And that is for a one hour run. And were would one put an another 20 gallon gas tank in a Porsche?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:55 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

The tank went behind the seats I think it was the same again. Thats a bit of a simplistic mpg calculation there are many things that will effect it such as wind direction, hills, aerodynamics etc. How fast do you think you have to go for police helicopters to abandon the chase and go for lesser targets who dont have the range or speed and cant sustain that kind of extended abuse.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:52 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default I'm In....

Well, I just cracked and bought a car for this event. So I need to sign up and get going over here. The car isn't in that bad of shape, and after my shop installs the twin-turbo setup, it should have some grunt. I'm ready to take a shot at the title!!

Old 11-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Guns951
Race Car

hey mike, let me know the dates when they roll up, might be able to squeeze that one in.

Don't tease me like that Rolie...tell me you're serious!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:16 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by guns951
Don't tease me like that Rolie...tell me you're serious!
Sucker ---> Guns Baby

P.S. Check for that package!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Guns951
Race Car

THAT IS NOT FUNNY. I'M GOING TO GO CRY NOW. (on the phone currently if he'll ever answer).
Old 11-16-2006, 10:25 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by guns951
THAT IS NOT FUNNY. I'M GOING TO GO CRY NOW. (on the phone currently if he'll ever answer).
Call him!

Quick Reply: Cannonball Run - Anyone Sign Up?