Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Knock counting, What's good

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 05:24 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just tried the reset to the stub where terminal 4 would be, no reset. You might want to order the one with the reset feature. The counter is quick, just touching the terminal gave me three counts from the bounce.

Lou
Old 03-31-2007, 02:04 AM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

I installed the counter today. Instead of wiring into the KLR connector I tied into the diagnostics plug behind the glove box. According to my wiring diagrams from '88 pin 15 from the KLR goes to pin 4 of the diagnostics plug. I picked up power from it too.
Attached Images          
Old 03-31-2007, 02:08 AM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

I made a couple of runs to 6K+ in second and third, no knocks detected, time for the hammer approach to testing it.

Lou
Old 03-31-2007, 04:31 AM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

The application engineer at Curtis never did get back to me this week & I quite frankly spaced it. I'll call the supplier on Monday to see about the resetable units.

BTW- nice writteup Lou
Old 03-31-2007, 04:39 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice install!

Rogue
Old 03-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rogue,

Have you been able to log any knock events on pin #15 through your piggyback? You posted a datalog earlier with no knock indications, but was wondering if that has changed?

Does anyone know of any Curtis distributors that sell the resettable 703 counter?

This is such a great thread
Old 03-31-2007, 02:40 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

I am considering moving the display inside the glove box and maybe adding the blink code LED. It looks like everything you need is at the diagnostic plug behind the glove box. Maybe add a small panel with the LED and get the resettable counter and mount the reset button and LED on it next to the display.

I am going to Spokane Tuesday, maybe I can find a place to pull 4th gear?

Lou
Old 03-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Pauerman
Rogue,

Have you been able to log any knock events on pin #15 through your piggyback? You posted a datalog earlier with no knock indications, but was wondering if that has changed?
I wasn't getting any knock indications before. I bought a Curtis counter to verify, and sure enough I was getting knock. So I made a (very easy) change to my Piggyback, and now it reads knock correctly!
I just got my laptop back from repair yesterday, so I will post a datalog soon showing knock counts (hopefully not too many ).

Rogue
Old 04-01-2007, 01:56 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
I wasn't getting any knock indications before. I bought a Curtis counter to verify, and sure enough I was getting knock. So I made a (very easy) change to my Piggyback, and now it reads knock correctly!
I just got my laptop back from repair yesterday, so I will post a datalog soon showing knock counts (hopefully not too many ).

Rogue
Did you log it as a frequency or just as a 0-5v input?

I thought I read that pin #15 has a 5V output - is this correct?
Old 04-01-2007, 02:21 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Pauerman
Did you log it as a frequency or just as a 0-5v input?

I thought I read that pin #15 has a 5V output - is this correct?

I log it using the normal frequency-input configured to simply count transitions at roughly .8v

You definitely need something faster then a simple voltage log. Most frequency inputs should suffice, assuming you can configure the software.

I believe you are correct that it is a short 5v spike.

Rogue
Old 04-01-2007, 04:57 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I am sorry to bring this down to the level of cave of the idiots, but alas that's where I live so could someone explain a few things re this thread? Firstly I thought pinging was a precusor to knock but you guys are saying that you aren't getting any aural signals if I'm not mistaken? My understanding was that pinging was the sound of pre-ignition taking place due to say low oct fuel or too advanced timing or boost spikes (or a combination of these things). By what you guys are saying it sounds like I have misunderstood a few things. I thought knock took place just before your engine blew. I may as well ask, what is knock then?
Old 04-01-2007, 05:02 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

A pretty good article here:

Detonation/Pre-ignition

Rogue
Old 04-01-2007, 05:08 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks Rogue, I'll check it out.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:25 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Well there's some interesting facts in that article and certainly clears up a few old preconceptions that I had incorrect. My next question is would one of these units be usable with our cars? Would they override our pre-existing knock control? Also while I'm at it, once on the track I had a problem with my wastegate and couldn't hear all the knocking / pinging with the helmet on, but I was reaching over 2 bar or 30psi for a few laps. Why didn't the cars knock sensor just retard my ignition? I thought we were meant to have a built in fail safe? If we can get some aftermarket box like the one in the article why wouldnn't we all be installing one just in case?
Old 04-01-2007, 05:37 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Well there's some interesting facts in that article and certainly clears up a few old preconceptions that I had incorrect. My next question is would one of these units be usable with our cars? Would they override our pre-existing knock control? Also while I'm at it, once on the track I had a problem with my wastegate and couldn't hear all the knocking / pinging with the helmet on, but I was reaching over 2 bar or 30psi for a few laps. Why didn't the cars knock sensor just retard my ignition? I thought we were meant to have a built in fail safe? If we can get some aftermarket box like the one in the article why wouldnn't we all be installing one just in case?
Your KLR did pull ignition timing, but probably wasn't able to pull enough timing to stop the knock because your boost was simply too high.

You can use the J&S Safeguard in the 951, in fact that is the system that the plug-n-play Wold 3D system uses! I currently have a J&S Safeguard that I'm planning on installing (one thing at a time though).

Rogue

Quick Reply: Knock counting, What's good