Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Shop couldnt align my car. Anyone ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:09 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop couldnt align my car. Anyone ???

I take my car to a major shop in Greenville, NC to have new tires and an alignment. They tell me their equipment wont fit my stock 16 in phonedials.
They called their other locations and no one had the proper adapters.
Something about not having enough 'lip' to mount to.

Has anyone had this problem ???
Anyone know a shop in Greenville, NC that has the equipment?
This is a new on on me
Thanks
Old 11-07-2006, 06:13 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Its a shame you can't bring it to KC. One of our club members is a lead tech at the local BMW dealership and does all of our alignment/tire mounting work. They have the absolute top of the line equipment and do a fantastic job. With some of the experiences I have had previously trying to get Porsches aligned (and in reality, these are fairly easy cars to do but it seems like no one wants to do them properly), its worth a drive to get it done right.

Regards,
Old 11-07-2006, 06:19 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my car to a shop in phoenix who said they could align it....they couldnt. I took it to a Porsche shop in Michigan and it took 5 hours but they got it right in spec. they charge by the hour so it was about $500.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:22 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, most places either do it wrong or break something trying to do it. Unlike a lot of cars, you can align Porsche suspensions better with the adjustments inherent in the design. It is hard to find a good alignment these days.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:31 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

heh,heh
I guess I'll do it like everything else. Buy the tools and gages and do it myself
My front tires had about 36 k miles and were heavily worn on the inside edges
but the car handles fine, rear tire wear is normal. So I wanted a good alignment
just to be sure.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Z-man
Race Director

A Porsche-specific independant shop is your best bet to get an alignment machine and adpaters that will quickly work with your car. Check with your PCA region for a list of such mechanics.

-Z-man.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:47 PM
LFA951
Drifting

I just had mine aligned Monday, $49.99 at World Tires, car feels great!!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I took my car to a shop in phoenix who said they could align it....they couldnt. I took it to a Porsche shop in Michigan and it took 5 hours but they got it right in spec. they charge by the hour so it was about $500.
No flame intended but if trully took them five hour to do a street alignment on a 944, they just have no business working on Porsches.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:43 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Mine took the guy about 30 minutes all four with that laser apparatus that they put on the wheels...
Old 11-07-2006, 09:49 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i get mine at a place in town-Bear Alignment- and they have done three cars for me no problems usually an hour to an hour and a half.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:32 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Originally Posted by Antonio
No flame intended but if trully took them five hour to do a street alignment on a 944, they just have no business working on Porsches.
I know it sounds rediculous for 5 hours of labor...
I was there the whole time watching the guy doing it. They were very careful and got it all in spec even with my lowered suspension. The rear gave them some problems then the front gave them more problems. It had been WAY out.

They are the shop that does all the South Eastern Michigan PCA tech inspections and were voted the best shop in Michigan for customer service. Munk's Motors. They have all the special tools for Porsches and a bunch of 911s and 914s in the shop.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:34 AM
Kell
Instructor

Theres only one shop here in Winston that will do it that i know of. Im familiar with the Hunter machines that most places use still. The units that attatch to each wheel uses little "claws" that hook onto the lip of your wheel, between the tire and the wheel lip. On alot of Porsche wheels the lip is much smaller and recessed into the tire more making it difficult to impossible to attatch the alignment heads.

You need to find a shop with a newer alignment rack that uses the reflective laser deals, that is what the shop here in winston uses.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:34 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kell
Theres only one shop here in Winston that will do it that i know of. Im familiar with the Hunter machines that most places use still. The units that attatch to each wheel uses little "claws" that hook onto the lip of your wheel, between the tire and the wheel lip. On alot of Porsche wheels the lip is much smaller and recessed into the tire more making it difficult to impossible to attatch the alignment heads.

You need to find a shop with a newer alignment rack that uses the reflective laser deals, that is what the shop here in winston uses.
THANKS !!!
Thats the info I needed, I'll call around and tell them the problem and ask if they have newer equipment.
THANKS
Old 11-08-2006, 09:29 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

well, After talking to a couple shops One guy thinks he can do it.
Its not so much a problem with the wheels as it is the Fuzion Tires.
They have a HUGE rim protector that prevents the alignment gear
access to the rim lip.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:53 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

I am a lucky bastard.
I called a place "How much for an alignment?" "$45" "It's a Porsche 944 Turbo" "It's ok, $45"
Me: "Can I spec. the alignment?"
Them: "Sure, $45"
Me: "I'll be right there!"

They had my 951 on the rack for about 6 hours.
I was scared to pick it up LOL - thinking it was gonna be expensive for all the time.
I know it took that long because it was on the rack when I left, and on the rack when I got back.

Me: (slightly scared at this point) "How much is it?"
Them: "$45...blah blah nice car blah blah they had fun working on it blah blah"

Got a full print out on my custom alignment job at the local place for 45 bucks.
I wouldn't try it again though.... lol.

Quick Reply: Shop couldnt align my car. Anyone ???