so... clutch slave cylinder...dying at 61K

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default so... clutch slave cylinder...dying at 61K

when I did the belts, I locked the flywheel, and noticed some seepage from the clutch slave... took note, put it back together. yesterday, had a smell of burning brake fluid... Today, look under the car, and from that area, there is a drop on the concrete... I went through the same thing on the 924S, so I know that's what's going on. it still functions just fine, but I'm expecting it to go in the next couple of weeks...

The car has sat for most of it's life... could that be the cause of an early slave cylinder death? seals dry out, then get used, crack and start seeping?

I'm ordering a new slave now... but still, *sigh*
Old 11-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seal death is usually internal corrosion wearing the seal face. Internal corrosion is caused by moisture in the fluid. Moisture is absorbed over time, and flushing-replacing the fluid is the preventative measure. Might be a good time to power bleed the brakes.

BTW, corrosion can occur on the parts of the bore not ''polished'' by the normal travel of the seals. When bleeding, we often pump the piston way past the normal travel of operation, and can kill the seals. This is especially true of the master cylinder, where the travel is limited by the pads. LOL, hence the reccomendation to power bleed. YMMV
Old 11-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Daniel!

I always power-bleed... but we may not have gotten the clutch on this one... brake fluid is bled at least twice a year, or has been in the past for heavy track use...

Quick Reply: so... clutch slave cylinder...dying at 61K