Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Throttle Body overhaul...calling Bruce Arnn

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 10:42 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle Body overhaul...calling Bruce Arnn

I am trying to wrap up an overhaul of my throttle body with the Arnnworx kit and I ran into a few snags/concerns.

1. Per the Bruce's documentation, the image that show the relationship of the hardware on the cable end of the shaft there appears to be a washer in there. Is this right?

2. Where can I get my hands on that funky circlip that goes on the end with the TPS? I may need to take the new one of and try again, but they don't seem to be reusable. Would a normal circlip from Home Depot suffice?

3. The disk that blocks the airflow is a bitch to reseat....

4. The return spring must have gotten stretched out and will not make the throttle close. I am talking about the long one, not the one on the shaft. If I let is whip back from WOT, it will close competely, but any partial throttle will leave it open by a few degrees. Where could I get a new spring?

4b. I bet that is why my throttle was acting wierd.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:52 PM
chapstic951
Pro

5. Bruce, I ended up using all four of the washers on both sides of the throttle body.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:55 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chapstic951
4. The return spring must have gotten stretched out and will not make the throttle close. I am talking about the long one, not the one on the shaft. If I let is whip back from WOT, it will close competely, but any partial throttle will leave it open by a few degrees. Where could I get a new spring?
If you do not get the plate centered just right then you will have a problem with it not closing completely. Also, If you do not get the TPS connection adjusted just right then it will not close all the way. You will start it up and have a very fast idle. I'm speaking from experience.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:15 AM
chapstic951
Pro

To answer some of my own questions.

1. Yes there is. I didn't see it in the solvent I was using to clean up the parts.

2. I was acutally able to use the clip again. Good to go there

3. It fit with no problem when I put in the washer from #1

4. Still won't close fully. Now I am on the hunt for a new spring.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:36 AM
chapstic951
Pro

Well after looking at LR, Paragon, Pelicanparts, 944online, Autoatlanta, PET and eBay, it appears I am going aftermarket.

I going to try some local parts shops to see if I can find something like this from Jegs. I will let you all know how it works out. I would imagine with a new return spring it would pop the throttle closed and end the fluttering idle and high rpms at idle.

Steve
Old 10-31-2006, 07:46 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you ever find anything?

Had to throw a generic autozone spring on my car at the track the other weekend. It works ok, but its not as stiff as the factory spring.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:53 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chapstic951
Well after looking at LR, Paragon, Pelicanparts, 944online, Autoatlanta, PET and eBay, it appears I am going aftermarket.

I going to try some local parts shops to see if I can find something like this from Jegs. I will let you all know how it works out. I would imagine with a new return spring it would pop the throttle closed and end the fluttering idle and high rpms at idle.

Steve
Try Imagine Auto. http://www.imagineauto.com/ 913-310-9927.

Karl (a.k.a. Porsche Doc) can source just about anykind of part.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:14 PM
chapstic951
Pro

I ended up finding a kit at Advanced Auto Parts that works well. It was a pack of 6 different springs for $12. One of them works a lot better, but still does not "snap" back as much as I would like, but it does now close.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:49 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Steve... I've been "out sick" for over a week. Email me if you need a circlip or anything else...Bruce
BruceArnn@ArnnWorx.com
Old 11-04-2006, 07:23 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

I just rebuilt the TB on my brother's TB - I had the same problem with the spring not pulling hard enough to hit the microswitch. I am going to put a slightly hotter spring on it and call it done - everthing else worked out great - got the kit from Paragon, probably the same kit that Bruce sells.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body overhaul...calling Bruce Arnn