944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 Winter Project - carnage photos inside - updated

Old 12-12-2006, 08:42 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i am in awe of this car- look at the size of those friggin wheels!
Old 12-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man you have had a wicked string of bad luck. Hope the New Year changes that you your karma balance out. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:13 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn... Talk about quick progress and a man on a mission. At this rate you'll have it back together before New Years.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:18 AM
Hoosier Daddy?
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, what's with the delrin bushings in the torque tube? I just had to swap mine about two weeks ago and didn't know I missed an opportunity for an upgrade. Oh, and you might consider knocking the corners down on the coupler so it doesn't ever catch on the access hole (that's what broke mine).
Old 12-13-2006, 05:04 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Mike, one thing i noticed is that the oil cooler seals are red, that's the old type.

Make sure when you reseal that, the new seals are green.

Have fun
Old 12-13-2006, 09:35 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Interesting thread with some informative pictures looks like you have lots to do. Nice to have Chris close by. Keep the pictures comming.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:47 AM
whakiewes
Pro

Not that it really matters now, but I am fairly sure your S03's are on backwards. The rotations is backwards, atleast from mine they are. I had a pair of Michelin Pilot Sports that were put on backwards and one of them cupped at about 90mph...was fairly scarry.

Nice progress though. I like the Kokeln rear, pretty rare piece. What rear coil overs are you running? Looks like you got the 951 down pat.

Wes
Old 12-13-2006, 12:20 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Make sure when you reseal that, the new seals are green.
Thanks! I've double checked, my new seals are green. One of the few things I have ordered (gaskets for the engine). Now if the oil cooler and OPVR I loaned to someone would be returned after a year + I'd be happy.

Originally Posted by Dave951
Damn... Talk about quick progress and a man on a mission. At this rate you'll have it back together before New Years.
Sadly, that whole money issue keeps me from getting it back together in a timely manner. I'm shooting for May '07.

Originally Posted by whakiewes
Not that it really matters now, but I am fairly sure your S03's are on backwards. The rotations is backwards, atleast from mine they are. I had a pair of Michelin Pilot Sports that were put on backwards and one of them cupped at about 90mph...was fairly scarry.

Nice progress though. I like the Kokeln rear, pretty rare piece. What rear coil overs are you running? Looks like you got the 951 down pat.
The S03's were on backwards. The car had been on jackstands since August and I just slapped them on to move them into the garage. Good eye though

Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy?
Mike, what's with the delrin bushings in the torque tube? I just had to swap mine about two weeks ago and didn't know I missed an opportunity for an upgrade. Oh, and you might consider knocking the corners down on the coupler so it doesn't ever catch on the access hole (that's what broke mine).
Couplers? Can you take a photo, I'm not sure I know what you're talking about. As for delrin, they make an upgraded bushing that fits in the bearing carrier made out of delrin. It's mentioned on clarks garage, a few times on this forum and in the 928 section.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:21 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
Man you have had a wicked string of bad luck. Hope the New Year changes that you your karma balance out. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Let's go get a beer together when I finally make it to a track day?

I'm sure some day I might laugh about all this later....
Old 12-13-2006, 01:16 PM
allergic2milk
Racer

Im happy to see that my garage is not the only one that is full to the max. It takes me about an hour just to move stuff so i can work on the car.
I enjoy looking at the pictures, hows the e30 project coming?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:41 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Originally Posted by MPD47
The S03's were on backwards. The car had been on jackstands since August and I just slapped them on to move them into the garage. Good eye though
Just wanted to make sure you weren't out slapping down 300+RWHP on backwards tires . How can you live with you car on stands since August...thats crazy man. I'd of atleast hooked it up to the back of one of the cars and had someone roll me around .

Wes
Old 12-13-2006, 01:43 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

I dont any e30's right now, and I have no desire to own another anytime soon.

I've got an e34 that had an M20 is getting an M30 swapped in with Megasquirt with provisions for a GT35R. I'm also working on an S38B36 turbo project that'll be under construction for the next couple years. The only e30 project I'm involved with right now is getting a chassis stripped for an RB26 out of a skyline GTR.

Wes, the tires will perform fine backwards, in the dry. In the wet, that's a different story. As for on jackstands.... I think I've driven the car 5 months in almost 3 years, so I'm kind of used to it now. Sadly, it's an entirely new car now, nothing hasnt been replaced. So it should be dead reliable this year.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by whakiewes
How can you live with you car on stands since August...thats crazy man. I'd of atleast hooked it up to the back of one of the cars and had someone roll me around .
My car has been on jackstands for 14 months

Mike, what's the plan for the engine? IIRC the only thing with problems was your transaxle?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:54 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Duke, just a refresh, figured while everything else was out it was a good idea. I'll be adding a 3" downpipe also while it's out. Decided not to go with headers or build the engine.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
Decided not to go with headers or build the engine.

Maybe you need to stop by and have a look at some 'stuff' in my shop.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 951 Winter Project - carnage photos inside - updated