Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo Cup snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 09:49 AM
jtorre4272
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Cup snorkel

I recently met someone at a local racetrack who showed me a "turbo cup" snorkel mass produced to fit a stock airbox in a 951. He seemed quite knowledgable and told me that the Turbo cup cars used the same item. It had a much larger diameter going into the fender well, yet no mods to the vehicle were required. I have a Broadfoot built engine with stock AFM. I have no intention of converting to a MAF as I am happy with the performance I have now.

Does anyone know who makes/made this part and if any are available now? This person told me of a company, but I have since forgotten. Since I am running higher than stock boost, I was told that it helps flow at the high end, where my engine tends to struggle. Seems like a relatively inexpensive mod.

thanks.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:04 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

the snorkel going into the air box on my 87 Turbo Cup car is identical to the snorkel on my 86 944 Turbo
Old 10-31-2006, 06:07 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jtorre4272
I recently met someone at a local racetrack who showed me a "turbo cup" snorkel mass produced to fit a stock airbox in a 951. He seemed quite knowledgable and told me that the Turbo cup cars used the same item. It had a much larger diameter going into the fender well, yet no mods to the vehicle were required. I have a Broadfoot built engine with stock AFM. I have no intention of converting to a MAF as I am happy with the performance I have now.

Does anyone know who makes/made this part and if any are available now? This person told me of a company, but I have since forgotten. Since I am running higher than stock boost, I was told that it helps flow at the high end, where my engine tends to struggle. Seems like a relatively inexpensive mod.

thanks.
MAF could release extra hp's, the stock AFM is very restrictive. What's the power output of the BF engine?
Old 10-31-2006, 06:29 PM
future
Banned

Sounds like a ram air design would be the way forward via a duck in either the front of the PU or out of the bonnet - This would be simple to make.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:00 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by future
Sounds like a ram air design would be the way forward via a duck in either the front of the PU or out of the bonnet - This would be simple to make.
I don't think you would gain much from such mod, since you will stil have the AFM inlet.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:59 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jtorre4272
I recently met someone at a local racetrack who showed me a "turbo cup" snorkel mass produced to fit a stock airbox in a 951. He seemed quite knowledgable and told me that the Turbo cup cars used the same item. It had a much larger diameter going into the fender well, yet no mods to the vehicle were required.

Like TurboCup87 said, the real "Cups" used the stock intake snorkel, airbox, air filter, AFM, intake boot, and throttle body. Only difference in the entire intake system was the intake manifold casting was a magnesium alloy instead of alum. The local racetrack guy is apparently not as knowledgeable as he claims.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:45 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The local racetrack guy is apparently not as knowledgeable as he claims.
Muahahah.. BURN.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:37 AM
future
Banned

Lart - yes your right the gains would be minimal if still used with the stock AFM but it would still look tasty.

Quick Reply: Turbo Cup snorkel