Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive
View Poll Results: Have you used Seafoam and did it work?
Yes I've used it. Worked great. Would do it again.
37.50%
Yes I've used it. Never again. Created more problems than it solved.
8.33%
Never used it and would not recommend it.
10.42%
Haven't yet but may in the future.
43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

The Seafoam Poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:37 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still on the fence about using this and a solid write-up is needed.
If you search there are plenty of posts on this subject but no one has said.
Ok here is the seafoam write-up with pictures and part numbers...etc.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:27 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

I can throw together a quick writeup on how to do it.
Once I figured out how to get the idle screw out (mine had tape around it instead of an o-ring...go figure) it couldn't have been easier. If you have lindsey racing's vacuum hose it's a piece of cake as the hose is the exact same size as the idle screw adjustment hole. If you don't have that, find a similar piece of hose to use.
Here are the 4 basic steps:

1. Remove idle adjustment screw. You will most likely have to pull on to get it out once it is unscrewed from the threads since the o-ring (or tape) will keep it in place. I used a small set of pliers to pull it out.

2. Insert one end of the hose into the screw hole, the other into the can of seafoam. Keep the revs up as the seafoam is sucked in. I let it suck in seafoam until the engine started to get bogged down then waited for the engine to rev back up before sucking in more. You will probably see a decent amount of smoke come out in this step. Feel free to check for exhaust leaks while it smokes.

3. Shut off car and wait 10 min. You can put the idle screw back in and clean up your ugly engine bay for a bit.

4. Start the car and watch the smokescreen start. I got one or two nice cloud out the back when I reved it a couple times, then not much else.

The idle adjustment hole is a great place to ingest it since you cover all cylinders and it's REALLY EASY to get at. The whole process took 30-45 min.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:00 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

All I can add to this thread is drain your oil any time you use a product like this either by vac drip, fuel tank, or crankcase. Dilution of your oil. Sometimes this stuff can effect your O2 sensor and coat the cat with something like a varnish that has to be burnt off by high temps. It's a decent product but be sure you know what you are doing.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:10 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by czar
A certified Bentley mechanic recommended it to me a few weeks ago. .

Don't you mean a certified VW mechanic......... whoops its the same thing!
Old 10-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a possibility it might do bad things to O2 sensors or catalytic converters.
In the case of my car, burning 15-25L of oil per week was enough to ensure that both of those emissions control devices were inoperative, and were not at risk of being damaged further.
So, if you are thinking of changing the O2 sensor, run the seafoam through before rather than after.
I'd imagine that the cat would recover over time, especially with a proper O2 sensor.
I suppose worst-case you could replace the O2 sensor with a bolt while you feed the seafoam in and after restarting until the smoke clears.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:11 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skene
I can throw together a quick writeup on how to do it.
Once I figured out how to get the idle screw out (mine had tape around it instead of an o-ring...go figure) it couldn't have been easier. If you have lindsey racing's vacuum hose it's a piece of cake as the hose is the exact same size as the idle screw adjustment hole. If you don't have that, find a similar piece of hose to use.
Here are the 4 basic steps:

1. Remove idle adjustment screw. You will most likely have to pull on to get it out once it is unscrewed from the threads since the o-ring (or tape) will keep it in place. I used a small set of pliers to pull it out.

2. Insert one end of the hose into the screw hole, the other into the can of seafoam. Keep the revs up as the seafoam is sucked in. I let it suck in seafoam until the engine started to get bogged down then waited for the engine to rev back up before sucking in more. You will probably see a decent amount of smoke come out in this step. Feel free to check for exhaust leaks while it smokes.

3. Shut off car and wait 10 min. You can put the idle screw back in and clean up your ugly engine bay for a bit.

4. Start the car and watch the smokescreen start. I got one or two nice cloud out the back when I reved it a couple times, then not much else.

The idle adjustment hole is a great place to ingest it since you cover all cylinders and it's REALLY EASY to get at. The whole process took 30-45 min.
Andrew - Was this on your 951 and did you have any O2 sensor issues after you did this?
Old 10-24-2006, 11:28 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Yeah, it was. I barely failed emissions prior to this so I was planning on swapping the o2 sensor after anyways. I have been getting slightly worse mileage, but I've been doing more stop and go driving and less highway miles lately. I don't think it made the sensor any worse then it was.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Used it on two non Porsches. All ive gotta say is its probably a good idea not to do it in your own driveway/neighborhood because it WILL smoke the hell out of the place and the smoke isnt pleasant smelling. Did it in a buddies driveway and mine and both times the smoke rivalled that of a big house fire. Totally smoked out his entire Cul De Sac
did the same thing with the 924S... smoked the hell outa the cul de sac... neighbors came running with fire extinguishers.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:21 AM
littlejt1
Racer

This stuff works incredibly well on carb engines. Have put it in both my Avanti's, as well as my boat motor...boat had sad for over a year, and this stuff clear out all the gunk. I'm a firm beliver in it, but it does smoke like crazy when used.

Haven't used it in the 951 yet, but it's about to go in for paint, so I haven't been tinkering with the engine or driving much.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:14 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

what about the stuff from BG?? ive heard its even better than seafoam
Old 10-25-2006, 06:19 PM
got951?
2nd Gear

I just did 1/3 in the idle hole, 1/3 in the tank, and 1/3 in the oil last night. Did an oil change after running it thru the idle hole too. Didn't get much smoke but I swear the car runs smoother now. I'd rate this as something I would do again. It seems like you will either see no change or an improvement. Well worth the $8.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No smoke even with the 10 minute shut down?... How slowly did you feed it in the idle screw (how long did it take to suck 1/3 of the bottle)?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:22 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i used it- once w/o a cat and once w/ a cat.

w/o a cat, it didnt smoke too much. sure it smoked a good bit, but i wasnt impressed too greatly.

i fed it through the vac hose from the BOV.

did it with a cat installed and holy crap did it ever smoke.

this time i followed the directions more carefully, but still- goddamn.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:33 AM
czar
Instructor

I did a second treatment last night as I recently purchased the car nd it had been sitting, so I wanted to do a second oil change ≤500 miles. I figured I would dumo some seafoam in the crankcase, so I ran it through the booster line again, waited 15 minutes, fired it up, shut it down, out it in the crankcase, ran it at idle for about 15 seconds, and then shut it down.

Results through the booster line - a lot more smoke this time. I put about 1/2 the can in and fed it in a little faster to stall it out this time. When I started it up, I got a lot of black smoke, certainly not a smoke screen, but it was coming out especially when I got on the gas.

Results from the crankcase - I checked my oil before, and it lookd like fresh oil. 15 second of running at idle with Seafoam, and it came out BLACK and dark. It looked like it hadn't been changed in a long time. It was also very thick. I was really surprised. There was also more debris attached to magnetic part of the drain okug as compared to the last time I changed my oil. Not a lot, but more.

Completed the oil change, and I'll be checking my oil frequently over the next few weeks and will probably do another change soon.

Overall, the car is idling much better. Smoother starts and the idle is less erratic, but I can't say that it's a direct result - that may just be a side effect of it being used more as a DD.

Quick Reply: The Seafoam Poll