Front end repaint question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 11:34 AM
jhenkel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front end repaint question

Hi all,

I have a 1988 951 that I just picked up a few months ago. It is in fantastic shape and totally stock but there are tons of paint chips on the front end of the car. I also have one small dent, about the size of a pencil eraser on one of the front fenders.

I'd like to get the dent fixed and the front repainted so I'm wondering about how much I should expect to pay for this? Should I let the dealer do it (Stoddard Porsche in Willoughby, Ohio) or can any body shop work on a Porsche properly?

Thanks for the advice.

Regards,

Jeff.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:44 PM
JE_951
Pro

The porsche dealership would replace it with a new painted or would just send it off to a local body shop. ask around on here or go to a body shop and ask which shops in the area do high end european and or porsche body shops.

If the dent is only the size of a eraser w/o any chipping in the paint then it can be pounded out easily w/o repainting. should only cost about $40-$60 depending on who you find to do it. (not a body shop) a dent "wizard".
Old 10-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

I would reccomend checking several local bodyshops and compare estimates. Some may price it high to avoid working on a porsche. If were writing the estimate I would figure to r&r(1.5hrs) the bumper cover, strip it(4hrs), prolly an hour for the dent if it is as small as you say, strip the hood if it is chipped(2hrs to strip,2.5hrs refin) and blend the color on the fenders(3hrs). If the fenders are chipped in front prolly a couple hours for that . Our rates here are 39/hr rpr/refin and 28/hr materials.
6.5 hrs repair = $253.50
9.5 hrs refin = $370.50
9.5 hrs mat = $266.00
Total = $890.00
This is just off the top of my head, I didn't run it through my estimating system but should be pretty close except for local labor rates. Also when I strip a urethane bumper I charge it out as refin to cover the cost of urethane stripper. Oh yeah I forgot the headlight covers and nose but you get the idea. I gotta get back to work.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:46 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ive seen them charge as much as 3-4k to respray a dog house before-front clip of the car- which is just crazy. Ive never heard of a dealership replacing parts w/ pre-painted parts. Every porsche dealership ive been to sends you to the body shop they deal with most.

Quick Reply: Front end repaint question