Need a clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 08:03 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a clutch

Hi,

I need a clutch. The car is running a tad over 400 wheel hp. I would like to use the flywheel that I have, but Lindsey states that I need to go with their Alum PP, and associated parts for a tidy sum of $1600+ for the kit. Hey, I just want to be able to hold the TQ and do some track time. I do like to occasionally hold the revs at 4K and slip the clutch in first when doing silly stuff on the street.

Any recommendations?

George
Old 10-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

George, what flywheel do you have currently? I recently installed a Kennedy Engineering Pressure Plate (KEP) stage 1 and a full-faced Feramic disc on a CUP disc hub + a 10lbs lightened OE steel flywheel. The KEP is good for 530ft/lbs to 600ft/lbs of torque with a stock organic disc so add a metallic disc and you have more holding capacity as well.
The SPEC clutches do not offer very good modulation so they are hard to finesse especially when equipped with a metallic disc which leads to chatter. When I talked to Dave at Kennedy he said stay away from Aluminum flywheels and stick to steel. They have have numerous problems with warapage with the Al flywheels. T-6 Aluminum is going to move around like crazy under heat and it has to be 4 times as thick to be just as strong as Steel! My Fidanza gave me grief with warpage, but others have and still do run them with no problems.
http://www.kennedyeng.com/

The combo I just installed has a very positive engagement and only chattered a small amount the first few miles till I got used to how the clutch engaged.
I have done this 3 times now so please stay away from anything Kevlar! And get a pressure plate that is up the task. The KEP is aluminum as well and the stage I tests at 530 ft lb which is a 40% increase while the Stage II tests at 600 ft lb, a 61% increase.

Several users in the 400hp+ club have had success with a 6-puck bronze ceramic disc from the likes of Patrick Motorsports (where I ordered my KEP) and Clutchnet.com.
I got my Feramic disc made by South Bend Clutch Company.

All together because I spent $982.50 for my clutch components. I even had to get a 951 bellhousing, clutch fork plus 240mm flywheel and 951 TOB. Granted I got some sweet deals from ebay for the aforementioned parts, but even if you had to get all new you would be in for $585 for the KEP from Patrick Motorsports, $259 for the 6-puck ceramic bronze from Clucthnet *OR* contact Racer's Edge they have some copper ceramic race discs made up by ACT for less $$.
If you want re-use your original clutch disc hub (make sure it is the sprung hub) and send it to South Bend Clutch and they will rivet on the Feramic facings for about $145. Talk to Andy. The Feramic can really take the heat!! It has the highest heat resistance of any other clutch material made today with a coefficient of 0.7. This coefficient also doesn't change with temperature as many clutches do until after 900 degrees. It has a melting point of 1600 degrees.
http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/
Attached Images    
Old 10-19-2006, 01:38 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Charlie,

Great information. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. This makes my membership worthwhile.

Anytime you are here in Tucson, AZ look me up. I owe you.

George
Old 10-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KEP and a 930 disc will hold that power also but if you're going to track it, like Charlie mentioned, bronze may be the way to go. We have a bronze four puck disc on our car, with a Cup Car PP, the car is putting down just a touch over 350 and we're still at 17 psi.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

George, you are most welcome and thank you for the offer! I know my frusteration level during my three clutch jobs this year was especially tormententing and I researched and researched some more, talked with guys in the business, and of course asked for help here. Originally, I was looking to save some $$ and still get a clutch I thought could hold. Unfortunately in my unique case I still had the 225mm NA clutch assembly and I was trying to avoid a costly change over to 240mm clutch parts (bellhousing, TOB, pressure plate, and disc) so I stuck with 225mm size and went with a modified SACHS PP, Fidfanza, and a Kevlar disc. I probably did not have the miles on it to season the Kevlar and after my 1st DE it was toast. Hell after the 3rd lap it was toast!

I then opted for a more aggressive disc (Feramic) which I spent $375 for and it handled great when the clutch was cold, as soon as the heat started to build like in stop and go traffic (traffic jam) it slipped like butter! Which turned out to be the Aluminum flyhweel warping. It was just a huge heat sink! And this was while at the 944-FEST in Ohio. Made it back home okay though.

I then said screw it I am going with what I originally wanted which was the 240mm KEP and related components and thanks to some awesome ebay deals from LART and another guy I have a clutch that will hold more than what I can give it now.

What flywheel are you currently running?

Quick Reply: Need a clutch