Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bosch 044 noise Survey...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 09:41 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the best of my knowledge, LR "thought" they had fixed the noise coming from the rail. I however still suspect it is an issue. Ask Ski about the fix, he knows how to do it I believe. I saw his post too and saw that the pics were messed up. I am going to be getting another LR Billet Rail so I need this issue fixed, if it still there. The problem I had with the LR Rail was it would make a bit of a ticking noise (never went away. The unit I had was from late 2003, after they fixed the issue). This problem was present "before" I had ST install the #044 pump. And as I said, when we did install the pump it made a slight "tapping/clunking" noise coming from the back passenger side. If Im not mistaken, thats where the pump goes, right? So to me, these are unrelated issues. But that noise coming from the #044 pump is annoying as hell. Some people discribe it as a hum, whine, etc. Mine was a tapping/clunk sound. Sounded like crap.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
To the best of my knowledge, LR "thought" they had fixed the noise coming from the rail. I however still suspect it is an issue. Ask Ski about the fix, he knows how to do it I believe. I saw his post too and saw that the pics were messed up. I am going to be getting another LR Billet Rail so I need this issue fixed, if it still there. The problem I had with the LR Rail was it would make a bit of a ticking noise (never went away. The unit I had was from late 2003, after they fixed the issue). This problem was present "before" I had ST install the #044 pump. And as I said, when we did install the pump it made a slight "tapping/clunking" noise coming from the back passenger side. If Im not mistaken, thats where the pump goes, right? So to me, these are unrelated issues. But that noise coming from the #044 pump is annoying as hell. Some people discribe it as a hum, whine, etc. Mine was a tapping/clunk sound. Sounded like crap.
If I get down near the fuel pump, I can hear it whir -- it is indeed a bit louder than the stock hum, but that cannot be heard in the cabin (for me anyway) and is much different than the knocking/tapping issue. I've put my hand on the pump when running, while the tapping is happening, and it is just humming along smoothly. In the engine bay, I can feel the hammering action in the fpr and damper. I suspect that your old issue, my issue, and all the LR fuel rail noise issues, are the same -- all caused by the injector pulses. The hard lines carry the noise under the car like two cans and a string. Just my theory for now anyway...
Old 10-18-2006, 12:02 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Tom, if I get a chance this weekend to run the engine dyno. I will record the sound of stock pump & the 044 pump under running conditions. I doubt it'll be a tapping sound!
Old 10-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast951
Tom, if I get a chance this weekend to run the engine dyno. I will record the sound of stock pump & the 044 pump under running conditions. I doubt it'll be a tapping sound!
Thanks, from what I can tell, the pump itself is not making the noise (it hums smoothly) but rather the resulting injector hammering noise being transmitted via the hard fuel lines. I'll have more time to look at it this weekend too...
Old 10-18-2006, 12:10 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by fast951
John, if you can do that, that would help all of us. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:31 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get a tapping with the stock pump but I have the lindsey fuel rail.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The Lindsey fuel rail usally taps.
The 044 whines pretty much, but when the car is running it's not that bad.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Tms951
Pro

I have the lindsey rail and it makes the described sound, I also have 72lb. injectors, and the HV pump lindsey sells.

It took al ong time to figure out what it was, it seems to be from the SS lines on the rail and FPR up front.

It is not on time with the injectors, it might be on time with the pump. This was the hardest part in figureing it out.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:10 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Thanks, from what I can tell, the pump itself is not making the noise (it hums smoothly) but rather the resulting injector hammering noise being transmitted via the hard fuel lines. I'll have more time to look at it this weekend too...
T: If you find out more too, let me know. As I said, for me it is more of a tappping noise. And as I stated above, the "clicking" noise if from the LR Fuel Rail, which I had from day #1. I also had the LR Rail before most people on here had it. Then after I had the #044 installed, that's when I heard that tapping. Two very different noises and isolated variables too.

Thanks pal

Old 10-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

I can't hear my fuel pump over my gearbox, differential, exhaust, and wastegate. So as long as one of those is functioning I can't hear the damn thing.

Moral of the story is that if you complain about fuel pump noise then I hope you have tidy slippers to drag your old feet around with. Ones that are tall enough to keep your ***** off the cold pavement.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:42 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Driftomagnifico

Moral of the story is that if you complain about fuel pump noise then I hope you have tidy slippers to drag your old feet around with. Ones that are tall enough to keep your ***** off the cold pavement.
Thanks for your insightful contribution to the author's posting.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Thanks for your insightful contribution to the author's posting.
NP.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:05 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't hear my fuel pump over my gearbox, differential, exhaust, and wastegate. So as long as one of those is functioning I can't hear the damn thing.

I thought it too.... but didnt say it.......
Old 10-19-2006, 01:16 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Moral of the story is that if you complain about fuel pump noise then I hope you have tidy slippers to drag your old feet around with.
Yes, got 'em. Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2006, 01:46 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

God-What an assinine statement

Quick Reply: Bosch 044 noise Survey...