how to take nose panel off

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 10:26 PM
zb32
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to take nose panel off

Hi, everybody

I wanted to change a hood crest on my 951, but I'm not sure how to take the nose panel off, since just unscrewing the screws on top is not enough.

Is there something that needs to be done from underneath the car? What other bolts and screws are there besides ones that are right on top?

thanks in advance
Old 10-13-2006, 10:31 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go to www.clarks-garage.com

click on "garage shop manual"

scroll down to "nose panel" and click

instructions w/ pictures
Old 10-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You dont need to take the nose panel off to change the crest. It just pulls off
Old 10-16-2006, 03:29 PM
zb32
Intermediate

Oh, that's a cool site, thanks, although it doesn't mention that nose panel has a couple more screws that attach it to the intercooler.

You dont need to take the nose panel off to change the crest. It just pulls off
Yeah, I realized that after I took it off and messed up the plastic things that hold it in place. Crap, I wish I'd check this thread one more time before messing with the car.
Well, the new badge comes with two sort of "nuts" that should still hold it fine.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:18 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For future reference...

When I removed my header pannel, There were the four screws along the top, four 8mm? nuts under the rubber gaskets the head lights rest on (remove those gaskets) and two 10mm nuts on either side of the outside under the lights again, and two Phillips screws on the insides screwing into the Intercooler...

YMMV
Old 10-16-2006, 04:52 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Close enough with pictures.(Some use speed nuts on the back instead of the push in plastic-pelican speed nut part number 999-591-423-03-M260)
http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...y_Code=INTSWAP
Old 10-17-2006, 08:57 PM
zb32
Intermediate

Crap, I just realized that pelican parts sent me the curved badge, they kept saying that now all badges are curved, even early style, which doesn't make sense since the studs on it don't fit the holes in the panel.
I can't even put my old one back now since it was bent while I was pulling it off, well, I wonder what more could I screw up in this trivial task, lol....
Old 10-18-2006, 11:55 AM
C. Beau
Banned

Every badge I've dealt with in the past 4 or so years (996, 951, 993, 964 part #s) is coupled w/ speed nuts that have a rubber coating on the mated surface so they don't fall into the hood recesses (911 models) prior to tightening.

I'm not looking at a 951 car now but I thought removal of the nose plate was necessary for at least re-install.....maybe not removal if you just want to butcher it.

If you bent the original crest getting it off---you didn't do something correctly.

If you have one w/ the wrong stud spacing and it is a little curved.....just break the studs off with pliers.....get some good weather-strip auto-grade double sided foam tape (like the 3M stuff w/ green release backing - strong as hell) and cover the whole back of the badge & trim w/ razor knife, put the gasket on it and measure for center and press it on...maybe hit it w/ a heat gun a little to seal it well.....it won't come off and the gasket & foam tape will make the curviness fit no problem

....then...thereafter you really will never have to take the nose plate off to change the badge, just heat it up a bit before pulling off so the adhesive doesn't pull on your paint too much
Old 10-18-2006, 05:03 PM
zb32
Intermediate

Well, I wasn't trying to be careful because I thought I'd just replace it, so it got bent.
I'll just look for a straight one, not too fond of an idea of taping the badge to the hood.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:53 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

You can put on a curved one no problem. Just slightly bend the studs.
Don't forget to put your gasket on before though.
The gasket is where the real challenge lies..along with not scratching your paint, or denting your header
Old 10-24-2006, 05:35 AM
zb32
Intermediate

Angry

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
You can put on a curved one no problem. Just slightly bend the studs.
Don't forget to put your gasket on before though.
The gasket is where the real challenge lies..along with not scratching your paint, or denting your header
But won't there be gaps on the sides since the upper portion and especially lower tip is sticking out?

I just got another badge, this time from automotion and it's exactly the same - curved.
So given that model/year of the car and part number are the same as for pelican parts I can now assume that Porsche does make badges that don't fit their cars and have to be bent to install? WTF??? That's a new one.
(Pelican parts representatives told me straight badges were discontinued, but I thought we were misunderstanding each other)

Or is there something I don't get here?
Old 10-24-2006, 03:13 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Alright I will take a picture of mine when I get home. There is no problem with the curved badge....at least I did not have a problem. I will take a couple of shots to show it level with the header....no I am not going to remove it
Old 10-24-2006, 03:15 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question: What is the cost of a brand new crest for a header panel. I have an A.I.R one and am going to get a brand new one to mount on it.

Thanks,

Old 10-24-2006, 05:58 PM
zb32
Intermediate

The cost? I got it for 30 bucks. Together with the seal and 2 speednuts.

I installed it, it's not that curved after all, but still I think it's whacked that parts being made are not perfect fit.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:54 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by zb32
The cost? I got it for 30 bucks. Together with the seal and 2 speednuts.

I installed it, it's not that curved after all, but still I think it's whacked that parts being made are not perfect fit.

Just make sure you bought the one that came from Porsche® because there are a couple of aftermarket manufacturers out of Taiwan that make excellent replicas...dare I say perfect....of which I have bought(tested in the hot Texas sun) and never had a problem with...also saved about 10 bucks

Quick Reply: how to take nose panel off