Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT: Drifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:58 AM
eospeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rberry951
Hmmm, I don't get that quote. It negates most of the Olympic Games, boxing, etc...
I would say any motorsport that requiers judging to pick the winner is a joke.Thats why I dont consider it a sport its more of an exibition of who is cooler.The most skilled dose not win the most liked dose.Thats not skill its a popularity contest.I dont want to take away from what the drivers do I know its not easy but with time an money anyone can do it well.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:00 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eospeed
I would say any motorsport that requiers judging to pick the winner is a joke.Thats why I dont consider it a sport its more of an exibition of who is cooler.The most skilled dose not win the most liked dose.Thats not skill its a popularity contest.I dont want to take away from what the drivers do I know its not easy but with time an money anyone can do it well.
I have to disagree, the most skilled still puts on the best show so they win. Just because judges are involved doesn't mean that its a popularity contest.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:01 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I really don't like judged competitions. Too much room for interpretation.

Drifting is not gay. Hey gay people are better then drifters. 95% of the drifter crowd are punks you would not want your kids hanging out with. My wife and I have gay friends and would trust them with my daughter long before most drifters.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:23 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Drifting is gay period. Yes it's something fun to experience and do. However it's been my experience that a large majority of drifters are broke a$$ fools that don't give a damn about their cars, drive wreckless, and just overall don't have respect for anything. It's the road track equivalent of parking lot donuts. It doesn't accomplish anything. It's not a motorsport, it's a motor-showoff.

You can't be serious. Obviously you have not been around drifting, and experienced all it has to offer. You go up to an event, and go tell these teams including REDBULL, and talk to Rhys Millen and tell him he is "a broke *** fool"
Don't have a respect for anyhting??

If drifting were as bad as you say, then why is SCCA getting involved? If it's so reckless?
Old 10-10-2006, 03:57 PM
will69camaro
Track Day

I wont try to convince someone that drifting is gay or not or a sport or not. All i know is it's a blast and it takes skill. I know quite a few people that are skilled drivers that are moving towards drifting because it's what they want to do.

William
Old 10-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HIGHBOOST
You can't be serious. Obviously you have not been around drifting, and experienced all it has to offer. You go up to an event, and go tell these teams including REDBULL, and talk to Rhys Millen and tell him he is "a broke *** fool"
Don't have a respect for anyhting??

If drifting were as bad as you say, then why is SCCA getting involved? If it's so reckless?
Actually I have been around drifting alot. All of the other co-workers in my office, including my manager, are drifters. I'm speaking more of the average drifter and drift event. Rhys Millen is one of the few individuals in America associated with drifting that is truly a professional. Though, Formula D and the other professionally organized major series/events are generally quite a bit more professional than the average enthusiast organized events(I guess that's to be expected). My manager organizes his own small events, and so do some of his friends in state and out of state. A large majority of the local events I've been to are frequented by the same type of people that do parking lot burnouts/doughnuts and then curb check their car on the way out! In general, a large majority of the individuals I've met and seen at events tend to be teenagers and immature people that just drive wreckless. I have met some people in drifting that are genuinely intelligent and nice individuals. I just think drifting attracts alot of the "idiot" types, though not all drifters are idiots. Some of them are some genuinely cool and nice people, like my boss.

Don't get me wrong, drifting is fun as hell. It most definitely requires skill, and if you are a grip driver it can be hard to get used to because of your natural tendencies. Still, it's not for me. I probably will take my cars to a couple of drift events for the hell of it, and to learn to control slides better. However, I prefer grip driving. Nothing gets my heart rate going like doing 150mph down a back straight, braking at the limit then doing it all over again. It's all just a matter of preference really. I just happen to not like alot of the attitudes drifters tend to have and feel that people should act a little more mature and have a little more respect for other people or their stuff.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:49 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by will69camaro
I wont try to convince someone that drifting is gay or not or a sport or not. All i know is it's a blast and it takes skill. I know quite a few people that are skilled drivers that are moving towards drifting because it's what they want to do.
I think that is relative. It's relative to what you consider a skilled driver to be. That is usually age specific and the teenage crowd seems to be the drifting crowd. Sliding a car takes skill, no doubt. But driving a car fast requires that you also be able to slide it..and the two skillsets are not interchangable. In fact, I would bet that the average real racers drifting skills are a whole lot closer to those of a 'pro' drifter...than that same drifters racing skills are to those of the racer. In short, I can driver their exhibition better than they can drive my sport...because mine requires more skill while theirs. Just an opinion, but from the few drifting events I've seen....I think it holds water.

The SCCA would get into bathtub gravity racing if it brought money in...and if you had ever raced in the SCCA you would know that reckless is pretty much a given. Fun...sure, but don't take your porsche there unless it means very little to you. PCA is gentleman racing (most of the time) and SCCA is agression racing..both have their place of course.

Bill
Old 10-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Over Boost
Instructor

Originally Posted by billthe3
Ok, does anyone else watch the anime/cartoon show Initial D? I'm quite the avid fan of that so I see drifting in those terms - the very tight mountain roads, not at all the ***-out smoke show stuff that is d1.
me
Old 10-10-2006, 11:10 PM
will69camaro
Track Day

By skilled drivers i mean two people that are instructors for TWS motorsports and one actually finished first place in Chevy's "rev it up" challenge this past year and is awaiting the delivery of his free car for finishing above 5800 or so other entrants across the country. He ran within .1 seconds of a GM pro driver. I think that qualifies as decent at the very least.

William

Quick Reply: OT: Drifting