Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT: Drifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:58 AM
turbo8
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drifting became popular by a race car driver in japan that would drift around the tracks and win the races. i forget his name

there are judges, how fast you go and how good your slide is you have to get into the finals

were you race head to head, sorta

you have a leader and follower, the leader has to try to shake the follower, the follower has to get as close as possible to the leader with out hitting him. you try and scare the leader into messing up.
you need to be drifting around the corners!

the crowd is involved for who wins too
Old 10-08-2006, 03:30 AM
BigNNasty
Racer

I'll never forget a quote I read...

"Anything that involves judging, is not a sport."

Drifting is not a sport. A sport is something that has a score, on a board. Definitive points. I think thats right. But yea...synchronized swimming? Not a sport, no matter how much you think it is. Something with judges, involving opinion is only an activity. You can't deny a touchdown, you can deny Terrell Owens being the best player.

Drifting is OK. What IS awesome, is watching a STi drift/ do donuts. Also, 350Z's can drift damn good out of the "box".

Then the V6 mustang, lolz! No LSD, and he tryed it...bwahahaha!
Old 10-08-2006, 03:35 AM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

Originally Posted by chris951
Hey guys,
Some A-holes were talking about drifting FWD cars!
There have been FWD drift cars in d1 actually...

I follow drifting quite closely, as I believe it is a beautiful sport. These guys choose crazy slip angles, and d1 drivers are often doing drifts in excess of 120mph. Seeing a car fly by you sideways at a d1 event at Irwindale speedway is a site to be seen.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:39 AM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

The main ways you win a drift competition are:

Clipping points, slip angle, tire smoke, overall time(yes it is a times event), and entrance speed

I actually was expecting to see alot more bashing about the sport in this thread, those who have seen the pro's in real life all have a new found respect for drifting. I for one really want to see the sport take off. There are some big sponsers getting involved now like Redbull, Mopar etc.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:04 AM
BigNNasty
Racer

Even though it is timed, opinions and the use of judges are still involved, making it purely an activity. There is no exact score to win the event, it looks as if pro-drifting is 75-85% opinion based, and the only true scoring facts are time and speed.

Still pretty cool none the less. I like the wrecks. Hell, thats why so many people watch nascar...were all waiting for a 10 car pile up on turn 3! YEEEE-HAWWWW!
Old 10-08-2006, 04:14 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigNNasty
I'll never forget a quote I read...

"Anything that involves judging, is not a sport."
Hmmm, I don't get that quote. It negates most of the Olympic Games, boxing, etc...
Old 10-08-2006, 04:16 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rberry951
Hmmm, I don't get that quote. It negates most of the Olympic Games, boxing, etc...
As well as any sport that has refs deciding plays - aka: baseball, football, etc.

They're just all haters because they can't do it.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:49 AM
BigNNasty
Racer

True football and baseball and boxing do have refs, it is ONLY to keep the sport safe and regulate the rules. That is the ONLY purpose of a referee, to enforce rules when broken. (this was mentioned in the article on yahoo and sports and what isn't)

You can't deny a facemask, can you? Then again, baseball and football are won be a defining score or getting a runner to home, or throwing a TD pass. It'd be a whole different ball game (no pun) if baseball was judge on the height and arc of the ball, and football was based on who moved the best...
Old 10-08-2006, 05:08 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigNNasty
True football and baseball and boxing do have refs, it is ONLY to keep the sport safe and regulate the rules. That is the ONLY purpose of a referee, to enforce rules when broken. (this was mentioned in the article on yahoo and sports and what isn't)

You can't deny a facemask, can you? Then again, baseball and football are won be a defining score or getting a runner to home, or throwing a TD pass. It'd be a whole different ball game (no pun) if baseball was judge on the height and arc of the ball, and football was based on who moved the best...
Well, there are definate points available in drifting competitions - passing the oponent car. There's probably others, but I haven't paid attention enough to know.

All them non-motorized sports suck anyways.

Oh yeah, wanted to post this link since its drifting and its a porsche.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1234985829
Old 10-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Over Boost
Instructor

I think thats Keiichi Tsuchiya aka the drift king driving the porsche in that video.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:41 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I heard a few comments made by professional race drivers that were invited to compete in a drifting competition. The professional racer comments was that they had spent their careers learning to drive fast at the edge of traction. It was very difficult for them to keep the car sliding because their trained response was to get traction back.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:39 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

Originally Posted by billthe3
As well as any sport that has refs deciding plays - aka: baseball, football, etc.

They're just all haters because they can't do it.
Ha agreed, hell I can't do it either though
Old 10-08-2006, 04:52 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

I cannot remember where this was for the life of me, but once traveling we stopped for gas and there was a gokart track next to the station, there was a smooth concrete track with something that looked like shuffleboard dust all over it. It was called a Slider Track or something like that, it looked like a lot of fun.

I'm rather fond of going sideways, I live about 30 miles from town and once it started snowing before I started home and I came home in about 4" of snow on the road. I loved it, I got to go sideways almost the whole way home without breaking the speed limit!

When I was young and foolish I had a '83 Z28 camaro with a 400 in it, when I went out 'playing' at night I would come home with as many bugs on the rear quarter panels as on the windshield. I lived in the TN mountains...
Old 10-08-2006, 11:08 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Drifting is NOT racing. It is a compitition based on show and your actual performace.

However, IT TAKES SKILL!!!!!!

It is not my cup of tea but I respect the cars, drivers and fans. It does seem like it is a ton of fun and without question requires a lot of car control (like all high performace driving).

Since I work (worked?) at Nissan I met a few employees who drift. Most of them prefer road racing though.
Part of drifting is style...both your physical car and your driving so it is a unique form of motorsports and almost like a motocross or other extreme dirt bike compitions with judging being an itergral part of winning.

Hey at least these guys have something constructive to aspire to and work towards, a creative outlet if you will.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:43 PM
will69camaro
Track Day

I spent the weekend in my 99 SS wasting a set of tires at a practice autox. I really wanna get into road racing at TWS and with the 951 i'm picking up i have plans to do that even more. I spent this event however learning to drift even better. It's alot of fun and you have supprisingly good control over where the car goes. I was able to make just about the whole course at full lock counter steer and still make the gates by simply controlling throttle position. I had a blast and wasted a set of tires that i was just going to trash anyway. I'm actually happy to see little hate on this board towards those who tend to like drifting. I dont really know how i'd classify it (sport or not), all i know is that it takes alot of skill to do it well, make it look good and keep speeds up.

I had a blast!
William

Quick Reply: OT: Drifting