Originally Posted by will69camaro
I had a blast!
William
And that is ALL that really matters!
Old 10-08-2006, 11:55 PM
will69camaro
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly. It was fun and i'll do it again...As long as i have spare crap tires anyway. I have some friends here in town that used to drift professionally before he lost interest in it.

William
Old 10-09-2006, 04:27 AM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Drifting is alright, too many people take it too far and think it's a "lifestyle". Those people almost always end up binning cars and doing stupid ****. I personally think drifting attracts too many retards, but being that 944's aren't popular drift cars it's hard to convey that.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:37 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Completely agree.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:26 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Our local NASA region often has Drift groups during a typical DE/Racing weekend. Drifting does take skill. There are time I mess-up one particular corner and my old response to not loosing too much speed (ie parking it) is to drift around the corner. So I have an idea for what it takes and it does take driving skill to pull off.

However I dislike drifting, because it seems so pointless. Lap time suck and all you do try to "look cool". That is the main goal of drifining. "look cool". How do you win a drift event? Look cool.

The thing I really hate is that the drifters screw-up the racing surface. DE guys may not notice, but us racers can feel how the track surface changes right after a drift session. The grip is poor for the first 4-5 laps. I think it has to do with the way the lay down rubber and toss marbles all over the racing line.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Drifting is gay period. Yes it's something fun to experience and do. However it's been my experience that a large majority of drifters are broke a$$ fools that don't give a damn about their cars, drive wreckless, and just overall don't have respect for anything. It's the road track equivalent of parking lot donuts. It doesn't accomplish anything. It's not a motorsport, it's a motor-showoff.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:30 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Drifting is gay period. Yes it's something fun to experience and do. However it's been my experience that a large majority of drifters are broke a$$ fools that don't give a damn about their cars, drive wreckless, and just overall don't have respect for anything. It's the road track equivalent of parking lot donuts. It doesn't accomplish anything. It's not a motorsport, it's a motor-showoff.
Well said.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:39 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

One thing no one has really touched upon was the fact that the ***-out stuff they do today isn't at all what drifting originally was (or at least what I've decided it really was). Originally it was supposed to be like wrc driving, in that in a really tight turn you get the car sideways prior to the turn so that as you slide into the turn you come out going right on the line at full speed. Seeing as the whole technique was created in the japanese mountains, it makes a lot more sense for it to be like the wrc style instead of ***-out style that it has been turned into today.

That being said, I'm all for wrc style drifting in races, assuming the course is tight enough to warrant it. But the ***-out stuff done by "pros" really is just to impress the ladies. lol Its still cool though.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:47 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by billthe3
That being said, I'm all for wrc style drifting in races, assuming the course is tight enough to warrant it.
Very very rarely is the case. On dirt drifting is essential. On tarmac Rally guys don't really drift. They do toss the back end around to get through really tight hairpins, but they have two reasons for this.

1) Corners are or can be MUCH tighter on mountain roads than on a proper road course.

2) They changes tires pretty darn often. So a little extra burn of tires it not a bad thing as it would be on a close circuit race course.

Now racers do perform 4 wheel drifts of a very gentle nature. The slip angles involved are slightly more than what normal grip provides and very difficult to see. Too much sliding really just burns tires and costs time on a road course.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Tms951
Pro

Alot of the Japanese D1 drift drivers are JGTC drivers. I have seen drifting at SEMA it takes alot of skill to cut it as close as they do.

How the F do you drift a FWD car, I really doubt there are any in the D1 drift, what is it if there is?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:27 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

All drifting technically is is controlled excessive oversteer. In the case of a fwd car, you'd go through the turn constantly applying varrying pressure to the e-brake (going on and off) to keep the rear of the car out. Or just have the suspension setup for lots of oversteer.

M758 - Very true. I was just trying to make an example, or something like that... The whole drift idea started on mountain roads where the turns are as tight as the ones done by wrc, so the original idea is good, just its been turned into this ***-out sensation that is completely different from the original idea.

Ok, does anyone else watch the anime/cartoon show Initial D? I'm quite the avid fan of that so I see drifting in those terms - the very tight mountain roads, not at all the ***-out smoke show stuff that is d1.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:29 AM
eospeed
Racer

1 drifting is gay
2 In this country all the drifters I have seen look like the same punks that hang out in the taco bell parking lot at 2am on Sat an yes I have been to a few D1 events lots of foreiners an gays with multi colored hair
3 drifting is gay
4 Yes it take some skill but so dose wiping your *** while keeping your hand clean
5 drifting is gay
Old 10-10-2006, 12:37 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldnt care less what anyone like eospeed thinks. Drifting is fun, I love going out in a friend's Twin Turbo 350z and drifting, or my e30. The 951 is alittle to snappy and I dont have enough seat time with it in the current setup. But expect a ripoff on the 951 Meals commercial in the spring.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:42 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eospeed
1 drifting is gay
2 In this country all the drifters I have seen look like the same punks that hang out in the taco bell parking lot at 2am on Sat an yes I have been to a few D1 events lots of foreiners an gays with multi colored hair
3 drifting is gay
4 Yes it take some skill but so dose wiping your *** while keeping your hand clean
5 drifting is gay
"not that there's anything wrong with that"
Old 10-10-2006, 12:43 AM
eospeed
Racer

Originally Posted by MPD47
Couldnt care less what anyone like eospeed thinks. Drifting is fun, I love going out in a friend's Twin Turbo 350z and drifting, or my e30. The 951 is alittle to snappy and I dont have enough seat time with it in the current setup. But expect a ripoff on the 951 Meals commercial in the spring.

To each his own enjoy my Idea of fun is blasting around the track with 30 others wheel to wheel preferably in the rain.But thats me enjoy the drifting.

Quick Reply: OT: Drifting