some vitesse stage 3 pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:49 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JET951
Hi Ed,
I believe my Maf is 3 inch in diameter. seems like you have a bigger one. I used 1.5mm stainless as that's what i had in the workshop at the time. if i were to do it again i would use aluminium, its just lighter. the J pipe will still fit. i just leave all the clamps loose(except for the turbo inlet clamp, as its harder to get to with the inlet installed) and play around with the fitment. it will fit but will need some fiddling. the bead is not necessary, i just did that because i could. any questions im more then happy to help. i can provide more photos if you need them
Sean
Hi Sean
Thanks again for the info
OK so my MAF is 3 1/2 inches so I will go with 3 1/2 Aluminum pipe
A few more questions if I may
You left your J pipe in it's orig length? ( I ask you that again, because unless I put a 45 on the end of that J boot it points right into my headlight .. I need it to make more of a turn towards that fresh air inlet ..) I may have an earlier J pipe as well so mine may be a tad longer .. Also I believe the because I have a Turbo S that the X over coolant pipe and the reinforcement plate gets in the way of the J pipe sitting flatter
After the MAF, it appears you have a straight section .. is that just a piece of silicone hose to extent the pipe towards the fresh air hole ? Then the welded pipe sections come into play ?
Thanks for your help
Regards
Ed
ps I will try to shoot some picts so you can see what I mean
Old 03-08-2011, 05:50 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Ed,
the J pipe isnt a perfect fit. i found that some of the silicon hoses were kinked a little(if thats the right word). The straight section is just a slightly longer piece of silicon hose. it seemed to fit better that way. also the bracket on the back of the headlight gets in the way a little. i have seen a few guys on here cut it off and the headlights seem to work fine, although i have not tried it.post some pics on here or send some pics to my email if you want and i will see if i can help you out. buchananautomotive@hotmail.com, do you have access to an aluminium welder?
Sean
Old 03-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Hi Ed,
the J pipe isnt a perfect fit. i found that some of the silicon hoses were kinked a little(if thats the right word). The straight section is just a slightly longer piece of silicon hose. it seemed to fit better that way. also the bracket on the back of the headlight gets in the way a little. i have seen a few guys on here cut it off and the headlights seem to work fine, although i have not tried it.post some pics on here or send some pics to my email if you want and i will see if i can help you out. buchananautomotive@hotmail.com, do you have access to an aluminium welder?
Sean
Hi Sean
I will post picts tomorrow .. It's getting pretty late here
I had cut off that headlight stop already, knowing it would get in the way when I was going to put the MAF in .... I have a MAPP/Oxygen torch which I have used for brazing ... I am far from an expert. I have never done such a big piece. I extended the turbo coolant pipe, which by measure, is a pretty small job. I was thinking if in the end, it's a little too complicated, I can always join the sections with silicone or farm out the fitted pieces to be welded ...
Thanks again for your help I post some pictures tomorrow
all the best
Ed
Old 03-08-2011, 08:53 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Ed, the MAF you have is the early style (6 or 7 years old??). Based on the pictures you sent, you are almost there. If you want more clearance by the fender, just shorten the J-pipe.

The MAF kit Sean has is the new style. The MAF sensor, J-pipe and air filter are all different than what was used 6-7 years ago.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast951
Ed, the MAF you have is the early style (6 or 7 years old??). Based on the pictures you sent, you are almost there. If you want more clearance by the fender, just shorten the J-pipe.

The MAF kit Sean has is the new style. The MAF sensor, J-pipe and air filter are all different than what was used 6-7 years ago.
Thanks John
That is very helpful to know
I will cut the J Pipe ...but in truth, being in the fender-well, seems to be so much better of an idea ...I will post a few pictures in a few hrs ... Even if I get the fliter to fit it seems like the end of the filter will act like a plug and inhibit the air more like a plug then a filter ??
Thanks again for your help
best regards
Ed
Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default new picts

Well guys this is not going to work without some modifications
and I don't think that just cutting the J pipe is the solution. That's not to say, that I wont cut it, I just want to see where things line up ... i.e. the boost pipe connections to the BOV etc ...
At the risk of being redundant, I have to mention again, that I think one of the issues here is, that my car is a Turbo S and I think this set-up was designed on a 86 turbo ..??? When I saw Tom's it was apparent to me, that the J pipe is sitting lower, because he has a rubber hose , where I have the crossover pipe hitting the bottom of the J pipe...and I have a welded support around the same area that the earlier cars don't have ... Any feedback John ?
I think I need to get a hump hose or at least an extended coupler ( like 4 inches ) or a 45 degree coupler coming off that J pipe otherwise the filter is going to bang into the headlight ( not to mention that its hitting the fender
I really want to try to get the filter into the fender-well. I think that is the best way to go ...
John what are the differences between the earlier model and the later model J boots, other than the overall length?
Thanks in advance for all your help guys
Regards
Ed
Attached Images       
Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Ed, follow the suggestions I emailed you over the weekend. You are attaching all items in straight line, will not work that way. You had it dead on in one of the pictures you sent me, with a single mod needed...
Old 03-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast951
Ed, follow the suggestions I emailed you over the weekend. You are attaching all items in straight line, will not work that way. You had it dead on in one of the pictures you sent me, with a single mod needed...
Hi John
My Laptop just went south ...
So I am using another computer .. I don't understand when you say, "You are attaching all the items in a straight line ?" I would call you on the phone, but since no laptop no phone #'s ....
I was afraid to cut the J pipe until I know where the other lines are connecting ...
When I sent you that picture over the weekend that set up lasted about 5 mins until the blue coupler slipped off the j pipe ... it either needs to be longer or as you suggested maybe a hump hose ( either way it needs to be longer ) But again I don't believe that will stop the filter from hitting the headlight or the fender
Old 03-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default Sean check your email ..

Hi Sean
Sorry to bother ya
I sent you a picture of the intake pipe I was going to buy .. Just want to confirm it's the correct radius and I can cut it as you mentioned.
One other important issue .... European cars don't have the marker light on the front side fender ...does yours ? I ask that because my friend Tom M'Ginn had taken a quick stab at this relocation of the filter, a few yrs back, and though that the marker lights would get in the way of the filter ??
Thanks in advance
Regards
Ed
Old 03-11-2011, 06:01 AM
vanosman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post5894796

can anyone figure how Broadfoot worked out stock flapper and pipes ?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:08 AM
JET951
Drifting

Hi Ed,
No email received, try send it again. Good point you make there, it is quite tight with the K&N filter in the front left guard. We dont have the sidemarker like the US cars. might be a good idea to get the inner guard out and see what room you have available.
Sean
Old 03-11-2011, 06:13 AM
JET951
Drifting

Using the Flapper after the intercooler allows them to use a blow off valve instead of a recirculation valve, no better just different. im not certain that the effort would make a difference to performance as the flapper is still in use.

Originally Posted by vanosman
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post5894796

can anyone figure how Broadfoot worked out stock flapper and pipes ?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:19 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Hi Ed,
No email received, try send it again. Good point you make there, it is quite tight with the K&N filter in the front left guard. We dont have the sidemarker like the US cars. might be a good idea to get the inner guard out and see what room you have available.
Sean
Hi Sean
Thanks bud
I emailed it to the address you listed ... no biggie .. I think I will not be able to get it in there because of the marker light
I don't have to take off the inner liner, because the whole freakin car is in pieces
I have the whole front bumper off and the liner out and the front suspension out
So I have plenty of room now it just when the lights go in ...?
I dont know if you saw the news but there has been a wicked earthquake in Japan and they were hit with a tsunami after the quake and there is supposed to be one headed for the western US coast... in 6 hrs I need to find a row boat Fast
Hope to update you shortly
Best regards
Ed
Old 03-11-2011, 06:27 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default Just emailed you

Hi Sean
Hopefully you will get this one
Regards
Ed