Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

some vitesse stage 3 pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 07:56 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
yes please! PICS! I don't speak Australian very well!
It took long enough to figure out New Zealand!
It's best if you don't try to figure out New Zealand. Others have tried and never been the same since. Strange mob. Lot's of very close cousins.
I've got the overflow bottle fitted by JET and it works a treat, especially at the track.
Love your new avatar also. HST looking a treat.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:25 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure that your air filter location will get enough air? I've heard of people with concerns over just having the filter in front of the coolant expansion tank since there is less air there than the stock location. I would think that the location you selected would be a vacuum at high velocities, no? Not to mention your tires slinging dirt, water and mud onto the filter!
Old 10-02-2006, 03:19 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by danny951
Are you sure that your air filter location will get enough air? I've heard of people with concerns over just having the filter in front of the coolant expansion tank since there is less air there than the stock location. I would think that the location you selected would be a vacuum at high velocities, no? Not to mention your tires slinging dirt, water and mud onto the filter!
Not if the fender liner is in. And thats where the stock intake sucked air in, so it cant be TOO horrible a spot.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:19 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

you said it before i could edge, i even did a tempreture test between the two locations and where i have my filter now i had a 16 degree celsius difference after driving for an hour.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:40 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Might I mention...
And of course your 951!

And for the NZ/Machtig turbo Air setup.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=110

And for the thread just click the link at the top of that post.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

That location is gonna hurt you in the long run. I had an air filter in that location when I first bought my turbo (previous owner). Sounded great, looked OK, but when it rained the car started to misfire and run rough....five minutes later my headgasket was blown. I pulled over and sure enough the filter was soaked with water. I had ingested the water through the splashing and spray from the front tire.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:56 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

is that a coolant flow turbo, or only oil?
Old 03-24-2007, 01:34 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Default Air filter location update?

How did the air filter relocation work out?
Have you had any problems associated with the location?
Old 03-24-2007, 05:30 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

JET is off racing today and may not see this so I'll answer on his behalf that so far so good. No issues with the location of the filter. He is going to cover the standard K&N with some of the old stock filter paper to increase filtration. He will do the same on my car too.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:10 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the update!
Old 03-24-2007, 09:52 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Tim, I just emailed you. The MAF sensor you have is different than the one Sean & Patrick are using, so the above setup might need to be modifed.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Default This looks to be a great idea and upgrade !

Originally Posted by JET951
well i finally got around to installing the vitesse stage 3 kit (which i have had sitting in our shop for the past few months). fairly simple to install, only took a day, that was with a clutch job as well. it is amazing, straight out of the box it ran first crank, which i expected. drove it around for a while off boost to let the turbo seals seat. and finally got on it... the power is amazing. i dont think it even has any more lag then my k26/6, but it just pulls all the way to redline. and the surge is just addictive. oh and the sound is great...

i wasnt keen on where the cone air filter went so today i cut up some stainless bends, welded and used some silicone hose and put the air filter in the inner guard. i still have some polishing to do on the pipes too. i have no dyno figures yet but i will post them up when i have them.
sean
WOW
This is a great post !
There is something to be said, for those who wait
Well, after 5 years it's about time for me to put mine in ... After searching the board last night, for hours ... it's amazing how many posts there were regarding fitment issues ... This looks to be a great answer for those issues ..
Since my MAF and J pipe are the older version ( probably even older than what's pictured, I am having a hell of a time getting things to fit ... I can try cutting the J pipe, which I am sure would make it a little better, but that still leaves me with a filter ( which has a rubber top on the end, poised right in front of the hole, in which fresh air is supposted to be coming in to .... It acts more like a plug than an air intake ... Also because I have a turbo S that coolant cross bar and hose and support brace make it even a more difficult install. Does anyone have more instructions or pictures of this install? It would be very helpful ... I want to do this ASAP
Thanks in advance
Kind regards
Ed
Old 03-07-2011, 11:22 PM
JET951
Drifting

Hi Ed,
Here is a picture of the pipe i made, its entirely 3 inch in diameter. back then i used oxy to weld it. It comprises of 2x 90 degree sections, cut the first one in half and flip it around and weld it on. then just weld the 2nd 90 degree onto that. attach with a silicon hose.
Sean
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2011, 01:13 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JET951
Hi Ed,
Here is a picture of the pipe i made, its entirely 3 inch in diameter. back then i used oxy to weld it. It comprises of 2x 90 degree sections, cut the first one in half and flip it around and weld it on. then just weld the 2nd 90 degree onto that. attach with a silicon hose.
Sean
Thanks Sean very much for the picture. it explains a lot ...
It looks like that pipe has a bead on one end? Is that intercooler boost type pipe?
Also, my MAF has a 3 1/2 inch outlet (or inlet, as it should be called) wasn't yours 3 1/2 inches Did you just step down ?
One more question: Did you have to cut your J pipe as mine is way to long and it seems some had to do this
Sorry for all the questions
Best regards
Ed
Old 03-08-2011, 01:32 AM
JET951
Drifting

Hi Ed,
I believe my Maf is 3 inch in diameter. seems like you have a bigger one. I used 1.5mm stainless as that's what i had in the workshop at the time. if i were to do it again i would use aluminium, its just lighter. the J pipe will still fit. i just leave all the clamps loose(except for the turbo inlet clamp, as its harder to get to with the inlet installed) and play around with the fitment. it will fit but will need some fiddling. the bead is not necessary, i just did that because i could. any questions im more then happy to help. i can provide more photos if you need them
Sean

Quick Reply: some vitesse stage 3 pics