Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

240SX or 951

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 10:46 AM
2000wrx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240SX or 951

I have been looking at a variety of cars to buy next year. The Subaru would just cost me way to much to get it to the level of performance I want.

I have started looking at the 240sx w/rb25det as a nice high bang for the buck car. So far it looks to be a great platform for what I want.

I would like to have a well rounded car, with power in the 450+ range and a driveline that can take it. I know the nissan can get me there.

Well I started thinking about the ol 951's and how much I like them and the "idea" of a Porsche. I know the 951 can make the power, and I know it's chassis is one of the best around. I am not sure about the tranaxle, though I haven't heard anything negative.

The biggest issues is the cost, the Porsche would cost me what a completely swapped and prepped 240sx would.

I dunnon I guess I just wanted to get some of your thoughts on the matter, and see if there are some points of view I have missed.

Thanks guys.

One specific question I have is with my power goals in mind is looking for an 88S or 89 Turbo all that important... since most of the parts would be changed/upgraded.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:59 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a 87+ with a good motor$6-10,000 and a $4000 vitesse kit, Big Red front brake kit $1500, 968 M030 sways with solid mounts and bushings $800, bilstein coil overs $1900 and you have a fast great handeling car.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:06 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

If you actually have to debate between a 240SX and a 944 Turbo, get the 240SX.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:07 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2000wrx
I have been looking at a variety of cars to buy next year. The Subaru would just cost me way to much to get it to the level of performance I want.

I have started looking at the 240sx w/rb25det as a nice high bang for the buck car. So far it looks to be a great platform for what I want.

I would like to have a well rounded car, with power in the 450+ range and a driveline that can take it. I know the nissan can get me there.

Well I started thinking about the ol 951's and how much I like them and the "idea" of a Porsche. I know the 951 can make the power, and I know it's chassis is one of the best around. I am not sure about the tranaxle, though I haven't heard anything negative.

The biggest issues is the cost, the Porsche would cost me what a completely swapped and prepped 240sx would.

I dunnon I guess I just wanted to get some of your thoughts on the matter, and see if there are some points of view I have missed.

Thanks guys.

One specific question I have is with my power goals in mind is looking for an 88S or 89 Turbo all that important... since most of the parts would be changed/upgraded.
Cheapest route and a nice daily driver is Neon -SRT. Hate to admit that but it's true

Also, I did the same thinking as you on the S or NON s and figured maybe the S would have a little more collectability, but that would only matter if you keep it bone stock which you, and I, did not

So then with what you want power wise and handling/drive line to support you will be putting on a bigger turbo, MAF, tuning equipment probblya clutch and wanting LSD, and probably, to do it right, a top end rebuild with all new hoses/lines etc.

So your most cost effective approcah is to find a car that is in need of all of this anyway; maybe a blown HG or turbo, etc. and yo uget it real cheap and put those new parts on anyway.

In short, if the clutch, turbo, rear end, and top end are in bad shape, it doesn;t matter as you would be updating all of those parts anyway.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 944 Fanatic
If you actually have to debate between a 240SX and a 944 Turbo, get the 240SX.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:20 AM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My roommate has a 240sx with a RB20 and I work with a guy that races (not drifts) a 240sx with an SR20.

The 240 is a great car and can be had on the cheap. I'm thinking of building one as my next project.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:24 AM
2000wrx
Instructor

Paul are ignorant litle jabs really how you want to represnt yourself?

I have a 2000 Subaru with a WRX motor now, but if I want to go beyond the 300AWHP mark it will cost me 4-6K for a "good" transmission. Thus I think it will be my daily and I am looking at other "fun" car options. (I will not do FWD, just a personal taste thing)

Thanks for the info... I would personally rather have the Porsche, but I can't ignore the Performance of a RB25DET swapped 240sx.
If the performance and the cost of the Porsche are with in a comfortable range I would rather go that route.

Hey another Michigan guy... I'm from SE Michigan, about 45 minute south of Flint.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

The Porsche will undoubtedly cost you more in the long run.
About 10 years ago I had a first gen 240SX SE. A really nice car, obviously inspired by the 944. The truck engine sucked though.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:36 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Paul are ignorant litle jabs really how you want to represnt yourself?.
Aww, come on man! Lighten up!

If cost of modifications/maintenance is a concern, which it certainly seems to be, the 240SX will quite clearly be a much better choice for you. The two cars are in two different leagues with respect to cost of modifications and cost of maintenance. If you don't want to spend $4-6K on mods for your Subie, you really won't want to spend $10K on maintenance and mods for your Porsche, will you?

Have a great day.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:40 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Paul are ignorant litle jabs really how you want to represnt yourself?

I have a 2000 Subaru with a WRX motor now, but if I want to go beyond the 300AWHP mark it will cost me 4-6K for a "good" transmission. Thus I think it will be my daily and I am looking at other "fun" car options. (I will not do FWD, just a personal taste thing)

Thanks for the info... I would personally rather have the Porsche, but I can't ignore the Performance of a RB25DET swapped 240sx.
If the performance and the cost of the Porsche are with in a comfortable range I would rather go that route.

Hey another Michigan guy... I'm from SE Michigan, about 45 minute south of Flint.
To get a 944 turbo to run optimal and to a certain degree reliable @ 400rwhp is not a easy task, nor it is cheap. If you do your own work you will save $$$ but the parts are very expensive. Also the 951's will not tolerate drag race abuse , burn outs etc. But once is on the run very few cars will cut through the air like the 951, the whole plattaform comes together as you aproach speeds of 100mph+. Estimate $ 25k+ for a project like that there is no easy way.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:54 AM
2000wrx
Instructor

hmmm... what are the big $$ items?

My budget to get the Subaru to the level I wanted was 15K, my issues was the 1/3 of that was a transmission, and it's "just a Subaru". I have no issues with dumping stupid amounts of money into a car (the right car) its a waste and I accept that.

So far I haven't seen any big ticket items for the porsche, what are some areas that eat up the funds, and once a project is complete what maintenance cost are there, (over any other car)

Could you give me a quick breakdown of that 25K cost? Shortblock, head, turbo... just a real rough guess would be helpfull.

Thanks guys!!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:59 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 155 Posts

I'll chime in as I have owned several fast Nissans and still own one quick Nissan sports car.

The 240SX is an incredibly balanced chassis - I love them to death. Kerb weight is very decent and with the power a 2.5L straight six will be a monster. The RB25 will see 450whp reliably all day on pump gas and give 28mp/g with all stock internals.

Its not a Porsche and yes the 944 was probably the "model" that Nissan studied when rolling out the S13/240SX chassis.

If you want raw power and torque the 240SX / RB25 combo would be hard to beat in a great chassis with aftermarket parts out the WAZOOOO!

If you want to have bragging rights and to say you own a Porsche, then the choice is easy. 944 Turbo especially in the "S" designation is a great machine but even modified will have a tough time keeping pace with a 240SX \ RB25DET.

Popping the hood and seeing this (I know its the bigger brother RB26) has to make a few peoples hairs on the back of their necks rise:

Hope that helps - Yasin
Old 09-22-2006, 12:16 PM
2000wrx
Instructor

I am a Porsche guy since I could say the word Porsche, but with age has come reason, and my Porsche lust has given way to practicle sense. I don't need to impress people or bolster an ego by owning a "namebrand".

I do think that the Nissan would with what I want at this stage in life, maybe when I am a little older and have matured a little more (no longer need elevintybillon HP) I can get a nice Carrera 3.2L and enjoy it for what it is.

RB26DETT = DROOOOOOL
Old 09-22-2006, 12:46 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Let us assumed first that you find the perfect car with exce. compression and leak down #'s, new belts, water pump, new brake slave and master cyl. new fuel lines etc for under 10k, lol.

You have two aproaches to reach the 400hp figure

1) you will need larger turbo, injectors, afpr and a maf with piggyback to adjust your a/f ratio to your boost levels and at least a cup clutch kit , Than crank the boost to 22 psi, will you get to 400rwhp? maybe. Reliable? hard to say.

2)2nd aproach same basic components as before but you will need more displacement, head work, crank work, pistons, rods and a clutch setup to match the power KEP PP , six puck ceramic bronze clutch, lighter flywheel, suspension mods?? That is a lot of money trust me. lol. You will be able to reach 400hp with less boost which translattes to more reliability. But you will pay a premiun for that.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:00 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I am a Porsche guy since I could say the word Porsche, but with age has come reason, and my Porsche lust has given way to practicle sense. I don't need to impress people or bolster an ego by owning a "namebrand".

I do think that the Nissan would with what I want at this stage in life, maybe when I am a little older and have matured a little more (no longer need elevintybillon HP) I can get a nice Carrera 3.2L and enjoy it for what it is.

RB26DETT = DROOOOOOL
Agree until you reach 19 naws is d'way , here is a picture of one of our teen street racers , "ROCK"
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 240SX or 951