Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Curiosity killed the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 05:36 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is wheel hop during shifts a clutch issue or suspension/traction issue?
Old 09-22-2006, 02:31 AM
JE_951
Pro

an easy way to see if your car is slipping is brake bost. Mine will jump to redline in 3rd doing a hard brakeboost. looks like i need a new clutch also...

sine he asked about clutches, how are the Spec clutches? i was thinking about going with a stage 3. I want something track/street. I like stiffer faster engaging/stronger holds. Plus room for more power.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:58 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kool
I could never bring myself to drop the clutch in any of my cars.

My first truck was an automatic and it would leave 100ft black strips and chirp second. That was fun. My dad could never figure out how I would go through tires soo fast.
I'm usually pretty good with my cars, but when I'm hard on them I'm absolutely ruthless.
My parents used to always wonder why my mom's 2000 chrysler minivan needed new front right tires so much - crazy non-limited slip thing peels out like theres no tomorrow with 200tq and a turn of the wheel. Some of my more exciting adventures were doing burnouts in the highschool autoshop with my mom's van, and being shooed out of one of the local community college parking lots by the rent-a-cops late on a saturday night for practicing/attempting to drift my dad's 96 740iL. Hurray for highschool! Damn, that reminds me that his car is still over half a second faster than mine in the 1/4mi... At least the 951 doesn't cost so much to repair the interior parts, but thats a whole 'nother thread.

Anyway, the clutch is definatly getting better the more I drive it. I was actually have a semi-hard time getting going today, but that was more because it was the first time I've driven in it a month or so with the a/c on and I had a pair of hiking boots on so I couldn't feel the pedals very well. Not hearing any abnormal noises or feeling anything out of the ordinary, and it was getting a lot better on the highway also. So hopefully it looks like I may have lucked out in that its not completely gone. I guess I get to just keep saving up for having the shop do all the crap at once. Assuming I don't blow all my money on other parts first...

Don't worry Kuhl, you won't have to bring the BFH to the drive. Well, I may need it to smack my friend with the e36 m3 because he's being iffy about if he can come.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:04 AM
beebone
Racer

I live in HK, the traffice like hell, always start and stop in low speed, didnt have any smoke or smeel on the clutch. I dont know the age of the clutch since last owner put it in.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4 years later.....

Quick Reply: Curiosity killed the clutch