Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo rebuilds: who does 'em???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 01:45 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turbo rebuilds: who does 'em???

I would like to have my original stock K26/6 turbo rebuilt.

1. What is involved in a turbo rebuild? What specifically is rebuilt?

2. Who is the best person to ship this to for a rebuild?

3. What can I expect out of a rebuild? Reduced blow-by? More hp? Other?

Thanks!

Last edited by shiners780; 09-18-2006 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:01 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

bump
Old 09-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They guy that LR uses is really good. We purchased a rebuilt Kokeln V from them 3 years ago for the track car and it's still going strong. Give them a call to see what he can do. Do you have to stay with some class rules?
Old 09-17-2006, 11:24 AM
amschnellsten
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

diesel injection in cincinnati ohio. They are artists with any turbo and very cheap.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:18 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ski
They guy that LR uses is really good. We purchased a rebuilt Kokeln V from them 3 years ago for the track car and it's still going strong. Give them a call to see what he can do. Do you have to stay with some class rules?
No class rules to abide by, strictly a DE/open track/lapping day car. Why, is there an upgrade option you have in mind? I would be open to upgrading, as long as it doesn't result in the engine being less dependable because of it.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:19 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amschnellsten
diesel injection in cincinnati ohio. They are artists with any turbo and very cheap.
Thank you, I will do some research on them.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:23 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I'll see if I can remember the name of the shop in Wisconsin that used to do PCNA's turbo rebuilds, in the Milwaukee area, iirc. Those guys are the folks to send it to, as it will come back 100% to new spec, with no drama/bs.

Regards,
Old 09-17-2006, 12:24 PM
User 41221
Banned

Or, if upgrades are an option, call John at Vitesse. His stuff is rock solid.

Regards,
Old 09-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott's got a good recomendation; if you are going to upgrade, now is the time since the turbo is out. Tuning is the key to reliability. This would be a great time to add a true 3 piece crossover pipe, like the one LR has. Turbo/MAF kits, either Vitesse or Lindsey. Both good kits, both great vendors.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:34 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sh944
Or, if upgrades are an option, call John at Vitesse. His stuff is rock solid.

Regards,
Is there an upgrade option though that doesn't cost $3000+ and that doesn't make the engine less reliable due to increased power? Power is good and all, but I would rather it be reliable. Increased horsepower doesn't do me any good if the car is always out of commission due to blown headgaskets and such. I admit I know little about turbo's and about what options are available. Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:50 PM
User 41221
Banned

Yes, there is a decent option and its a dead straight bolt on. Its called a k26/8, couple that with a good wastegate and chips from Vitesse, and I bet you'd be VERY happy.

The problem with power upgrades is that it NEVER ends and there is no free lunch (more power=more strain on engine=less reliability). There's should be another saying along the lines of "with unlimited power comes an unlimited wallet" and if no one can take credit for that one, then feel free to attribute it to me! lol).

For your stated use, I'd skip the three piece crossover and other stuff, and keep it simple. I'm not discounting Bret's advice, but I doubt you'd be doing a pan removal/rod bearing job trackside. Also, if you want to increase "power" without reliability issues, the single best way I know is to look at losing weight on the car, rather than increasing hp.

Regards,
Old 09-17-2006, 01:04 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Yes, there is a decent option and its a dead straight bolt on. Its called a k26/8, couple that with a good wastegate and chips from Vitesse, and I bet you'd be VERY happy.

The problem with power upgrades is that it NEVER ends and there is no free lunch (more power=more strain on engine=less reliability). There's should be another saying along the lines of "with unlimited power comes an unlimited wallet" and if no one can take credit for that one, then feel free to attribute it to me! lol).

For your stated use, I'd skip the three piece crossover and other stuff, and keep it simple. I'm not discounting Bret's advice, but I doubt you'd be doing a pan removal/rod bearing job trackside. Also, if you want to increase "power" without reliability issues, the single best way I know is to look at losing weight on the car, rather than increasing hp.

Regards,
Good information, thank you. Now, would bolting on an upgraded turbo without changing chips or wastegate or anything else provide more power? In other words, if I upgraded my turbo and nothing else, will I see performance gains? Or do you have to do all mods in series to notice any gains?

I notice LR has a "Super 48" turbo, equivalent to a K27/8. Would I notice any performance gains if I bolted this turbo on without doing anything else? From their website: "The "Super 48" utilizes a 48# per minute compressor wheel packed in a TO4E. Your choice of wet (water jacketed) or dry (oil cooled) frames. This turbo is capable of 480 HP and flows 696 CFM @ 1 bar. It comparable in size to a K27 in size and power output."

Now I realize I won't see 480HP without other substantial mods, but would any gains be realized without any other mods? I am not opposed to increased hp and the increased risk of reliability issues TO A POINT. I like "simple," and don't want to go crazy with engine mods that will result in lots of downtime. Reasonable upgrades are welcome, if such a thing exists.

[As far as weight loss, I'm at 2672# with half tank of fuel/no driver.]
Old 09-17-2006, 01:15 PM
User 41221
Banned

"Now, would bolting on an upgraded turbo without changing chips or wastegate or anything else provide more power? In other words, if I upgraded my turbo and nothing else, will I see performance gains? Or do you have to do all mods in series to notice any gains?"

BAD, BAD, BAD!

Any changes to your engine need to be planned as a part of a "system" and you need to plan to tune your engine for your mods. In the case of a 951, chip tuning is the easiest route to take for safety/reliability/efficiency/power gain. Just plopping a different turbo in is a recipe for disaster. Don't go there. That approach is completely at odds with your original request in this thread, and I promise you wouldn't be happy with the outcome.

As for the Lindsey turbo youmentioned, I do not have direct experience usung it, but would imagine that something that is the equivalent to a k27/8 will be WAY too much for an otherwise stock engine.

Regards,
Old 09-17-2006, 01:28 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

"Now, would bolting on an upgraded turbo without changing chips or wastegate or anything else provide more power? In other words, if I upgraded my turbo and nothing else, will I see performance gains? Or do you have to do all mods in series to notice any gains?"

BAD, BAD, BAD!

Any changes to your engine need to be planned as a part of a "system" and you need to plan to tune your engine for your mods. In the case of a 951, chip tuning is the easiest route to take for safety/reliability/efficiency/power gain. Just plopping a different turbo in is a recipe for disaster. Don't go there. That approach is completely at odds with your original request in this thread, and I promise you wouldn't be happy with the outcome.

Regards,
I feel like I just got spanked.

Maybe I should just get this stock turbo rebuilt and be done with it for now. Mods can be done later when the budget allows, and when I can do it right all at once. Thank you for the insight.

I'm going to go stand in the corner now......
Old 09-17-2006, 01:32 PM
User 41221
Banned

lol... No spanking involved here! I just enjoyed watching you run at Nelson's and would hate to see you have to spend more time/money working on the car, rather than driving.

Cheers!

Regards,

Quick Reply: Turbo rebuilds: who does 'em???