Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Where does the removable roof go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Zedmau5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where does the removable roof go?

Right now when i take the roof off my 951, i'm laying it in the trunk, but i would really like it to be secured to something. If i get into an accident, the things gonna chop my head off Is there some special way to secure it?

thanks for the help.
Shawn
Old 09-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

the car should have a leatherette cover which zips up and has straps that strap to the hooks at the back of the hatch. also the side pillars behind the rear seats seem to hold the roof snug and I don't think will allow the roof to slide forward. I usually only use the cover when putting something on top of the roof....enjoy the roof off, as I use mine all the time but don't see many others doing it.
Turbodan
Old 09-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Zedmau5
Instructor

i love the roof off... its one of my favorite parts of the car.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, but putting it into that bag is a major PITFA for what it's worth- also, some models came w/a set of straps- these are a pain to get the thing into as well- I just lay mine in back & work it in sort of at the pillars & it usually stays in place- about to make some sort of anchor for two front points for a cargo net (no rear seat) & might try to just lay it under that when it's done...
Old 09-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Yea, the biggest problem I have is since my car is red, I get a glare in the back window. So, I am thinking of tring it upside down or taking a black towel with me to cover it.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually, most paints will glare, despite color, b/c of the actual smooth finish... Upside down works, but it's more likely to slide that way- do you not have a hatch cover? There were two styles- roll-out & hanging...
Old 09-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Zedmau5
Instructor

i have a spot for a roll out hatch cover, but no hatch cover. Im just worried about the thing, god forbid im in a horrible accident, flying up to the front and chopping my head off.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:41 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xSHAWNoftheDEAD
i have a spot for a roll out hatch cover, but no hatch cover. Im just worried about the thing, god forbid im in a horrible accident, flying up to the front and chopping my head off.
Somewhat unlikely, but anything's possible. First, it's heavy- the electric ones weigh 19.5lbs & the manual ones are ~17lbs & since they're so big, for it to come up just right & get through the cabin at the right angle to actually cut your head off... Well, it's possible, but it's a long shot. Of course, it could just flip up & smack you in the back of the head hard enough to cause brain damage... See, there's always a silver lining...

As for the hatch cover- you can always buy a hanging version- best case- get a used one in crappy condition- should be able to pick it up for less than $20 in a junk yard w/the side cups that mounts it into the 1/4 panels. Then, you take it to an interior place or send it to someone who can recover it, like Rob Budd. I had mine recovered locally for $50- I ruined it right afterwards & will have to do it again, but they are so simple. Those roll-out ones are hideously expensive & seem to break easily. The hanging style is just two rods, so is really cheap... OR, you can buy one new from PP for ~$175...

Of course, this doesn't help your flying SR prob... Suggestions on that would be- cargo net (should hold it...?), or the tie down straps or the vinyl SR cover- those last two are just a big PITFA to do on a regular basis, IMO- just seems someone could come up w/a simpler, yet effective, solution...
Old 09-11-2006, 12:49 PM
1Sick86
Track Day

Just wear a helmet....
Old 09-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

Leave the roof at home!
Old 09-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

just get the bag for it.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:09 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or, you could rig up a system of interconnected wires and pulleys that automatically react to rapid g-forces in the same fashion as an inertia reel and then relax after the initial motion, returning to their initial tensions once forces get under .5 g's...but that would require a NASA-like energineering group and defense department-like wallet. Then again, long bungees or a cargo net might be simpler.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:17 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

I gave mine to the German kids to use as a sled this winter. They thought is was just the S76t, as it was the first time they ever saw a sled made by Porsche and it detached from the top just like skiis.

No the totaly cool leather bag works too!

Last edited by SchnellerUmsetzer; 09-11-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:09 PM
ApexCars
Pro

Or you could do like me and just never take the bastard off, and have recurring fantasies about having a metal panel welded in to make a sunroof delete car.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Zedmau5
Instructor

Originally Posted by ApexCars
Or you could do like me and just never take the bastard off, and have recurring fantasies about having a metal panel welded in to make a sunroof delete car.
i love the so called bastard, and i love to feel the wind all around me while im driving. I drive with my windows open in the winter .

Quick Reply: Where does the removable roof go?