Injector upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006 | 04:24 AM
PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector upgrade questions

Hi all,

I'm looking to bolt a few upgrades onto my '86 951 soon. I have a t04e turbo, MAF and a few other goodies in a box ready to go, but I need injectors to go with the setup (I'm having chips custom-made to handle this).

I located a deal on a set of four Siemens 75# flow-matched, low impedance injectors for about $240 (new). They show a spec of "2.35 Ohm coil resistance/low impedance/low-z" (whatever the heck "low z" is. . .)

I'm assuming I'll need to add resistors totalling up to 3.15 Ohms inline on the injector signal wires to bring these up to 5.5 Ohms to be compatible with the weird Motronic 5.5 ohm signal and not torch the DME, right?

I'm sure some of you guys on here have done this before - any good recommendations on which resistors to use? I kinda' don't want to trust Radio-Hack grade technology on my 951. . .
Old 09-07-2006 | 10:15 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Search will show you the way.
Old 09-07-2006 | 11:10 AM
Advanced

Any REAL help out there on this board?
Old 09-07-2006 | 11:47 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Do a Google on 2 ohm 25 watt resistors.

"Z" is impedance.
Old 09-07-2006 | 01:06 PM
Advanced

Thanks, I'll check it. I was wondering if there were any specific ones for automotive applications that someone might recommend, but it sounds (more or less) like a resistor is a resistor. Good enough I guess.
Old 09-07-2006 | 01:13 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
Any REAL help out there on this board?
Don't make me spoon feed you.

follow the bread crumbs that a two second search revealed.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...referrerid=204

Here is a bonus one....

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...tors+injectors
Old 09-07-2006 | 02:20 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I'll check it. I was wondering if there were any specific ones for automotive applications that someone might recommend, but it sounds (more or less) like a resistor is a resistor. Good enough I guess.
I agree, however, most in here seem to go withthe "heat sink" style of resistors.
Old 09-07-2006 | 09:45 PM
Advanced

No offense, but if I wanted a static database of search information, I'd go to Clark's Garage or something like that. The advantage of a forum is that you get current and timely information validated by honest-to-goodness individuals. With a static searchable database, it's far too easy for information to become outdated or stale quickly, and then never get updated.

So anyway, a static database (or searchable one) is great for information that doesn't change - like how to change a timing belt. It's pretty ****-poor for questions like "what's the latest knowledge/pricing someone has about XXX?" See the distinction?

I love these people that love to slap others with "use the search feature" for everything (on this web forum and a number of others I've seen). Ultimately they're just a-hole wanna'-be moderators. No offense, don't take it personally, but it comes off as a pretty dickheaded move. Just don't be a deek and nobody will accuse anyone of being one, k?

Why does it bother you so much anyway? 'cause I put less than a kilobyte of bandwidth onto an Internet web site? Do you have some huge lock on ballast resistor market share and you want to quash the thread lest your near-monopoly and plans for ensuing world domination be thwarted by the public sharing of knowledge on the subject?

Boo hoo.

Last edited by PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche; 09-07-2006 at 09:50 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-07-2006 | 09:56 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No offense, but if I wanted a static database of search information, I'd go to Clark's Garage or something like that. The advantage of a forum is that you get current and timely information validated by honest-to-goodness individuals. With a static searchable database, it's far too easy for information to become outdated or stale quickly, and then never get updated.

So anyway, a static database (or searchable one) is great for information that doesn't change - like how to change a timing belt. It's pretty ****-poor for questions like "what's the latest knowledge/pricing someone has about XXX?" See the distinction?

I love these people that love to slap others with "use the search feature" for everything (on this web forum and a number of others I've seen). Ultimately they're just a-hole wanna'-be moderators. No offense, don't take it personally, but it comes off as a pretty dickheaded move. Just don't be a deek and nobody will accuse anyone of being one, k?

Why does it bother you so much anyway? 'cause I put less than a kilobyte of bandwidth onto an Internet web site? Do you have some huge lock on ballast resistor market share and you want to quash the thread lest your near-monopoly and plans for ensuing world domination be thwarted by the public sharing of knowledge on the subject?

Boo hoo.
LOL, I would say there are some quicker to pull the 'use the search' button quicker then others. BUT testarossa did provide you a link...

Rogue
Old 09-08-2006 | 11:29 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Boo hoo.
Youza!
Knowledge is power. First you get the power then you get the women
I can only imagine what it said pre-edit
Old 09-08-2006 | 12:30 PM
George D
Drifting

Just put a carb on it.

G
Old 09-08-2006 | 12:37 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOLLEY 750 DOUBLE PUMPER!!!
Old 09-08-2006 | 01:04 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...245586&Site=US

2 ohm %1 tolerance 25 watt resistor in aluminum housing. Im assuming the value of 2 ohms is correct. $4.50 each.
Old 09-08-2006 | 01:17 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since your a local guy, I won't level the launchers at ya just yet...

I'm not one to preach about the virtues of being polite, but judging from the responses here, it wouldn't hurt to exercise some. I'm pretty quick to launch a "go search" post and the only time I show restraint is when the person doesn't really know what the question is that they are searching for. That's called lost.

PHP Code:
timely information validated by honest-to-goodness individuals 
for the level of mods you are doing, ten year old data still applies to your 20 year old plant.

OT, I've written a few posts on the injectors mainly comprised from what I have learned form previous searches, vendor data, and web searches. If you can't find what you are looking for, then start a thread stating so, or PM a knowledgeable poster from one of your searches.

My typing is pretty slow, and it kinda irritates me that I took the time to do this, hopefully it was worth my while.
Old 09-08-2006 | 03:19 PM
ApexCars
Pro

What I really like is that a new user with 65 posts who is about to start down the upgrade road, which means he/she is gonna have lots of questions and need lots of help, is attacking a user with over 3000 posts. No offense, don't take it personally, but it comes off as a pretty dickheaded move. Just don't be a deek and nobody will accuse anyone of being one, k?

Poor may not know yet what a helpful and well thought of member Testarossa is, but it might have been a good idea to check before calling him an "-hole wanna'-be moderator." I bet Poor doesn't get any really cool avatars for quite some time.

Quick Reply: Injector upgrade questions