Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

89 951 dyno chart

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 07:54 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ST, did you ever think about raising your compression ratio so that you don't have to run 28+psi to achieve the power levels you want? This would lower your intake temps considerable if you only had to run 1.5 bar max
Old 02-20-2007, 05:13 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

It's easy to get fooled by the flat tq curve of those turbo's.
Personally I'm all about flat tq curves and top end VE but the reason the tq curve is so flat on those dyno's aren't because the engine has better VE but because the turbo is too big to get decent midrange. The curve is flat, but low. Not saying they're bad charts, just that some people (me included!) first got fooled by the flat curve and thought the engine had some nice VE improving mods.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Duke
It's easy to get fooled by the flat tq curve of those turbo's.
Personally I'm all about flat tq curves and top end VE but the reason the tq curve is so flat on those dyno's aren't because the engine has better VE but because the turbo is too big to get decent midrange. The curve is flat, but low. Not saying they're bad charts, just that some people (me included!) first got fooled by the flat curve and thought the engine had some nice VE improving mods.

Exactly. I wasn't being fooled by this, I was just a bit surprised as about 99% of the 951 dynos out there always have torque dropping off significantly on the top-end, so I was beginning to think it would be a huge pain to maintain torque on the top-end. I guess I underestimated the capability of just running a big @ss turbo! Of course further VE increasing mods will only help this.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:46 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Exactly. I wasn't being fooled by this, I was just a bit surprised as about 99% of the 951 dynos out there always have torque dropping off significantly on the top-end, so I was beginning to think it would be a huge pain to maintain torque on the top-end. I guess I underestimated the capability of just running a big @ss turbo! Of course further VE increasing mods will only help this.

Guessing again?
When will you prove yourself right?
Old 02-20-2007, 12:45 PM
George D
Drifting

When is the wrestling match between you two? Do you guys know each other?

George
Old 02-20-2007, 01:17 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by George D

George
I dunno about a match, it will be more like Special Tool bitch slapping porschephile
Old 02-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by special tool
Guessing again?
When will you prove yourself right?
No guessing, just personal real-life experience. I don't have anything to prove, I know what I know and where I stand. Besides how do you prove something to people that still think the stock exhaust is fine on a 400+whp car, stock injectors perfectly fine for 500hp, and that their 400whp cars could take a 700hp Supra at a highway roll race.

If I only had a dollar for every time we've quoted each other!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:35 PM
George D
Drifting

I've never heard anyone say that they have a 500hp 951 using stock injectors, or use the stock exhaust for a 400whp car. I've never heard anyone say that their 400whp car will take a 700hp car, at least not a drag type race.

What are you talking about?

G
Old 02-20-2007, 05:37 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

I've never heard anyone say that they have a 500hp 951 using stock injectors, or use the stock exhaust for a 400whp car. I've never heard anyone say that their 400whp car will take a 700hp car, at least not a drag type race.

G
lurk around on this board. You'll hear all kinds of stupid ****.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

G

Hehe, maybe you missed some of the threads in the last few months:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/320628-8-valve-500-hp-944-turbo-excellence-82-dec-1998-a.html

Okay well, that was the only one I could find after a quick search. Anyways, there are plenty of ridiculous threads like that in the 951 section and strangely enough there is usually never a lack of people to support ridiculous claims with no hard evidence or basis in reality. I guess that's just the internet for you.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:34 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

We are all a little perplexed. The dyno charts prior to the 951 MAX chips were not this good on the tq curve. We did four runs and the tq curve was the same. Even if the dyno wasn't right, having 350tq at 6500 is bizarre on a 2.5 motor.

This dyno is certified for the Supra shootouts and they have 9 second honda at the shop. They are the read deal when it comes to the rice community. Some of the fastest Supra's in the world are built here.

George
The dyno curves are very good, agree large turbo with big back housing ..
the continuous climp of the hp and the flatening of the T/Q shows the possibility of the boost climbing with rpm .

what was the boost level at 4000 rpm vs 6500 rpm
Old 02-20-2007, 08:48 PM
George D
Drifting

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...ad.php?t=320628

Well, looks like you are talking to someone that lives here in AZ, and personally knew Cervelli, and Rains. I, personally saw Graham's car, and it did have this power on stock injectors. Powerhaus and Technodyne (Cervelli) helped build my first 89 951 back in the day, and we were running 350 wheel hp on stock injectors. Graham raced his 2.8 89 951, and I know it was very reliable. So, yes, you can get 400whp using stock injectors. Best setup, no.

Cervelli had an original factory 968 Turbo 3.0 in his race car and was usually number one in points in NASA.

This is not a very good example of what you are trying to state.

George
Old 02-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...ad.php?t=320628

Well, looks like you are talking to someone that lives here in AZ, and personally knew Cervelli, and Rains. I, personally saw Graham's car, and it did have this power on stock injectors. Powerhaus and Technodyne (Cervelli) helped build my first 89 951 back in the day, and we were running 350 wheel hp on stock injectors. Graham raced his 2.8 89 951, and I know it was very reliable. So, yes, you can get 400whp using stock injectors. Best setup, no.

Cervelli had an original factory 968 Turbo 3.0 in his race car and was usually number one in points in NASA.

This is not a very good example of what you are trying to state.

George
Lets not get into the injector vs HP debate again.

Rogue
Old 02-20-2007, 09:40 PM
George D
Drifting

Not gonna happen. I just had to stick up for some of the best 951 tuners during the early days of these cars. Cervelli and Rains did alot of R & D back then. They were some of the first to put bigger turbos and such on these cars. They even worked with Autothority to make the first MAF system and chip upgrades. Cervelli was the first tuner to put Garrett turbo's on our cars.

I remember when they were running 300whp cars and I had a 85.5 NA 944. I would just drool over seeing their cars. That was 18 years ago. I was in my mid 20's. I didn't get my first 89 951 till I was about 28 and they helped me get that car to run.

I took such good care of that car. It's now in LA with a 3.0 going in as I type. That car is going to be a monster.

I'll shutup now.

George
Old 02-20-2007, 09:44 PM
special tool
Banned

George

We were at Rikers together - he was my punk.

Quick Reply: 89 951 dyno chart