Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Really saw what my car was packing today..

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 12:11 AM
Zedmau5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really saw what my car was packing today..

took out the car for my first real drive today to see what its made of... 87 turbo, the torque after about 1/2 way up the tach put a ginormous smile on my face, it filled me so full of joy that i nearly pissed myself laughing (an evil, villan type laugh) The car has OUTSTANDING highway power as well, like ive never felt before. Tomorrow night is windy road night

I LOVE THIS CAR, they werent lying when they said there is no substitute.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:43 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just keep the shiney side up!
Old 08-31-2006, 01:58 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always get like that when I haven't driven the 951 for a few days...... my wife wonders why I come inside grinning from ear to ear like a complete idiot.....
I guess some people just don't understand
Old 08-31-2006, 02:44 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ibkevin
Just keep the shiney side up!
Old 08-31-2006, 02:49 AM
George D
Drifting

Just wait till the boost bug hits. I'll never forget the first time I put a head, K27/6, MAF, and other stuff that got my first 89 951 up to 330 wheel hp. That was 8 years ago. My current 89 is much better than that one. These are truly amazing cars.

George
Old 08-31-2006, 02:59 AM
Zedmau5
Instructor

Originally Posted by George D
Just wait till the boost bug hits. I'll never forget the first time I put a head, K27/6, MAF, and other stuff that got my first 89 951 up to 330 wheel hp. That was 8 years ago. My current 89 is much better than that one. These are truly amazing cars.

George
oh... i've GOT the bug already! My Money is in the works for a Lindsey Racing Chipset, boost enhancer, 3.0 bar Bosche FPR, and 2 wastegate shims (+ about 45 hp). Also id like a 3" Borla exhaust, and maybe a MBC to bump the boost up a tiny bit (maybe a dual stage MBC.. one to the stock psi level and the other to 13psi, i have stock turbo and internals/heads so i dont want to risk damaging anything) I dont wanna go too crazy on mods, id just like to bump up the HP and Torque a little the smart way.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:44 AM
ApexCars
Pro

I'm gonna tell you what everyone else will. Vitesse Chips all the way. Good luck on not going crazy on mods. The best way to do that is stay off the boards, stay away from anyone who has a modded 951 or any other high end sports car for that matter, and drive the car very seldom so that you never get used to the power you are making.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:58 AM
special tool
Banned

Just go easy dude - it will bite you....
ESPECIALLY up there in cowhampshire - you probably have 2 feet of snow on the ground already.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:47 AM
Zedmau5
Instructor

Originally Posted by special tool
Just go easy dude - it will bite you....
ESPECIALLY up there in cowhampshire - you probably have 2 feet of snow on the ground already.
i already have a daily driver, my taurus (LINK), the porsche is going to be put away in a heated garage for the winter, that baby will never see snow.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:18 AM
George D
Drifting

Russell with Max Chips is doing extensive work with Lindsey and will be Lindsey's chip burner. I just purchsed a set for my car designed with my head, mafterburner, super75 turbo, and all the other stuff on my car. I'm installing it on Friday and will post.

Vitesse is also great. You can't go wrong either way. There are many opinions as to the best modification road. Vision what you want your car to become, and work with whomever you feel most comfortable with. Using the best shops and vendors will eventually get you to where you want. I feel the most important part is that you completly trust who you are doing business with.

With a stock suspension and brakes on a non S, adding parts that get you to 300 to 340hp will be close to the limits of the stock suspension and brake components of the car. These cars are OVERACHIEVERS. They are faster than other sports cars with similar hp.

Have fun with your car. Be safe. I know your area. My wife is from Portsmouth and I am from Cape Elizabeth. We both live in AZ now, but visit up there every other year.

George
Old 08-31-2006, 10:22 AM
George D
Drifting

Also,

You will barely tickle your engines tummy running 16psi with FPR, chipset, etc. Get a downpipe. That is a HUGE bang for the buck. Right now, your cat is a BIG restriction. This is especially true if it's the original one!

George
Old 08-31-2006, 11:44 AM
Douglas Sorrells
Racer

the torque after about 1/2 way up the tach put a ginormous smile on my face, it filled me so full of joy that i nearly pissed myself laughing (an evil, villan type laugh).
You know that's exactly how I feel everytime I take the car out It just dosent seem to quit amazing me how damn quick & fast these cars are!

I figured I wasn't the only one!

Old 08-31-2006, 12:19 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ApexCars
I'm gonna tell you what everyone else will. Vitesse Chips all the way. Good luck on not going crazy on mods. The best way to do that is stay off the boards, stay away from anyone who has a modded 951 or any other high end sports car for that matter, and drive the car very seldom so that you never get used to the power you are making.
LOL!!

Yea, just drive it and pretend no one else owns a 951
Old 08-31-2006, 12:23 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Mods?

fix any possible leaks first.
Chip kits (VR or 951Max - Lindsey)
Cat test pipe
Boost guage
Wastegate
Old 08-31-2006, 12:48 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by xSHAWNoftheDEAD
Tomorrow night is windy road night
Have a windy road day or two before you decide to see what she'll do at night. These cars were designed for windy roads, not just straight lines. But night time introduces other variables, depth perception changes, wild animals popping up in your path, drunk drivers, kids in dark clothing, etc.

If you really want to REALLY feel what these cars are capable of, and truly appreciate them I suggest joining up with your local PCA chapter and getting involved with DE. It's inexpensive to join, and track time is cheap. A typical 2 day event with my local region at Watkins Glen cost 200-300 bucks, and in my opinion is the cheapest thrill ride you can get ANYWHERE. You get great instruction, get to hang out with great people, and most importantly you get to go REALLY FAST!

There really is no substitute...

Regards,
Russell

Quick Reply: Really saw what my car was packing today..