Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why do I still smell like exhaust after driving with the windows down??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 09:45 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy Why do I still smell like exhaust after driving with the windows down??

I don't know what else to do. I have replaced the hatch seal, reglued my seperating hatch frame and adjusted the hatch properly(at least I think I have), made sure all the exhaust connections were tight in my SFR setup, yet I still have a faint smell of exhaust on me if I drive with the windows down. I have even taken the hose on full blast around the hatch frame to check for leaks and its good and sealed. Like I mentioned, I have a full 3" SFR exhaust on the car with no cat etc. so I don't know if this could be to blame partially due to the straight through exhaust or what? I don't have any exhaust leaks around the engine, in fact all the crush washers have been replaced and everything is in proper order. But I can't figure out why I still get an exhaust smell on me after driving with the windows down. Any ideas?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:31 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the same.

I come into the office and smell like I was hanging out at the gas station.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:03 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Me too I have the SFR x-over pipe, dp, headers and test pipe and I can smell the exhaust even at fwy speeds with the windows down or up, ac on or off, sunroof up or down, the freaking exhaust smell is there and I also have a new hatch seal.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:10 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

What seals are there around the firewall???? Could that be it?

and the winows being open only helps pull the air more so through the firewall leaks, if any?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull your tail lights. You’ll be amazed at how bad the factory adhesive seal looks after 20 years. Clean off the old goo and reinstall with butyl tape.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:43 PM
wi54545
Burning Brakes

Could it be that it stinks because of no cat? I have a full 3" fabspeed exhaust. I just put on their race cat to take care of the stink! No more gas station attendant smell for me!
Old 08-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

lol......I just got into the office and I am sure I have the exhaust smell on me cause I could smell it in the car. My thought was that it was coming up through the drain hole in the back where the spare tire goes. Although I am missing a few clamps on the exhaust joints that I just never put in. I am also running pretty rich so I thought that was a contributing factor.

Trending Topics

Old 08-10-2006, 01:10 PM
smiths944t
Advanced

No cat I dont think so. I have a european 951 and it came with no cat and i've never had that smell. The only smell I had was a strong gas smell in the car, lmao I had a lot of headaches before I did something about it.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure your headers arent cracked under the shields? Mine seemed to leak when you boost hard i would get a strong exhaust smell. Then later on I pulled the shields off my manifolds and the 2-3 was cracked where they merge.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

hmmm.....this could be possible......and its an easy check........I also get a heavier exhaust smell after strong boost but I just figured that was becuase more exhaust was coming out of the tail pipe and somehow finding its way in the cabin (like throught the drain hole I mentioned before)
Old 08-10-2006, 01:50 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cory9584
Are you sure your headers arent cracked under the shields? Mine seemed to leak when you boost hard i would get a strong exhaust smell. Then later on I pulled the shields off my manifolds and the 2-3 was cracked where they merge.
I am using the SFR stage II headers, no cracks, the smell isn't coming from the front of the car, it's exhaust fumes that i smell and since I am using 25% xylene it is very strong
Old 08-10-2006, 01:52 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Andial951
hmmm.....this could be possible......and its an easy check........I also get a heavier exhaust smell after strong boost but I just figured that was becuase more exhaust was coming out of the tail pipe and somehow finding its way in the cabin (like throught the drain hole I mentioned before)
sometimes I am just crusing no hard accelartion and I can smell the fumes. As a matter of fact the fumes can be smell stronger when I am just cruising, at wot i don't smell nothing
Old 08-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Potent,

Try replacing the inside shift boot. I forgot the exact name of it. Call Sunset and they have it.

It's the rubber shift boot that is underneath the leather one.

When you open the windows you are creating a vacuum. If the only thing between the interior of the car and under the car is a loose thin leather shift boot, then you are pulling in air through the shift boot. any exhaust smell under the car..........and maybe that's the problem/solution.

good luck.

David
Old 08-10-2006, 02:33 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cory9584
I do notice mine more so when boosting. But I see full boost about when I should for my turbo, so don't think they are leaking.

I also checked them with the "leaf blower up the tail pipe" approach. It was highly technical and the neighbors got a kick out of my "german engineering"

LOL

Is there another or better way to check for leaks in the headers?
Old 08-10-2006, 02:36 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Blueman33
Potent,

Try replacing the inside shift boot. I forgot the exact name of it. Call Sunset and they have it.

It's the rubber shift boot that is underneath the leather one.

When you open the windows you are creating a vacuum. If the only thing between the interior of the car and under the car is a loose thin leather shift boot, then you are pulling in air through the shift boot. any exhaust smell under the car..........and maybe that's the problem/solution.

good luck.

David

AHHHHHHHHH. you know, I changed my stock shifter and boot to a MOMO and it might have started when I did that. It seems like the same time frame of when I started to notice it.

It was a pain to get it on and have it look right so I hate to have to open it up again.

Quick Reply: Why do I still smell like exhaust after driving with the windows down??