Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My Friend's MOTEC 968 turbo is on eBay.. :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:30 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the owner knows full well what the average person would pay for the car, and that he'll never get what it's really worth, even with the right buyer. But I also think the owner is advertising the car to the few select people who really KNOW about the car already, and have the funds to pay a lot of money for it.

Forget about how much the car is worth or what's put into it. Think about how much it would cost to replicate it right now, today. That's your market value right there.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:31 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, imagine trying to figure out a solution the day that car wont start or starts running poorly! Luckily, it will most likely be bought by another collector type.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:17 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I just love the pessimist's in this world. Someone always has to **** on another person's parade. If you can't appreciate what it took to build this car, its not for you.
Try doing a project like this, you will know how much it will cost. This car was built, no expense spared. That means the best of everything. The engine management work was performed by Jon Milledge. Most of the car was put together by KMR. Just to give you an idea how much KMR work costs, I just sold a race car that was built by KMR. Total bill, a whopping $128K. Raceshops like KMR are not cheap. You can't nickle and dime them.
As far as 968's not being a sales sucess, neither were the 944 turbo S. No one wanted to pay that sort of money in the late 80's and early 90's. These were the last of the hand built cars. They cost more money to build.
If one cannot appreciate this car, they really have no appreciation for machinery.
Regards.
Raj
Old 08-09-2006, 11:21 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a factory 968 turbo?
Old 08-09-2006, 12:04 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Todd, its not a factory turbo. A factory turbo would not be street legal in US either.
Raj
Old 08-09-2006, 12:13 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 151 Posts

Raj – Whoah….easy there fella!!! I assume your reply is directed to me? I never once stated that the build quality of the car was nothing short of impressive, I completely respect and I am blown away by the R&D, fabrication and $$$ spent on the car, there is no denying that or questioning that. If I was in the market for a car like this I would be all over it, providing the price is right.

The fact is, the 968 has a very low following, it is not highly sought after but that does not take away from the fact it is a great machine all day long. It was introduced at a time when Porsche was waist high in financial woes and when the North American buying population only wanted SUVs and Pick-ups…great cars died during this time..cars that had a wonderful legacy think Supra Turbo, 300ZX Twin Turbo and RX7 as well.

So a highly modified 968 regardless of how amazing it is built and developed will only cater to a tiny percentage, a sliver if you will of the buying population out there. Take for example bone stock 911 Turbos bring-in more $$$ than a highly developed high hp car. Most people are scared of buying these cars for the fear of what happens if something breaks, they cannot simply take it to a dealership or their local independent to sort it out. A true enthusiast is what this car appeals to.

I have dumped more money into cars than I care to admit only to re-coup a small % when they are sold, that’s the breaks of this hobby. Either you live with it, or its not for you.

Plus his eBay ad simply sucks. There is ABSOLUTELY no description, the pictures are terrible and the interior pictures show nothing but black, you think a guy that has over $100K invested in his car could afford a $40 flash?

BTW I am not a pessimist, simply stating facts, I am always “the glass is half full” kind of guy.

Again I wish the seller my best because it is a great car – I dig it!
Yasin
Old 08-09-2006, 12:24 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Yasin, it was not aimed directly at you. Forgive me it I came across as too harsh. At the end of the day its always a buyer's market. Lets see what this one fetches.
Raj
Old 08-09-2006, 07:06 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You know, I love the car and it was one of the cars that gave me inspiration to build mine. I will second that his ad on ebay sucks. I would have enlarged the excellence article so everyone could read it better. I still read it but my eyes were teary afterwards from straining. That car needs way more pics too. Terrible ad, fantastic car. Hell, if I wasn't feeding on all the foreclosures out here I'd buy it myself. Seriously.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:03 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 151 Posts

Why all the foreclosures in Las Vegas?

Too many over their head...gambling addicitons...what gives?

Yasin
Old 08-09-2006, 10:46 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

People got really greedy trying to flip houses. No no one is buying for what they're asking. Market is way overpriced now. It will catch up in a year and a half to two years but not before people lose their asses.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

People got really greedy trying to flip houses. No no one is buying for what they're asking. Market is way overpriced now. It will catch up in a year and a half to two years but not before people lose their asses.
You just described Vancouver BC Canada, in about 1 year from now. In two years, when the interest rate screams up, I'll be snatching up the foreclosures too! It's a big cycle...
Old 08-10-2006, 12:50 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
You just described Vancouver BC Canada, in about 1 year from now. In two years, when the interest rate screams up, I'll be snatching up the foreclosures too! It's a big cycle...
Amen to that. My neighbors are each into their houses for 3/4+ million. Up the block, even more.

The lots are the size of my parents backyard
Old 08-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote from 968.net

Too bad the engine is blown on the Motec Turbo. Apparently the engine software for the Motec is lost and KMR and/or Motec engineering are not eagerly giving that stuff up. Divorce case forces the sale I'm told and there are liens and writs of enforcement throughout Canada preventing its sale. Buyer beware.

I've also been told that the actual owner is not further sure about the whereabouts of all the books and records. As far as the mileage is concerned it's fraudulently represented and far greater than 5000. There is one accident unrecorded and numerous undercarriage accidents. Go figure. 450 hp rear wheel drive, there's no limited slip that's going to keep that on the road. So what would an engine rebuild at KMR go for nowadays?

Nice car, sad situation.
http://65.61.16.109/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12601

Rich, as far as you know, is this correct? If so, the eBay ad would lack more than just a few additional pics..

I'm also curious about the current 9 bids on the car, all bids are private listings, coincidence or the same bidder raising the stakes?

Regards,
Chris

Last edited by Kit_Chris; 08-10-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Too bad the engine is blown on the Motec Turbo. Apparently the engine software for the Motec is lost and KMR and/or Motec engineering are not eagerly giving that stuff up. Divorce case forces the sale I'm told and there are liens and writs of enforcement throughout Canada preventing its sale. Buyer beware.

I've also been told that the actual owner is not further sure about the whereabouts of all the books and records. As far as the mileage is concerned it's fraudulently represented and far greater than 5000. There is one accident unrecorded and numerous undercarriage accidents. Go figure. 450 hp rear wheel drive, there's no limited slip that's going to keep that on the road. So what would an engine rebuild at KMR go for nowadays?

Nice car, sad situation.
Those comments were posted by my friend, who owned the car when I saw it. I did not know he had already sold it...

I didn't know that the motor is blown and that there are liens and such on it.

Maybe this is the purrrrfect situation for me to swoop in on...
Old 08-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch, if these comments are accurate, this is a major scam. Unless things were different in Alberta I don't think a sale could be blocked because of liens, the sale would go through and creditors would give the new owner a surprise visit sometime later, there are provincial agencies providing info about liens and such but most buyers never bother to look it up.

I'm not sure whether the eBay bids are legit but 38K$ for a damaged car with broken exotic mechanicals seems too high already.

Regards,
Chris

Quick Reply: My Friend's MOTEC 968 turbo is on eBay.. :(