My Friend's MOTEC 968 turbo is on eBay.. :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 04:19 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Friend's MOTEC 968 turbo is on eBay.. :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...QQcmdZViewItem

Nooooo.... I want to get another ride in it before it disappears...
Old 08-08-2006, 07:35 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember that car and reading about it in excellence. That's a steal. It should be for way more.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:16 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sparse on the details, isnt it Turbo'd too?

Im gonna tell Travis about this one, maybe hell buy it
Old 08-08-2006, 05:43 PM
PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sports cars in general aren't fetching squat against their "real value" right now - we're heading into a deflationary cycle. He'd probably be better off keeping it for a couple years. He'll almost certainly lose his shirt on that if he sells it now.

But I agree - beautiful ride. Going to be a steal for someone with bags of green stuff.

Lemmee guess - bad RE investments?
Old 08-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he didn't get ebay to host the pics and my work filter is cutting them out - "****", yeah automotive - damn big brother.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:04 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice looking car.. I talked to the prior owner few years back. It'll be a shame if this car doesn't bring $40k+.. But then again the market is soft...
Old 08-08-2006, 06:22 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

sexalicious
Old 08-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

I know the prior owner, who sent me some detailed pictures a few years ago. I'll post them later if I can find them.

When this car was first put together it had the stock M-030 suspension. The first time they tried to accelerate hard the suspension could not handle the power and the tires ripped off the fender flares. Kind of embarrasing.

Last edited by Tom Pultz; 08-08-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:00 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom Pultz
I know the prior owner, who sent me some detailed pictures a few years ago. I'll post them later if I can find them.

When this car was first put together it had the stock M-30 suspension. The first time they tried to accelerate hard the suspension could not handle the power and the tires ripped off the fender flares. Kind of embarrasing.
Oh yeah.... Thats awsome
Old 08-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wonder what the specs are? The listing doesnt say anything about it
Old 08-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw the car in person a year before I got my 951. I didn't really know much about the car except that it was a killer 968 turbo. Pretty much the apex of modded 968 turbo's.

So, a year later, I'm bookin' it down the highway enroute to a PCA meet. I'm doin' a good clip. I noticed a glint in my rearview, quickly growing brighter, and yellower. I instantly recognised it as the MOTEC 968.

He flew by me, and I followed until we ran into my friend Lance's car, on the side of the road, with the hood up. So we both stopped. We tried switching DME relays, but to no avail. The ignition was intermittant. (It turned out later that the reference sensors were toast)

We got Lance's car running again, but a few miles later, it crashed into a concrete divider, trying to avoid a semi in an offramp. The MoTeC and I stayed behind to help out Lance, while the other 15 cars continued on the convoy. After Lance was towed away, this left just me and the MoTeC to do the 3.5 hour drive to Ossooyoos on our own. It was awsome! Twisty mtn roads all the way. Passing Vettes in the (double lane) corners, and even getting tagged by the fuzz, (disputed the ticket and won! haha!)

Afterwards, we hung out and talked about the car.. the owner told me a bunch of stories about it.. gave me a ride.. Nothing like wheelspin in 5th gear!

Anyways, needless to say, I'm sad to see the car up for sale. If could straight up trade my 951 and 968 + cash for this MoTeC, I would do it in a heartbeat. I know that well over $200,000 went into this car. The original car's price must've been nearly $100,000, + the $65,000 that the doctor put into it, +$50,000 easily that went into it afterwards...

If anyone were to recreate this car, it would cost close to $100,000 right now. There are a lot of high performance custom-KMR specialty items on the car.

more photos:
http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albup02?page=1
Old 08-08-2006, 08:20 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
I saw the car in person a year before I got my 951. I didn't really know much about the car except that it was a killer 968 turbo. Pretty much the apex of modded 968 turbo's.

So, a year later, I'm bookin' it down the highway enroute to a PCA meet. I'm doin' a good clip. I noticed a glint in my rearview, quickly growing brighter, and yellower. I instantly recognised it as the MOTEC 968.
[img]http://gallery.rennlist.com/albums/albup02/Img_1815.sized.jpg[/ig]

He flew by me, and I followed until we ran into my friend Lance's car, on the side of the road, with the hood up. So we both stopped. We tried switching DME relays, but to no avail. The ignition was intermittant. (It turned out later that the reference sensors were toast)

[img]http://gallery.rennlist.com/albums/albup02/Img_1820.sized.jpg[/ig]

We got Lance's car running again, but a few miles later, it crashed into a concrete divider, trying to avoid a semi in an offramp. The MoTeC and I stayed behind to help out Lance, while the other 15 cars continued on the convoy. After Lance was towed away, this left just me and the MoTeC to do the 3.5 hour drive to Ossooyoos on our own. It was awsome! Twisty mtn roads all the way. Passing Vettes in the (double lane) corners, and even getting tagged by the fuzz, (disputed the ticket and won! haha!)
[img]http://gallery.rennlist.com/albums/albup02/Img_1834.sized.jpg[/ig]

[img]http://gallery.rennlist.com/albums/albup02/Img_1867.sized.jpg[/ig]

Afterwards, we hung out and talked about the car.. the owner told me a bunch of stories about it.. gave me a ride.. Nothing like wheelspin in 5th gear!

[img]http://gallery.rennlist.com/albums/albup02/Img_1881.sized.jpg[/ig]

Anyways, needless to say, I'm sad to see the car up for sale. If could straight up trade my 951 and 968 + cash for this MoTeC, I would do it in a heartbeat. I know that well over $200,000 went into this car. The original car's price must've been nearly $100,000, + the $65,000 that the doctor put into it, +$50,000 easily that went into it afterwards...

If anyone were to recreate this car, it would cost close to $100,000 right now. There are a lot of high performance custom-KMR specialty items on the car.

more photos:
http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albup02?page=1
Hey Rich can you MSN me his email address or something? I might visit Calgary sometime in Sept and if it isnt sold id pay for a ride in it Or a chance to drive it
Old 08-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory9584
i wonder what the specs are? The listing doesnt say anything about it
I believe the HP was something like 587 on race gas, give or take.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:44 PM
jturbo
Racer

What is the reserve set at?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:18 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

That is a cool car and obviously beautifully fabricated and great attention to detail....but here are the "downers" and why it probably will NOT fetch big $$

1) Firstly its a used car...and a used Porsche at that

2) Secondly its a 968 which never had a great market here in the U.S \ Canada

3) Thirdly many potential buyers are scared crapless of buying a highly modified car...especially a highly modified Porsche..one that they think will break down and have them scrambling for their retirement funds to fix, regardless how well it was built

4) Fourth some people are just plain scared of high horsepower cars...regardless how well it was built

5) Fifth considering this car has over $100K into it, the eBay ad really truly sucks. Put yourself in the seat of a potential buyer, would you spend north of $50K for a car that was poorly described on Ebay (especially a highly modified one)...I think not. Lots of deatail, a great write-up and tons and tons of pics is what helps gets these cars bigger prices. Look at this pic...its a beautiful picture of what....? Black and a feint "Recaro" in the background...a flash is a beautiful thing -c'mon man you can do better than that surely?

6) Its our hobby we end up throwing money at them and NEVER see it...its a sad, but a harsh truth....and its $$$ you have to write off.

I wish him luck.
Yasin

Quick Reply: My Friend's MOTEC 968 turbo is on eBay.. :(